CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    128

    Default SAT Motorsports Rigid.

    Got this bike when the owner passed away.
    Not my style at all , but too good of a deal to pass up.
    He had ordered every wild ass part he could find sometimes 2-3 of each part as he had little practical knowledge.
    360mm rear tire presented some engineering problems but the power train is NOT offset , I would not have bought nor would I ever ride one of those dangerous and ill advised offset bikes.
    This frame must have been made after the wide tire stupidity settled down. The offset is relegated to the final drive sprocket everything else in stock position.
    The drive sprocket is RSD and the brake rotor is right beside it, so the cool factor is in place.lol
    Here it is as I bought it:

    Looks good eh!
    Ya well this assy would have fallen apart within halfa mile or so.
    Nothing mounted properly , no wiring allowances , rear wheel mounted ,with the fender, 1.5 inches off center , etc , etc. But he had fresh oil in the tank!!
    Thanks for coming out.
    So a complete strip of the frame , choppa 101 dictates that the rear wheel goes in first in the CENTRE OF THE FRAME lol , 12 mounts tigged on , useless wiring through the frame holes welded up , clips to secure the wiring welded on , tranny clearanced , oil tank clearanced ,and a general sorting of the mess out.
    I repainted the frame after the needed work and began assy with the work progressing nicely to datew:


    As I said the previous owner was not up to the wide tire genre , he did have some game having the bars made (with no allowance for levers and switches ,lol) , the seat was supplied and is a very good job. I am up to 30 hand made stainless steel parts on the bike with at least 6 more pieces to be made. Rear fender and tank paint was saved and did my usual mega cool custom wiring harness. I use Harley wire color and Harley components for the wiring harness. Ill put up some more pics sometime.
    I worked in custom Harley shops for 25 years , specializing in carb work and custom wiring choppas.
    Hope ya like it!
    Last edited by SteveJ; 03-04-2022 at 10:50 PM.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Those stainless steel parts... Are any of them load carrying? If so, throw the sob's as far as you can.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockman96 View Post
    Those stainless steel parts... Are any of them load carrying? If so, throw the sob's as far as you can.
    Lessee here;
    7 piece oil filler neck
    2 pc trans spacer
    1 pc engine spacer
    1 pc rec/reg mount
    2 pc top motor mount cover
    2 pc coil mnt cover
    1 pc speedo mount
    1 pc volt meter/hdmi plug mnt
    1 pc chain guard
    2 pc fender struts
    1 pc electrical plate
    2 pc front turn sig mnts
    2 pc licencetailight mnt
    3 pc clutch cover spacers
    2 pc exhaust mnt
    lol
    I dont have any fear about using stainless on a chopper , then I dont have fuck around with polishing or chroming or painting.
    Besides where else are you gonna see a 30" x 2" x 3/16" piece of s/s made into a chain guard?


    Pretty fuckin cool with side/side rotor and sprocket:
    Last edited by SteveJ; 03-05-2022 at 8:07 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Does S.A.T stand for “ shitty ass tire” ?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Not really sure what SAT stands for maybe:
    Stupid Answer Time?
    lol
    If anyone knows I do want to have as much relevant info on the frame as possible.

    Work done lately ; the oil lines and you can see the stainless oil filler tower that gets the filler hole up where its more accessible:

    Im not a huge fan of AN fittings but a box full came with the bike.
    Coil box also holds leds for the turn sigs and neutral indicator, pretty tight with the speedo right in there too:


    A better shot of the filler neck with the engine breather hose attached:

    How to do the wiring under the seat:

    Mailslot battery box I fabbed up:

    And how to secure wire harness without the bush league tie wrapped frame look:

    Tig rod sections are cut and migged on this is one of the coolest tricks youll ever see on custom work.


    Pretty much the usual custom fab a choppa needs , this has never been a bike , just a buncha parts but its on its way to reality.
    lol
    Last edited by SteveJ; 03-06-2022 at 10:28 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    And how to secure wire harness without the bush league tie wrapped frame look:

    Tig rod sections are cut and migged on this is one of the coolest tricks youll ever see on custom work.l

    If you hide the hard wire on the bottom and lace it with string or copper wire, I think it looks better than tie-wraps.

    Dusty
    Last edited by DustyDave; 03-06-2022 at 11:46 AM.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    128

    Default

    [QUOTE=DustyDave;855788][url=https://postimages.org/]
    If you hide the hard wire on the bottom and lace it with string or copper wire, I think it looks better than tie-wraps.

