CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Pully offset 5-speed tranny

Got a 90s model big twin-engine sitting on a Santee frame with a 200 wide rear tire on 5 inch wide rim. Rear belt pulley has already been spaced properly for the tire. The problem is that I cannot find a front drive pulley with 1 1/4 inch offset for this year model transmission. I was thinking of going with a chain drive it looks like it would be easier to find the offset setup and it would give better clearance with inner primary cover. Any thoughts on this or does anybody know where I can get the right pulley or the spacer that's needed for the pulley for this transmission.

Also I will be changing that 200 wide tire off the 5 inch wide rim to a 180 which is more appropriate for the rim. So I should be able to pull a couple of the spacers from the sprocket when I do this to shrink my offset some. Maybe to a 1in.
    Last edited by Taker73044; 10-12-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Okay discover new information about my Santee frame. It's a wide 200 frame and the transmission with the sprocket on the tire is designed to line of perfectly in this Frame. With the proper transmission base bracket... But that's the issue I do not have the proper bracket that gives the transmission it's offset. I will see if I can do some fabrication on this bracket to make it work.

Google pictures and found someone with a similar frame is mine here on Chop Cult. Then found the brochure for my frame talking about the offset bracket for the transmission.

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25548

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yes, you cannot move the pulley over on the transmission because there is an inner primary and primary drive in the way. So you move the transmission over, and offset the inner primary at the motor case, and use an offset motor sprocket or pulley so the primary drive lines up. A transmission plate is needed, as well as a spacer for the inner primary at the motor case, and an offset motor sprocket. Or, an offset primary belt drive and all the parts that go with that.

All of that was pretty common, but it involves compromises, including the fact that you now have the primary drive hanging way off to the left of the chassis. And that is now in the way of your left footrest and shifter. A lot to deal with there.

Because the original final drive belt is so wide, you can gain a lot of room by switching to a chain final drive. It's a lot less to change, a lot fewer parts, and you can keep the transmission and primary drive in the stock location. I think you would like the result better, with a 180 tire and a chain. The bike would be better balanced and ride better, and it would be much easier and less expensive to do.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    Yes, you cannot move the pulley over on the transmission because there is an inner primary and primary drive in the way. So you move the transmission over, and offset the inner primary at the motor case, and use an offset motor sprocket or pulley so the primary drive lines up. A transmission plate is needed, as well as a spacer for the inner primary at the motor case, and an offset motor sprocket. Or, an offset primary belt drive and all the parts that go with that.

All of that was pretty common, but it involves compromises, including the fact that you now have the primary drive hanging way off to the left of the chassis. And that is now in the way of your left footrest and shifter. A lot to deal with there.

Because the original final drive belt is so wide, you can gain a lot of room by switching to a chain final drive. It's a lot less to change, a lot fewer parts, and you can keep the transmission and primary drive in the stock location. I think you would like the result better, with a 180 tire and a chain. The bike would be better balanced and ride better, and it would be much easier and less expensive to do.

Jim
    I run a 200 rear tyre on the bike in the attached, plus a five speed and evo primary, with chain final drive.

I still have to run a spacer between the motor case and an offset motor sprocket. I don't particularly like the way it looks , but can't imagine how much worse it would look with a belt final drive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chopper 42).jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	106694

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    I run a 200 rear tyre on the bike in the attached, plus a five speed and evo primary, with chain final drive.

I still have to run a spacer between the motor case and an offset motor sprocket. I don't particularly like the way it looks , but can't imagine how much worse it would look with a belt final drive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chopper 42).jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	106694
    Yep, and the OP may be able to sneak a 180 tire in without moving the transmission.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

I believe I have the tranny plate you need. email me and I will send pics.
    mfroats66@gmail.com

Get Adobe Flash player

Karata drives makes a wide range of offset pulleys.

If You are running the stock inner/outer HD primary, Another way to
    offset the primary is to get an aluminum spacer with the 4 mounting holes
    that installs at the front of the primary housing, (surrounding the motor pulley).
    Then You add a shaft extension that moves the shaft out, And the stock front
    pulley is bolted to the extended motor shaft.

Arlen Ness made a kit that moves it out 1/2", which will work for a 180 tire.
    I actually have one of these kits, (NOS) if You are interested, let me know.

Or...If You already have an open drive motor plate, I would check out the
    offset pulleys at Karata Drives. And I would recommend chain on the final drive.

I think you will be much happier with the 180 mm rubber, versus the 200, The 180
    looks better & handles better, and less costly.

Share This