Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kcanela
    • Mar 2022

Flht Shovelhead 5speed trans into flh frame

Hi y’all new here, it sure if this is the right spot to ask this question.

Recently picked up an 82’ flht 5speed to build a chopper, upon disassembling I learned there’s 2 types of shovel frames… I have the unwanted one in the chopper world, so my question is has anyone ever taken this motor and transmission combo into the flh shovel frame? If so what fab work/ parts would I need to do so to make this work?
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Kcanela

Has anyone ever taken this motor and transmission combo into the flh shovel frame?
    If so what fab work/ parts would I need to do so to make this work?

You'll be needing a case to stuff your 5-speed guts into ..

These cases are manufactured from 356-T6 and machined with state-of-the-art CNC equipment. This 4 to 5-speed case is designed for 4-speed Big Twin style frames with 1970 thru 1984 Shovelhead style drivelines and chain final drives. These cases also accept most OEM and aftermarket 5-speed bearings, seals and other parts designed for 1985 thru 1989 Big Twin style 5-speed transmissions. OEM trap door will require minor modification to fit this case.

All modifications are thoroughly explained in the accompanied instructions. The S&S 4 to 5 speed transmission case is not compatible with the factory H-D primary belt drive as used on 1980 thru 1983 FXSB Sturgis models. For applications that utilize an existing 4-speed drive line, a 1980 to early 1984 5-speed style chain-drive main shaft and 1980 to early 1984 style main drive gear must be used. These parts are compatible with the OEM tapered inner diameter clutch hub as used on 4-speed Big- Twins. Basic case assemblies include the transmission case plus the shift lever adjustment screw, shifter shaft guide, and all studs and dowel pins required for assembly. To help insure a simple, trouble free installation, the studs and dowel pins are installed at S&S prior to shipment. The special, non-stock counter shaft bearing, inner primary bearing and mainshaft adapter spacer are not included, but must be ordered separately ..
    Last edited by Dragstews; 03-23-2022, 7:26 PM.
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Kcanela
      • Mar 2022

Definitely some I’d look into you got a part# by any chance?

Comment

• Kcanela
        • Mar 2022

Also if I just wanted to put a 4speed back in what would I do about the starter, primary covers and such, I’d like to go open primary which would be in my favor with the trans swap correct?

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Kcanela

Also if I just wanted to put a 4speed back in what would I do about the starter,

Comment

• SteveJ
            • Mar 2022

ya gotta be careful in those years 82-83-84 in the run up to the evo ,
            lots of wierd stuff
            , 4 speed chain drive evo engine softails , 5 speed chain drive shovel fxr's (i had one), with lots of single year parts in the drive train and starter gear so dont lose any parts!

The FXR/FLT drive train never really caught on in the chopper frame world FXR's dont need choppin' and the FLT frame is too ugly to work with lol
            the drive train is the same for FXR/FLT i think and a few manufacturers did custom frames , kenny boyce for one and the 'pro street' genre was born

and dont buy any fancy cross over shit , dump alla the flt stuff except the engine and get all new primary drive and tranny starter combo that will bolt right up to the shovel and be easy to service and get replacement parts for
            Last edited by SteveJ; 03-23-2022, 9:41 PM.

Comment

• Kcanela
              • Mar 2022

With the amount of research I’ve done the past few days upon picking this bike up that’s what I’m going to end up doing honestly, this frame stripped is god awful to look at haha

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

Going to have a lot of left-over parts from the FLT ..

Basically you're only be using the motor and perhaps some parts from the tranny ..

Have a look at customs on the web and come up with a game plan that you want to build ..
                Post pictures on this thread of what you have in mind of building and the Boys here will help you achieve your goal ..

Best to tap into the knowledge bass of Folks that has been there and done that ..
                (Will keep you from making some wrong choices)

Comment

• confab
                  • May 2019

Wasn't Black Death Three one of those rubber mount, FXR frame, deals?

It was cool as shit!

Comment

• 1954bmw
                    • Mar 2015

Ain't Black Death a raked FXR with struts???

Comment

• confab
                      • May 2019

Originally posted by 1954bmw
                      Ain't Black Death a raked FXR with struts???
                      Yes.. It is.

They have that 5 speed, rubber mount type setup, right?

Like OP is talking about?

It looks cool as hell.

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

I can't hallucinate any use I'd have for the early gearbox since gearboxes are cheaper than conversion cases, the early e-start is shit, the separate oil bag is stupid and a maintenance obstacle, and the tapered shaft is a maintenance annoyance.

For rubber mount frames best setup is the late bagger box with Denso starter and integral oil pan. See the FXR Cheat Sheet on Facebook since the principle applies to bagger frames too. Baggers already have the good sidestand so modding the crossmember to clear the integral bagger oil pan is all that's needed.

For a solid-mount frame the Softail gearbox/starter/primary or compatible belt drive is the best functional option.

I have the unwanted one in the chopper world,
                        From now on be specific. That implies you have a rubbermount frame. If so you're not "putting a four speed back" (without a shitload of work to get an inferior result) since none was ever there. First step in planning a build is using CLEAR terminology.

If you post pics of bikes you like and want it's a lot easier to help you get what you want. If what you want is a traditional Shovelhead post pics. If you can deal with a rubbermount bagger chassis then best to update everything except the engine since while Shovel engines are quite decent the rest of early rubbermounts are very, very forgettable.

Someone with a frame jig and motivation could pretty easily convert a bagger frame to an FXR-style neck similar to how the extended bagger neck kits are done but with a little more fab and less money. Since the VIN isn't on bagger necks a builder could buy a clean neck tube or peel and extract the stocker then relocate rearward and gusset the result keeping the stock VIN section intact. I have too many motorcycles so I won't bother but it's absolutely doable and mildly odd some enterprising biker fabricator hasn't done it yet.

Mid controls with simple mount blocks for Dyna controls are very easy to make (hunk of scrap with two through-drilled and tapped holes) if ya want mids instead of boards.

Show us what YOU like to help the hive mind help you.

Comment

• Kcanela
                          • Mar 2022

Click image for larger version

Name:	D9B747D5-5FF3-4544-A265-4E67FC3470A2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	1322174

This is how I want to build my bike primarily. So far I have acquired a 76’ fl frame with hardtail, front end I’m swapping over along with the rear if I can make it fit. What will I need to bolt up a 4speed to the motor? I already have 3” bdl primary belt so with that I plan on going open primary, if it’s a hassle to add in a starter I’ll make the bike kick only, I prefer it that way anyways. I’m assuming I can’t use the clutch from the 5 speed? But can I use the basket and everything else to bolt the 4speed in?

Comment

• Dragstews
                            • Sep 2010

Traditional chop ^^.. Good choice
                            Look of the 50's will always be popular and will never go out of stye ...

Comment

• AusAndrew
                              • Mar 2013

If you can make a bike half as cool as any Luck MC bike you're doing very well

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;