Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kcanela
    • Mar 2022

I’m stumped, tried setting the points like 20 times still can’t get the bike to fire after like 20 kicks.. now my breather from my oil pump is leaking oil out of it?

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

If you are interested, I can walk you through all the steps to handle the ignition on this thing, but it's a lot of typing (on a little phone screen in my case). So, you need to be willing to do it, and that means ALL the steps. If you are interested, I'll have some time this evening to devote to it.

Jim

Comment

• rockman96
        • May 2018

I can't look at sideways pics. Looking good tho...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	012345.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1322549

Comment

• drivermark
          • May 2015

Jim has a write up for timing cone shovels and iron heads if you haven't seen it, it is here:

I just wrote this up, in answer to a PM, and I thought I would post it here. Probably been done a hundred times, so here is #101: If you have the original points, then you can static time the motor, and as a final check you can use a strobe timing light if you wish. First step is to remove the point plate, and then remove

Hope this helps and maybe saves Jim some typing on his phone.

I used these instructions when I converted my early evo to a points ignition so the kick start would work.
          Last edited by drivermark; 06-25-2022, 5:53 PM.

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by drivermark
            Jim has a write up for timing cone shovels and iron heads if you haven't seen it, it is here:

I just wrote this up, in answer to a PM, and I thought I would post it here. Probably been done a hundred times, so here is #101: If you have the original points, then you can static time the motor, and as a final check you can use a strobe timing light if you wish. First step is to remove the point plate, and then remove

I used these instructions when I converted my early evo to a points ignition so the kick start would work.
            Thanks for the link. Yeah, that should save me some typing.

Jim

Comment

• Kcanela
              • Mar 2022

Thanks man, I don’t know if it’s because I’m uploading through my phone but it wants to switch the pics to sideways and it’s annoying

Comment

• Kcanela
                • Mar 2022

I will look into this after work, on the flip side I already have rawhides new electronic ignition on the way should be here in a day or two Just in case these points give me no luck. @JBinNC I appreciate you replying

Comment

• Kcanela
                  • Mar 2022

So Where I’m kind of lost is after I have everything lined up for TDC and I move back to the points, am I turning the points plate counterclockwise all the way and THEN trying to turn the cam lobe counter clockwise aswell?? This is how I have been trying to time the motor. Points on skinny love set to 0.018, take pushrod cover out crank motor to where pushrod goes up and then comes back down. I would then go to the timing whole and crank until I saw vertical line in the window or dot because I tried both ways. Then I think my issue is at the points.. I would counter clockwise the plate and try to see that my test light would turn on when I rotated the plate clockwise but I never got the lives to open the points and would be left with no lights so I think my issue would be that I’m not physically turning the cam lobe to see the test light turn on? It’s just weird only a few posts mention that and everyone else is able to just have the plate turned counter clockwise and then they just turn them clockwise to get their test light to light up and they’re done. Not sure that it makes a difference but when I do get the points plate to turn my test light on the points spark a bit (I think that’s supposed to happen?) just no one ever said that in any posts or videos.

I’m starting to think something had to be messed with when this motor was put together being that it’s not bone stock. Anyways I have a new 5.0 ignition coil and rawhides electronic ignition on the way in a couple days so after that the bike will have completely new electronics.

Comment

• JBinNC
                    • Dec 2018

Since you are setting the advance timing, you must turn the point cam to its limit, to replicate the advance weights turning it as the motor revs up.

If your points are sparking noticeably when they open, you may have a bad condenser. And a bad condenser will make starting extremely difficult. If you even suspect it, replace it. It's hard to find good condensers these days. I've had the best luck with the Blue Streak condensers.

Jim

Comment

• Kcanela
                      • Mar 2022

Originally posted by JBinNC
                      Since you are setting the advance timing, you must turn the point cam to its limit, to replicate the advance weights turning it as the motor revs up.

If your points are sparking noticeably when they open, you may have a bad condenser. And a bad condenser will make starting extremely difficult. If you even suspect it, replace it. It's hard to find good condensers these days. I've had the best luck with the Blue Streak condensers.

Jim
                      The condenser is new, but it’s not the first time I’ve heard of people having bad ones from new. Apparently the convenience of points is to be able to buy parts anywhere so would you happen to know where I can get a new one?

Comment

• JBinNC
                        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Kcanela
                        The condenser is new, but it’s not the first time I’ve heard of people having bad ones from new. Apparently the convenience of points is to be able to buy parts anywhere so would you happen to know where I can get a new one?
                        NAPA, Advance, Auto Zone, O'Reilly, whatever auto parts retailer that might still exist in your area. Cone H-D points & condenser are the same as early '70s six cylinder Chevy.

Jim

Comment

• drivermark
                          • May 2015

"Apparently the convenience of points is to be able to buy parts anywhere"

That and the stock electronic ignitions are programmed to have 3 dead revolutions before they fire the spark plugs which makes the kicker useless, that is the reason I changed mine to points.
                          There are programmable ei's that you can use but points ignitions are dirt cheap compared to them and they (points) worked for decades on multiple platforms so that's what I went with.
                          They are not set it and forget it like the electronics but the maintenance is really minimal.

just my 2cents

Comment

• Kcanela
                            • Mar 2022

Originally posted by JBinNC
                            NAPA, Advance, Auto Zone, O'Reilly, whatever auto parts retailer that might still exist in your area. Cone H-D points & condenser are the same as early '70s six cylinder Chevy.

Jim
                            Sweet, I’ll test it out later and see what happens

Comment

• JBinNC
                              • Dec 2018

"Apparently the convenience of points is to be able to buy parts anywhere"

That and the stock electronic ignitions are programmed to have 3 dead revolutions before they fire the spark plugs which makes the kicker useless, that is the reason I changed mine to points.
                              There are programmable ei's that you can use but points ignitions are dirt cheap compared to them and they (points) worked for decades on multiple platforms so that's what I went with.
                              They are not set it and forget it like the electronics but the maintenance is really minimal.

just my 2cents
                              My go-to ignition for kicker bikes is the Dyna S. It uses the stock mechanical advance unit, and the stock 5 ohm coil that points use. Best of all, it will fire the plugs right down to zero rpm, and even points won't do that. Plus, you don't have to mess with the hit-or-miss modern condensers. All you have to do is service the advance unit annually.

Jim

Comment

• drivermark
                                • May 2015

Thanks Jim, I'll keep that in mind for future reference.
                                I did find this on condensers while surfing the net a while back it might be helpful for some

The article seems more car oriented but there is some useful info.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;