CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

You ask about a welder and various other tools...

Those quick automatic dimming weld hoods, ones that you can see through when not striking an arc, should not even be a second thought to have, they're nice!

If you work on your Harley, a special trans sprocket socket (for that sprocket/pulley nut to the secondary drive), Is a handy tool to have. They are built to clear the trans shaft diameter and length (deep well). Mine is homemade off a lathe & milling machine, but I have seen them welded together that work fine.

How big do you want to go?

In my shop I have an old Bridgeport vertical milling machine. With it I have most of the collet sizes, clamp down set, tooling, special fly cutters, indicators, and a rotary table for it. Lots of the time it's just a glorified drill press, but I can set up to bore cylinders if I chose. I swapped the 3 phase motor to a single phase 240V because the availability not in my hood for 3 phase.

Maybe get a portable air tank, (I call an air basket), for when a compressor is not near by.

The list could go on depending on your aspirations to this open ended request...

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks to VFDs (which offer dialup precise speed control) there's no longer much need to convert three phase machine tools, and three phase motors are slightly smoother thus producing slightly better cuts (mostly irrelevant on old BPs like thine and mine).

I bought the Lincoln LE31MP and some accessories on sunday and after A few checks I'll probably go pick up that Porter Cable air compressor. After that I'll start to pick up some power tools. I mainly needed the welder to weld up my license plate bracket to my sissy bar so I can get my bike back on the road.

10scDust, I doubt I'll get into machining, I haven't done much fabricating yet, besides making brackets or modifying something to fit, mostly bolt on stuff for my Sportster. If I did it would probably be something semi cheap for turning out spacers or bungs, maybe risers or small stuff.

Farmall, I'll still have someone come hook up a 240 outlet eventually. I'm still saving up to buy some land or a house with some land, and then I plan on getting a metal building built. And after that I can get some better tools. For what I do I can get by with what I have or what I'm gonna buy here soon, but I'd like to get into some more serious fabrication this winter if I can find a cheap Sportster to hardtail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210328_165100.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	293.4 KB 
ID:	109858

Name:	20210328_165056.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	293.9 KB 
ID:	109859

I picked up some 16 gauge sheet metal to practice on and some 1/2 bar steel, I wanna try to make a sissy bar like this for my Norcal sportster

Name:	acdc855ec5c7a95bc495a4a91dda15a2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	109860
    Last edited by SaddleTramp98; 03-30-2021 at 7:42 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleTramp98 View Post
    I doubt I'll get into machining
    Always that maybe, I get it, I was a machinist for one of the big three auto industry, retired now.
    Never got into a business of my own, just like to hobby it, (I don't like working for anybody else, let alone myself...lol), wanted the mill because to me it's a step better than a drill press, and you can do so much more with it. I'm always into making something...

I set my shop up for space and power for a lathe, of which I never acquired, and it seems the more space you have, the more motorcycles and stuff you end up fitting in there. One step at a time, it's all progress, and all we have is time.

BTW. I like the sissy bars!
    Last edited by 10scDust; 03-31-2021 at 6:07 AM.

Share This