CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 03 xl1200s wonít turn over without a jump

Whatís up everybody, so Iíve been avoiding this issue like the plague because I just donít have any fucking time to concern myself with the things I enjoy these days. Now that Iíve missed dozens of rideable days through the fall and winter, and the sun is making its return to Jersey, itís time to stop being a little emo bitch about my problems, get a few knuckles deep into the sporty, and see what itís like to be a man again hahaha.

So the battery reads good, lights turn on, no wiring issues that I can find, but anytime I go to start it, I only hear that starter click-clacking the song of its shitty people. The only way to get her started is with a jump and sheíll run perfectly fine, and then whether itís a 5 mile run or a 100 mile ride, once I turn it off, Iíll get that click click click from the starter as soon as I turn the key again.

Obviously, I assumed it was the starter at first and I may be a little rusty, but I can start the bike with zero issues as soon as I touch some jumper cables to the battery. Would a bad starter just start working fine with a little extra juice from the battery?

[Not sure if it matters, but Iíve jumped it with everything from a little Costco jump box to a truck battery (with the truck off) and even a strangerís John Deere riding mower one time.]

Also, Iíve replaced the ignition module twice in the last 5 years, both times with a used stock module from eBay, but this definitely isnít what was happening when those went bad so Iím kind of ruling that out, unless you guys tell me otherwise.

Iím 85% capable and 100% down to do whatever diagnostics and work needs to be done, but Iím way to broke to start throwing money at her until something sticks. Hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction to throw that money, mix it with a little time, effort, beer, and blood, and get my whiny ass back on the road before the cost of filling up my truck forces me to sell a kidney, or a kid. Thanks guys!

Get Adobe Flash player

Your battery that "checks good" ain't no good, or you have a problem with the cable connections at the battery (or maybe the ground cable at the other end). That could be as simple as corrosion, or a cracked cable terminal.

Whatever way you are checking your battery, a load test with a known good tester will probably show the battery is bad.

You have pretty much done the testing, you just are not accepting the results.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

What Jim said. My money is on the battery depending on the make and if it is over a year old. I've also seen battery that check good on the hand held resistive testers that would drop out as soon as a load was put on them.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thank you Jim, I like your style, straightforward no sugarcoating it. I did static test the battery and load test it, but the more I think about it, the more I think I may have been rushing a little bit and not really considered the actual results. I think you’re right and I really just ruled out the battery way before I should have.

I just realized I do have a brand new battery sitting in the shop and a quick swap should’ve been my first attempt at fixing it. It’s been a crazy year and I’ve made plenty of dumb mistakes, this just might be the latest one. I’m gonna check it out tomorrow and see what happens, but if I had to put money on it, I’d be putting that money on your idea haha. Thanks again!

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks man, I did do a static and a load test with a multimeter that has a battery test function, but as I told Jim, I might’ve gotten ahead of myself on ruling it out. Thank you for the quick response!

Share This