X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoCount
    • Nov 2021

stem bearing & spacer questions, please help

Hey all, new to the site.
    I recently just got a HONDA CHOPPER RIGID FRAMES CB750 from Paughco. I am putting a P&P girder on it. The stem is only 6inches or so. Question 1 - Can I make my own spacers to make up for the 1 inch gap I have left over? Question 2 - Does anyone know what size bearing kit I will need for the stem?
    Thanks for the help.
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

You need to post the dimensions of the components that you are working with. A dial caliper will come in handy here. Without dimensions, your question is too vague to be answered, because there may be different versions of the frame and the girder.

Jim

Comment

• ricksta56
      • Feb 2022

Originally posted by NoCount
      Hey all, new to the site.
      I recently just got a HONDA CHOPPER RIGID FRAMES CB750 from Paughco. I am putting a P&P girder on it. The stem is only 6inches or so. Question 1 - Can I make my own spacers to make up for the 1 inch gap I have left over? Question 2 - Does anyone know what size bearing kit I will need for the stem?
      Thanks for the help.
      P&P Girder thread? Good this is also what I'm looking for. We can help each other out here. I'm setting mine up now too. I have a sportster hardtail stretched up and out frame, thats a little different than yours but the P&P questions pertain. Maybe I need to be in American chop area........
      Last edited by ricksta56; 02-18-2022, 3:56 PM. Reason: I'm kinda lost

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

I have P&P girder on my rigid Norton chop; I have a 1/2" spacer at the bottom of my neckpost, and modified the top tree to be like a springer, with a crown nut below the upper tree(to adjust bearing tension) and a top nut above the upper tree to lock it all together:

Click image for larger version

Name:	850 Norton chop, lt, with coffin.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	1321940

Name:	Norton P&P girder, Nov. 12, 2017.jpg
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	1321941

Name:	springer girder neckpost drawing, sept.2020.jpg
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1321942

[AClick image for larger version

Name:	springer or girder  bearing and upper nut assembly.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	1321943

I recently wrote this for an old springer install; girder a bit different as the measurement for trees is to have the upper and lower linkage pivot shafts on the legs the same distance apart as the upper and lower pivot shafts on the trees, which will make the linkages parallel to each other, to prevent binding and proper control.

chopper springer neck post design and springer install, '70s style springer
        I used this method to do a few vintage 70's chopper springer installs on aftermarket frames, typically where a new neckpost needed to be machined, and used a similar technique to mount a P&P girder (bit different for girders as a critical measurement is to keep upper and lower linkages parallel). My bro is putting a +12

Does your Paughco frame take bearing cups, or are the bearing races that fit into the neck?
        What is the bore of the cup or the race recess in the neck?
        Stock CB bearings for the neck are metric and larger than 1", so easy to build a neck to fit 1" bearings.
        Last edited by TriNortchopz; 02-18-2022, 8:32 PM.
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by ricksta56
          P&P Girder thread? Good this is also what I'm looking for. We can help each other out here. I'm setting mine up now too. I have a sportster hardtail stretched up and out frame, thats a little different than yours but the P&P questions pertain. Maybe I need to be in American chop area........
          What year is your Sportster frame? Got the bearings?
          Got a neckpost for the P&P?
          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

Paughco for CB750:

Name:	Paughco Honda 750 rigid frame,original ad.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	1321956

P&P:

Name:	P&P girder, original ad.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1321957

Name:	P&P Girder Instructions, parts image.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1321958

Name:	P&P, sq & rd girder original Jammer ad.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1321959

Name:	P&P Girder Instructions pg2,installing.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1321960
            Last edited by TriNortchopz; 02-19-2022, 12:11 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;