Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baltimore
    • Jan 2022

79 iron Head running like s*** in 25° cold weather

TriStar in my bike it store it up I want to ride and it's coughing it's going and stopping going and stopping so I thought there was water in my gas so I changed the gas cleaned the carb out and it's running exactly the same I have oil pressure is this normal for cold weather
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

You may be getting some carburetor icing until the motor is good and warm.

Jim

Comment

• 70fatster
      • Jan 2013

It may be jetted a bit too lean of its mostly used in summer time. Try with a little choke or enrichener on and see if it helps.
      My 70 takes enrichening for an extra mile or two in this weather.

Comment

• Baltimore
        • Jan 2022

79 ironhead

[QUOTE=70fatster;854758]It may be jetted a bit too lean of its mostly used in summer time. Try with a little choke or enrichener on and see if it helps.
        My 70 takes enrichening for an extra mile or two in this weather.[/QUOTE

My engine is only getting hot on one side it seems like only one of my pipes is getting hot the other one is staying cool but it's blowing pressure out is that normal as well for it to heat up differently like that I mean the one head is hot can't touch another one so cool is that normal and it's cold cold weather

Comment

• Baltimore
          • Jan 2022

Also while I'm warm it up it seems like my one head and pipe is getting real hot first and my other pipe is still cool I can grab my one pipe and drop that hot I cannot touch the other types is that normal when is this cold for the heads to warm up differently or is my oil pump f*****

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

If one head is getting warm and the other is not, you more than likely have an ignition problem. First, put fresh plugs in it. If that doesn't cure the problem, look at the points, coil, and plug wires.

Jim

Comment

• Baltimore
              • Jan 2022

I appreciate it first thing I'm going to do when I get home is change my plugs

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

DId that work? What did the removed plugs look like?

Intake leaks are common on Ironheads so I reseal intake manifolds when I pull a carb. I always run a carb brace since intake clamps job is to seal not support.

If you have a compression tester I always check both cylinders for comparison.

Comment

• 70fatster
                  • Jan 2013

Definitely should be more evenly heating. The symptoms you just described sounds like a miss for sure.
                  The plugs should tell a lot of the story.

Comment

• docmel
                    • May 2015

Originally posted by 70fatster
                    Definitely should be more evenly heating. The symptoms you just described sounds like a miss for sure.
                    The plugs should tell a lot of the story.
                    Another initial poster who never closes the loop on whether he fixed the problem or not

Others could use the info on what worked and what didnt.............................

Comment

• 70fatster
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by docmel
                      Another initial poster who never closes the loop on whether he fixed the problem or not

Others could use the info on what worked and what didnt.............................
                      We can only assume he changed the plugs and rode off happily into the sunset!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;