Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExplodingCoffinEmporium
    • Oct 2016

Build thread, swing’n shovel chop

This shovel started from humble beginnings in cold ass Michigan. Eventually it made it’s way to equally cold ass northern Wisconsin where it was neglected for many years. Some shit kicker named Brandon in Trevor, WI bought her with hopes of turning her into some goofy ass wide tire OCC wet dream. Not only did this dream not come to fruition, it turned this once complete bike into a basket case, outside of the engine not being opened, thank the chopper lords. The bike sat in a southern WI basement for another half a decade until I came along.

I saw the ad:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	33F6A44B-CECC-4B20-963F-C440608D12FD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1347648
    Went the next day with cash in hand and bought this pile of bike for a cool $1300 after some bitching and griping while doing my best to maintain a poker face that would give Doc Watson a stroke.

The title was potentially fucked, which was ok considering the price and I knew this getting into it. I consulted my old/angry/polish title guru and with some imagination and a few bucks I untwisted the Gordian knot two previous openers managed to create.

Name:	85397754-CDB6-41A3-BECE-71FC6A2203E0.jpg
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1347649
    Now the fire has been stoked, a clean title in hand for my future project.

California, Canada, New York, swap meets, and digging into the collection, parts start to be acquired. A swingarm chop is decided on, gotta be a round swinarm

Name:	4F1E5C69-AD8C-46B8-ABBB-97620D733B96.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1347650

Some more parts go on, I wanted to at least start mocking her up rough and get her on the ground,

Name:	653CBFB9-CF9F-4C39-A7EB-3A7962E57643.jpg
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1347651

I’ll try to keep this thread updated as I go. I’m busy, 2 kids, work, an angry polish wife, and 2 more semesters of an advanced degree(smart shit in your late 30’s I could kick myself in the ass). I always appreciate any advice or recommendations. I’ve been a body man and at times mechanic doing class car resto work part time for almost a decade and a half alongside nursing, so not a new hand but definitely a lot to learn. I’ve read ahead, factory service manual, parts manual, and even picked up both of the Donny’s unauthorized technical guides based on Farmall mentioning it in another thread. Happy new year, and hope to have this on the road by the end of this new year.
  • rockman96
    • May 2018

That will be a great looking scoot man! And I feel your schooling pain... I went and got my EET in my late 30's. It's a real pain on several levels to go back to get schooling, but there are some advantages too, i.e. I cared a lot more later in life than I did at 18, so I was able to make more of it. You are are probably aware of this as well.

Keep up the good work on the bike!

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ExplodingCoffinEmporium
      Went the next day with cash in hand and bought this pile of bike for a cool $1300 after some bitching and griping while doing my best to maintain a poker face that would give Doc Watson a stroke.
      For those that didn't catch that ...
      Old Doc was a blind man ... And a hellofa flat picker ...

... /// https://youtu.be/cw2Dn9a8sQ4 \\\ ...
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Oct 2016

Originally posted by Dragstews
        For those that didn't catch that ...
        Old Doc was a blind man ... And a hellofa flat picker ...

... /// https://youtu.be/cw2Dn9a8sQ4 \\\ ...
        Still one of my favorite string pluckers of all time

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Mine too ...

Saw him and Merle at the "The Grand Ole Opry" (Ryman Auditorium) many times .... RIP Boys

... /// https://youtu.be/C-CGqAdW2vE \\\ ...

Haunting Mountain Folklore Ballads would being a tear to your eye ...
          Last edited by Dragstews; 01-01-2022, 7:28 PM.

Comment

• Oct 2016

On the list of shit I need to figure out is braking system. Currently I have a banana brake on the rear with a 10” rotor and Wagner 3/4” bore master. I have the correct axle and axle locator to run a modern wheel/disc setup on a round swingarm and I also turned up some spacers on my mini lathe to fit the bill. With that being said, I dig braking well and have heard/read a GMA setup with 11.5” disc is a hell of a lot better. I would obviously need to grab a 5/8” bore master as well. Is it worth it? Secondly, if I go that route I’ll match it up and have to figure out a proper front GMA setup for my springer which is another mystery. Recommendations?

