CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Howís my wiring diagram?

Hello!

This is my first time attempting any wiring on my bike and I wanted to run it by you guys before I go any farther. Can anyone see any any beginner mistakes or recommend any changes?

Iíll attach the stock wiring diagram from my manual. I just drew on top of it, using the stock wire colors to try & keep it clear. Sorry in advance for the long winded post, but I want to give you as much information as I can.

Itís a 1998 XLH883. Using stock ignition control module (5 wires. Black, pink, green, purple, white/black).

From what I understand, that green wire goes to bank angle sensor & needs to be grounded. Do I also ground that black wire? The purple wire goes to VOES. If I removes voes, would it be left open or grounded? Iíve read all about how deleting voes makes your bike run like shit, but some people said to ground it while others said to just leave it unplugged. Iíve been riding it with voes plugged into harness, but unhooked from carb (capped the carb) and bike has run great.

In the stock harness, the Ignition switch and the charging system share one 30amp circuit breaker. But I have seen some people like to run them on 2 separate 30amp breakers. Do I need a circuit breaker between battery and starter motor?

I forgot to picture it on the diagram, but I will just be using a starter solenoid push button. No relay. No turn signals, horn, or front brake switch obviously. Maybe an on/off switch for headlight, but right now I have it just always on.

If you read all that, thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C3D3449B-10F1-45B5-AAF1-84235C9BB826.jpg   02799329-A427-49C9-8C0A-56B8F6AE5F18.jpg  

No breaker on the batt-starter cable.
    Leave the voes capability, you may want it back , the voes has a black ground wire & the signal wire.
    Break it down into the 4 circuits;
    ignition
    charging
    lighting
    accy
    Take one at a time

Thank you! If I understand correctly, leaving the voes hooked into the harness (black and purple) yet UNhooked from the carb is essentially the same performance-wise as deleting the voes altogether?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5BD1D569-E72E-4180-A94A-E6709F87936C.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	108242This is probably the closest thing Iíve found to my situation, except for the dyna ignition.

Appears to be a modified version of billdozerís diagram (Iíve read that thread about 20 times). This one has a 30amp breaker between ign switch & coil, which I donít think Iíve seen before. Iím not sure what the blue wire is for, but it doesnít use the violet (voes) wire and doesnít mention the green wire that comes on dyna ignitions.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Personal opinion on VOES, I’ve owned about 7-8 evo motor sportsters, an evo big twin FXR all with CV carbs.

The VOES acts as a switch between timing curves, and does so by monitoring manifold vacuum level. At light cylinder load and pressure (like idle or in high gear cruising at a steady RPM) your cylinder pressure is lower and also your manifold vacuum is higher. At WOT, you are adding load and the manifold vacuum drops out. At those different conditions, you need different timing requirements and the VOES provides that by switching between the two advance curves set by your ignition module. There is a vacuum threshold within the VOES that either triggers it on, or off.

If you’ve owned old carb/ distributor type engines, the concept is the same, it just happens in the vacuum advance canister on the distributor. The engine RPMs dictate some of the timing requirements but the vacuum can adds ADDITIONAL timing when you are cruising at high manifold vacuum. You need more timing to burn that less dense cylinder charge and it helps with efficiency on your engine and fuel economy as well.

These engines, similar to most small block engines, run on lots of various timing settings and may seem pretty good and are very forgiving. BUT the VOES helps refine it and take advantage of better timing. It’s not all about MORE timing, it’s about correct timing.

If you’re gonna keep it on your bike, you are doing a disservice by not using it.

Thanks for the info!
    So Iíll leave purple going to voes, and ground voes. So what about green & black, just ground them both?

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynbomber View Post
    Personal opinion on VOES, Iíve owned about 7-8 evo motor sportsters, an evo big twin FXR all with CV carbs.

The VOES acts as a switch between timing curves, and does so by monitoring manifold vacuum level. At light cylinder load and pressure (like idle or in high gear cruising at a steady RPM) your cylinder pressure is lower and also your manifold vacuum is higher. At WOT, you are adding load and the manifold vacuum drops out. At those different conditions, you need different timing requirements and the VOES provides that by switching between the two advance curves set by your ignition module. There is a vacuum threshold within the VOES that either triggers it on, or off.

If youíve owned old carb/ distributor type engines, the concept is the same, it just happens in the vacuum advance canister on the distributor. The engine RPMs dictate some of the timing requirements but the vacuum can adds ADDITIONAL timing when you are cruising at high manifold vacuum. You need more timing to burn that less dense cylinder charge and it helps with efficiency on your engine and fuel economy as well.

These engines, similar to most small block engines, run on lots of various timing settings and may seem pretty good and are very forgiving. BUT the VOES helps refine it and take advantage of better timing. Itís not all about MORE timing, itís about correct timing.

If youíre gonna keep it on your bike, you are doing a disservice by not using it.

Share This