    But the wire isnt secure , I take visible tie wraps as a custom failure and the yellow tie wraps in my pic get changed out for black ones in the final electrical check. Whatever works is a custom solution and that will be diff for all custom builders.

    Ive wired over 50 choppers from standard hardtails to 100K hardtails. Everything I show here is proven over the 25 years in the shops and 40+ years building and riding the fuck out of my own choppers.
    Like this handbuilt rippin muthafucka:

  9. #9

    Default

    The motobike looks amazing, you made it more aesthetically pleasing and looks cool gartic phone ovo game

  10. #10
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Lessee here;
    7 piece oil filler neck
    2 pc trans spacer
    1 pc engine spacer
    1 pc rec/reg mount
    2 pc top motor mount cover
    2 pc coil mnt cover
    1 pc speedo mount
    1 pc volt meter/hdmi plug mnt
    1 pc chain guard
    2 pc fender struts
    1 pc electrical plate
    2 pc front turn sig mnts
    2 pc licencetailight mnt
    3 pc clutch cover spacers
    2 pc exhaust mnt
    lol
    I dont have any fear about using stainless on a chopper , then I dont have fuck around with polishing or chroming or painting.
    I'm talking about things like axles and fasteners that keep your ass off the pavement.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockman96 View Post
    I'm talking about things like axles and fasteners that keep your ass off the pavement.
    No worries. I have a firm grasp of the obvious.
    lol

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunny123 View Post
    The motobike looks amazing, you made it more aesthetically pleasing and looks cool gartic phone ovo game
    Thanks.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Custom pipe set begins:

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Pipework begins with some additions:

    Still way into the layout side of the work , but you can see the look of the pipes forming:

    Compounding the usual exhaust fab problems is the fact that the frame is wide at the back , so pipes have to flow out around the extra width.
    Hoping to have some 'mufflers' on there too.

  15. #15
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Custom pipe set begins:
    I/WE did a couple fat tire bikes in the mid 2000s. Mine was a Big Bear Chopper DA that was demodified .
    One thing that my buddy was real good at was running stainless steel hard lines to and from the oil tank. It really cleaned things up.



    http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost...0/ppuser/18645

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by golfish View Post
    I/WE did a couple fat tire bikes in the mid 2000s. Mine was a Big Bear Chopper DA that was demodified .
    One thing that my buddy was real good at was running stainless steel hard lines to and from the oil tank. It really cleaned things up.



    http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost...0/ppuser/18645
    Thanks
    The A/N fittings and line came with the bike.
    I like the look of s/s or copper lines but I do have knowledge of the properties of both metals , both are prone to weakening through vibration , its physics and cant be argued coherently.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Exhaust continuation:

    Whoop-de-fuckin'-do some might think , butthis is 2 hours of fucking around with the head pipes and trying to clear the gear behind the pipes. A few things to consider like the cunt-starter on the end of the starter , the oil tank filler tower also the seat went on for the leg bar-be-que check . This configuration is looking good for those issues.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Approximately 1/3 done:


    Laid out pretty easy, the blue parts are the cut up stock pipe so anyone with an 80's 2-2 stocker can make these pipes!
    lol
    Brackets , mounts , 'cufflers' lol like mufflers but not the same , and some heat wrap , thats right , heat wrap the backyard pipe makers best friend.
    And the angle they gotta take to clear the rear of the frame:
    Last edited by SteveJ; 03-12-2022 at 6:03 PM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Thanks
    The A/N fittings and line came with the bike.
    I like the look of s/s or copper lines but I do have knowledge of the properties of both metals , both are prone to weakening through vibration , its physics and cant be argued coherently.
    I too thought that over time they would snap or leak. My buddy who did the lines has been working with SS pipe and tubing for 55 years in the food manufacturing business. I've also been in the business as well, just not a mechanic. We see pumps run for 7 days a week 24hrs a day.

    The 2 bikes with those hard lines are 15 years old

    What is it people say..your mileage may vary.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by golfish View Post
    I too thought that over time they would snap or leak. My buddy who did the lines has been working with SS pipe and tubing for 55 years in the food manufacturing business. I've also been in the business as well, just not a mechanic. We see pumps run for 7 days a week 24hrs a day.

    The 2 bikes with those hard lines are 15 years old

    What is it people say..your mileage may vary.
    lol
    Harley started out with rigid oil lines , went to rubber , then back to rigid now , but they have some kinda rubber strain relief now.

Share This



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in