Comment

• JBinNC
              • Dec 2018

On the list of shit I need to figure out is braking system. Currently I have a banana brake on the rear with a 10” rotor and Wagner 3/4” bore master. I have the correct axle and axle locator to run a modern wheel/disc setup on a round swingarm and I also turned up some spacers on my mini lathe to fit the bill. With that being said, I dig braking well and have heard/read a GMA setup with 11.5” disc is a hell of a lot better. I would obviously need to grab a 5/8” bore master as well. Is it worth it? Secondly, if I go that route I’ll match it up and have to figure out a proper front GMA setup for my springer which is another mystery. Recommendations?
              Rear banana caliper on a two point bracket for an 11 1/2" rotor, with rotor to match, will work as well as the GMA brake, and utilize the components you have on hand. Old brake parts will need some love, however, so it's not a free lunch.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

I have a stock HD rear brake (Caliper & Mount) ... Tis late model stuff ...

Might be good for your build .. ??

Comment

• KELD
                  • Sep 2012

Get a Fabkevin kit.

Comment

• Oct 2016

Originally posted by JBinNC
                    Rear banana caliper on a two point bracket for an 11 1/2" rotor, with rotor to match, will work as well as the GMA brake, and utilize the components you have on hand. Old brake parts will need some love, however, so it's not a free lunch.

Jim
                    Still moving along. I picked up a GMA rear brake setup with 11.5” rotor and snagged up a GMA 5/8” rear master cylinder as well. Click image for larger version

Name:	0E9E2C66-4447-4595-99A2-3BC07ABA535F.jpg
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	1322355 My daughter lost all interest after getting through the bubble wrap.

I started whipping up a crazy crank style fender, I’m hoping to get it turned out and molded by the end of the month.

Name:	66C72441-4BC2-481C-9C15-C24B6E5A8B57.jpg
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1322356

Name:	CDA40804-B77B-4088-B90E-E8469ED15897.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1322357

Too good of a deal to pass up, I snagged up a clean titled 1982 FXRS that needed a good home in the meantime.

Name:	7B175B82-6EA5-466A-AAB5-245A6FF75FC9.jpg
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1322358

Name:	8213A5E8-70D8-4373-B847-C8E03CDD1FEF.jpg
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1322359

Now on to more pressing matters, I need to figure out a good front brake situation for this springer, preferably a GMA disc.

Comment

• Oct 2016

On to the 4 speed. This is my first go with a 4 speed ratchet top, so I’ve found as many manuals and videos as possible to ensure I get this right and proper, I’d like it to see many miles.

Name:	BACCD1AF-745A-4A5C-80CA-AB442D7E7585.jpg
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1322471Click image for larger version

Name:	5A0595D0-2475-4064-8E1A-9534672239F6.jpg
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	1322472Click image for larger version

Name:	DE25FA8E-C6EE-42BF-82AD-CDD2C499A003.jpg
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	1322473
                      These shift forks may be ok, the marring on them makes me question it though.

Name:	4BA708E0-0E31-4DA6-824F-CD8603CD1C1B.jpg
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	1322474Click image for larger version

Name:	08DE3BBC-38B3-4748-9621-DCC62146419F.jpg
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1322475
                      Little bit of surface rust, bad seal maybe, gear oil looks clean, will likely thoroughly clean and reassemble.

Comment

• Oct 2016

When I pulled the kicker cover I checked for shavings, everything looks good so far besides this one little piece of metal, almost looks like a bolt thread left behind but can’t identify it or find it’s mate.

Name:	8F7B83DA-9226-4D3E-ABDC-01636B46621E.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1322476Click image for larger version

Name:	69233721-E27E-4799-BD35-50F1575D087A.jpg
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1322477

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                          • Oct 2016

This is far and away my favorite rebuild video. It really reminds me of some of the Army training stuff I had to sit through, but have never forgotten. ( I still remember how to treat a sucking chest wound in the field! )

Comment

• Oct 2016

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
                            This is far and away my favorite rebuild video. It really reminds me of some of the Army training stuff I had to sit through, but have never forgotten. ( I still remember how to treat a sucking chest wound in the field! )

Thanks Doom, I’ll definitely give it a watch tonight. I figured out that flake of metal I found was just part of a sheared stud, which I’m replacing anyhow. Everything looks clean though outside of the shift forks having an appearance as though they were ground. I plan on checking everything out still and doing a light rebuild for the time.

Comment

• 1954bmw
                              • Mar 2015

Because I enjoy the pain, how much was the deal on the 82 FXR???

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;