Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExplodingCoffinEmporium
    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by 1954bmw
    Because I enjoy the pain, how much was the deal on the 82 FXR???
    $1500 clean title in hand. All original outside of air cleaner, rear fender/tail light, speedometer, tachometer, and seat. I’ve started cleaning her up a bit and ordering the correct parts. I should get the rear fender in next week and I’ll prep and spray the tins back to factory scheme. Mechanically it’s going to be a deep clean and refresh. Thankfully nothing outside of my wheelhouse especially in the paint department. My heart always says chop everything, but my brain tells me this is a pretty solid FXRS in not too far off factory state and I’ll likely keep her that way for now.

Comment

• 1954bmw
      • Mar 2015

Maybe start an FXR thread, shame you live so far from Cincinnati, I have what is supposed to be a new fxr rear fender and stock seat.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

FXRs make relatives ugly choppers compared to the classic frames because of the features that make their frames desirable. The backbone and midsection can look decent but don't hold a candle to the classic solidmount frames. They get chopped IMO mostly because folks chop what they have instead of flipping to get a bike that looks more like what they attempt to get by chopping.

The best solution is as always "add more Harleys". Killer price on that deal as the titled frame is worth what you paid for the bike. I'd buy them all day at that price.

Surface rust is common from condensation in the kicker cover. There is a way to stop that permanently by Cerakoting the parts. I've not done that yet but after I get my oven etc set up I'll do what everyone else does and kote whatever fits in the oven.

Comment

• Oct 2016

I finished cleaning and sorting out the side cover on my ratchet top. When I pulled the cover the studs came out easy breezy. It’s an STD case and I’m assuming whoever installed the studs didn’t crank them down. It had one bolt instead of a stud as well. I’m either going to pick up fresh studs or I’ve seen colony has bolts, any reason to go one over the other? If studs, I’ve heard mixed opinions from green Loctite to nyloc nuts with nothing added to the stud, all the way to red Loctite on studs. Any wisdom?

Comment

• DoomBuggy
            • Oct 2016

Let me know if you need to borrow the shift fork alignment tool, in case you ain't got's one already.

Comment

• Oct 2016

Well 50 years of bandaids and bullshit, she’s cleaned up and sealed. Now I’ve got to turn up some studs for the bearing support and motor plate as the originals are too short, 304 stainless should fit the bill.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DAEBCA01-29DF-4C0D-92BC-1144D0801599.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1322703Click image for larger version

Name:	E4FA2B5D-42F7-44FC-A7C1-A165236803CE.jpg
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	1322704

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                • Oct 2016

That's looking nice and tidy, making progress for sure.

Comment

• Oct 2016

Thanks doom, it’s always a matter of trying to find time lately it seems. Had a little health hiccup that set me back a bit as well, nothing serious but still puts ya down a bit and makes you check yourself.

Comment

• confab
                    • May 2019

Looks good. Adding a belt drive?

Comment

• Oct 2016

Originally posted by confab
                      Looks good. Adding a belt drive?
                      Yep the PO had installed a BDL belt drive, so gonna run it. I picked up a primo motor plate kit however to tighten everything up a bit as well as a BDL competitor clutch versus the 3
                      Finger clutch that came with it.

Comment

• 1954bmw
                        • Mar 2015

Just to be a PIA, any new pics and progress on your FXR??

Comment

• Oct 2016

Name:	FA71B502-FC96-447F-ABC4-5F024852DC1C.jpg
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1323010Click image for larger version

Name:	67DE8DDE-9FEA-4692-8213-DB0AF068D303.jpg
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	1323011Click image for larger version

Name:	AE237970-1FF3-44CC-B947-FBDE8C796F12.jpg
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	1323012Click image for larger version

Name:	1E408DD0-C906-4DFD-A4AE-CC9F04E985FF.jpg
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1323013Click image for larger version

Name:	C1F1F459-D1D6-4B4E-864C-5B022F4270BB.jpg
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1323014

Getting this crazy frank style rear fender dialed in, still haven’t decided on a paint scheme but got plenty of time.

Comment

• Oct 2016

Name:	59A48DB3-156B-4606-A028-D7F2C5CB2CD7.jpg
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1323050

Unknown to me engine with good compression. I’m getting the cylinders deglazed and powder coated while freshening up the heads, rocker boxes, and going through everything with a fine tooth comb. The bottom end has SS flywheels, rods, and pistons. Everything seems tight and is specing out acceptably. I removed the pistons for cleaning and figure new rings and gaskets are in order. SS rings and James top end gasket kit with fire ring will be ordered up this week. Bike currently has points but thinking a new ignition is in order, lot of choices with that one, maybe Dyna S or Dynatek.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ExplodingCoffinEmporium; 10-17-2022, 5:30 AM.

Comment

• Oct 2016

Cleaning up everything. Delrkon case with the bottom trap door which is unsurprisingly leaking a bit. I’ll give it a good cleaning, attempt to ensure surface area is as flat as possible, and seal the hell out of it.

So I found a threaded hole I can’t quite figure out under the camchest in the case itself. It’s threaded and I’m not sure if it’s unique to these Delkron cases as I’m not able to find it on my other HD shovel cases. There was no bolt/screw in it when I got this engine. I found a Delkron case online with the hole as well. Any help?

Name:	7BCCE0C1-6559-49A8-8203-D446288444E8.jpg
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1323056Click image for larger version

Name:	E498C4ED-1F52-4870-9211-C8203FD979E4.jpg
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1323057Click image for larger version

Name:	8032A275-EA3C-465D-828A-281C2E98F847.jpg
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1323055
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Oct 2016

Well the threaded hole is for an oil return line which travels to the breather gear hole but in my case a plug is in order. Waiting on parts to come in as cylinders are out for powder coating, tons of cleaning. I’ve got the fender tacked on la crazy frank style, bunch of welding the next few days and some tubing to build the sissy bar support for it. I’ll need to fab up a sissy bar and will likely bend up some bracing for the lower side of the rear fender. Rough fit the GMA rear brake and will have to weld a brake stay onto the swingarm. Winter is coming in Chicago so gotta start prepping for that.

Name:	63FE05AF-CA17-4C70-9C91-4BB6BD542BB3.jpg
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	1323086Click image for larger version

Name:	A982B2D3-CAF7-4173-A4CA-71B245542107.jpg
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1323087
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by ExplodingCoffinEmporium; 10-20-2022, 12:09 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;