Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sanyarcosean
    • Dec 2010

"Goldie" An Amen Savior Build

Hello All! I started this build back in Feb of 2020 and made some progress on it. About a year into the build our family got bitch slapped by life so things kind of got put on hold. Another year later and life is settling down a bit, so its time to get back to it. But... Lets start in the beginning and play some catch-up!

Part of my daily routine has become looking through Facebook marketplace for crazy motorcycle deals. Most days that ends in me pouting about a great deal I can't make work. Back in Feb 202 though, the owner of a bike project I'd been watching for a month or so got tiered of all of the no shows and decided to dump it. I was at the right place at the right time and scored a early '70s Amen Savior soft tail CB750 chassis for $60. No, I didn't miss a 0... For less than I pay a week in gas, I bought a badass bike project. Please allow me to introduce Goldie the Amen Savior. The last picture is from her past life, when she was more of a bike and less of a project.

As bought, the night I brought her home
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200227_222121160.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	1347800

I love this tank, It will get used on another build down the road!

Name:	IMG_20200227_222131593.jpg
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	1347801

Wait... Someone hard tailed it?? That wont do... I'll need to cut that out and start looking for Amen Plunger parts.

Name:	IMG_20200306_133811551.jpg
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	1347802

P.O. sent me this picture of it in a more "Bike Like" State..

Name:	received_234659274229232.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1347803

First step, Clean up the frame a bit...
    Last edited by Sanyarcosean; 04-08-2022, 1:10 PM. Reason: Removed Picture
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

wow, $60!... deals still out there

Look at the fb group 70s AMeN chopper owners group... been dead for about a year, but good info on parts and replacement spring options including supplier with part numbers.
    Red Good at CycleOne been making parts for the Savior too.

Name:	Amen Savior parts,original ad.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1322221

by ChopperGuy on CC, in 2018:

Name:	Amen springs vs. fake spring, ChopperGuy CC 2018.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1322222

Name:	Amen springs vs. fake spring, after paint,ChopperGuy.jpg
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	1322223

Name:	Amen saviour_rigid and swngarm frame ad.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1322224

December 1973 the Savior is introduced:

Name:	Amen honda, cover, 197312customchoppper mag cover.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	1322225
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• docmel
      • May 2015

FOCUS on getting the rear tower, springs and bushings CORRECT and tight. Even new (Yes, I had brand new one back in '77) there was a slight weirdness on how the frame rode. I have allot of folks check it out back then and we we really couldnt find wat the issue was. Anyways, you have one now, its old, and any play will make your bike very squirrley

Comment

• DustyDave
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by docmel
        FOCUS on getting the rear tower, springs and bushings CORRECT and tight. Even new (Yes, I had brand new one back in '77) there was a slight weirdness on how the frame rode. I have allot of folks check it out back then and we we really couldnt find wat the issue was. Anyways, you have one now, its old, and any play will make your bike very squirrley
        It's all in what you are use to when I crawl on a swing arm bike I'm sure the wheel is gonna fall off for the first couple of miles.
        Dusty
        Driving that train, high on cocaine
        Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
        Trouble ahead, trouble behind
        And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

The fake spring is a great idea since those "suspensions" only existed for two reasons, the first being desperately cheap bike makers trying to survive hard times and the second for looks hence use on choppers.

A Fauxvior is a rather good idea as hardtails track better than the hideous garbage contemporary machines (pretty much everything in those days is dysfunctional crap but they're fun so we like them). Many racers preferred no rear suspension before rear suspension got good enough for road racing.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;