Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clarkkk
    • Jan 2022

Wiring Help! Momentary Start

I’ve got my wiring a little screwed up and the bike will engage when i turn it to ign (3rd key position) more details in my video https://youtu.be/njjWvY9UKkgClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4395.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1347666
    heres my diagram!

Wiring up the momentary start has got me scratchin
    883c Sporty 2000
    Last edited by Clarkkk; 01-06-2022, 2:47 PM.
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

Post up your wiring diagram.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Clarkkk
      I’ve got my wiring a little screwed up and the bike will engage when i turn it to ign (3rd key position) more details in my video https://youtu.be/njjWvY9UKkg
      Where did you come up with that wiring diagram????????? It doesn't look right........ Also what is all the masking tape for????

Plus if the bike is lunging forward when you crank it you have other problems........... That has nothing to do with wiring............
      Last edited by Tattooo; 01-06-2022, 9:53 AM.

Comment

• tzienlee
        • Apr 2024

get a FACTORY manual for your year & follow the wiring diagrams in it,
        they break it down to various circuits not just the whole spaghetti wiring,
        real easy when you have the book,
        plus if you search the interwebnet, you will kind Large scale, laminated diagrams in full colour so a lot easier to read,
        making up ya own diagram only works if ya know what ya doing & what every wire is for,
        I have been building & wiring Harley since the mid 70's & still ALWAYS refer to the manual or enlarged diagrams.
        the diagram you have on youtube isn't clear enough to see what ya doing, but as said, something looks a bit hookey, scan it & post it here so we can see where you went wrong...

Comment

• Clarkkk
          • Jan 2022

Originally posted by tzienlee
          get a FACTORY manual for your year & follow the wiring diagrams in it,
          they break it down to various circuits not just the whole spaghetti wiring,
          real easy when you have the book,
          plus if you search the interwebnet, you will kind Large scale, laminated diagrams in full colour so a lot easier to read,
          making up ya own diagram only works if ya know what ya doing & what every wire is for,
          I have been building & wiring Harley since the mid 70's & still ALWAYS refer to the manual or enlarged diagrams.
          the diagram you have on youtube isn't clear enough to see what ya doing, but as said, something looks a bit hookey, scan it & post it here so we can see where you went wrong...

I've got a stock diagram yet i've still managed to mess it up lol

Comment

• Clarkkk
            • Jan 2022

Originally posted by Tattooo
            Where did you come up with that wiring diagram????????? It doesn't look right........ Also what is all the masking tape for????

Plus if the bike is lunging forward when you crank it you have other problems........... That has nothing to do with wiring............
            the masking tape is just to get the wires out of the way and a little neater for the meantime.

it lunges forward not when cranked but in the 3rd position (ignition)

1st position being BAT, which it stays on, next going left which is ACC, 3rd going 1 turn from BAT which is IGN, and 4th being the spring start (2 over from BAT)

Comment

• tzienlee
              • Apr 2024

what year & model bike is it,...
              these are made by various companys for various models if this isnt yours, I got one for a Shovelhead FX & it's spot on, dead easy to follow & easy to ID the colours & where they go... have a surf on't google...
              Last edited by Guest; 01-06-2022, 2:16 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

• Clarkkk
                • Jan 2022

Originally posted by tzienlee
                what year & model bike is it,...
                Sportster 883c 2000

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

1st position being BAT, which it stays on, next going left which is ACC, 3rd going 1 turn from BAT which is IGN, and 4th being the spring start (2 over from BAT)
                  Can I ask why you have the same 2 colors of wires running every where??
                  What happened to the original harness????
                  You really need to start from the beginning why did you start messing with the wiring in the first place????

Are you trying to make a car type switch work????? A spring start?????? What's that????

I'm not digging on you just trying to understand so we can help you....... But you really need to throw that wiring diagram you made up in the trash........

Way more info needed.......
                  Last edited by Tattooo; 01-06-2022, 2:22 PM.

Comment

• Clarkkk
                    • Jan 2022

Can I ask why you have the same 2 colors of wires running every where??
                    What happened to the original harness????
                    You really need to start from the beginning why did you start messing with the wiring in the first place????

Are you trying to make a car type switch work????? A spring start?????? What's that????

I'm not digging on you just trying to understand so we can help you....... But you really need to throw that wiring diagram you made up in the trash........

Way more info needed.......
                    what 2 colors?
                    this is the original harness im just simplifying it.
                    Its a momentary start like a car

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

what 2 colors?
                      this is the original harness im just simplifying it.
                      Its a momentary start like a car
                      Ok I missed the pink one so there is 3 colors red, pink and white..... And the green one that you can't hook up..... I'm talking about the wires you have masking taped down.....

They sure don't look like original harness wires........ I've never seen Harley use yellow wire connectors.

So your simplifying it by using a car starter switch???????

Best of luck..........
                      Last edited by Tattooo; 01-06-2022, 5:54 PM.

Comment

• JBinNC
                        • Dec 2018

You have, in the lower right side of your diagram, what looks like it says, 30A breaker, and it's grounded. THAT WON'T WORK!

Most everything else looks OK except the power feed to terminal 30 on the starter relay. That should be breaker protected in some way. (I like that feed from the load side of the main breaker, so always hot.)

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107357[/ATTACH]
                          heres my diagram!

That's a different diagram than the one you posted in your video............. It's good that you tossed the other one........
                          Last edited by Tattooo; 01-06-2022, 6:33 PM.

Comment

• Clarkkk
                            • Jan 2022

Ok I missed the pink one so there is 3 colors red, pink and white..... And the green one that you can't hook up..... I'm talking about the wires you have masking taped down.....

They sure don't look like original harness wires........ I've never seen Harley use yellow wire connectors.

So your simplifying it by using a car starter switch???????

Best of luck..........
                            The connectors aren’t stock but everything else is.
                            As far as simplifying I’ve actually done a lot. The momentary key switch bypasses a start switch. I also did away with the front brake switch, blinkers, instr. cluster including tach, speedo, horn, emergency stop switch, and bank angle sensor

Comment

• Clarkkk
                              • Jan 2022

Originally posted by JBinNC
                              You have, in the lower right side of your diagram, what looks like it says, 30A breaker, and it's grounded. THAT WON'T WORK!

Most everything else looks OK except the power feed to terminal 30 on the starter relay. That should be breaker protected in some way. (I like that feed from the load side of the main breaker, so always hot.)

Jim
                              Okay so isn’t my terminal (relay) 30 protected bc it’s going from ACC switch then being relayed into a 15A fuse then going to headlight, tail light, brake light.
                              Relay 30 is accessories. Isn’t relay 87 coming from the starter in the problem?
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	A56C6294-0B0B-491E-8242-ADC916A55069.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1321555
                              Here’s the HD diagram…
                              I see here that one of the 87 relay terminals is being transferred from all the others (85, 86, and 30) so maybe the problem lies with one of their faults in my wiring.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;