CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: 64 Case numbers

  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    18

    Default 64 Case numbers

    I've looked at examples and I still can't get a great feeling on these numbers. The 4s seem unique and the most of the 6s from that year that I can find are the straight ones. any experts care to chime in on an opinion on these numbers? Belly's match, start with 163 and have the same type of 6s in them as well, but no 4s...

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 64 case.jpg  
    Last edited by pansshovelsandknucks; 12-22-2021 at 1:21 PM.

  2. #2
    tzienlee
    Guest

    Default

    sorry fella, your picture is too small to read or see correct stamps, can you post a bigger picture please ....

  3. #3
    Junior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    18

    Default

    that one better?

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    Doesn't matter about the font the boss has been filed down. Don't ride that one anywhere it might be subject to inspection.
    Dusty

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DustyDave View Post
    Doesn't matter about the font the boss has been filed down. Don't ride that one anywhere it might be subject to inspection.
    Dusty
    The boss should be 1/8" high. Any questions about old Harley numbers go to the Panhead&Flathead site, there are guys there that live to tell you about that stuff.

    https://www.hydra-glide.net/phpBB3/i...24282838a42cee

  6. #6

    Default

    I could be wrong to me it looks like welding was done on the right side of the timing hole and continued onto vin pad.

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    13,421

    Default


  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,407

    Default

    Restamped for sure................ Pass on it................

  9. #9
    Junior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Man, I just can't find one with clean numbers. This is like 3 in a row with something fishy going on.

    Thanks everyone

  10. #10
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    13,421

    Default

    Well ....

    I got an idea ... !!





    This case is a faithful reproduction of the left–hand 1955-1964 Panhead engine case.
    It is made from 356 aluminum alloy which has been heat treated to T6 specifications.

    Just like the original Panhead engine case, the main bearing bore is a cast in keyed steel insert machined for 69-up Timken style main bearing. It has the original part number cast on the inside. The cylinder deck and bore, the motor mounts, and the main bearing bore are all left with .040-.060 of material so that it can be perfectly matched up to your original right hand case,

    If you want your motor to look like it did when it originally came from Milwaukee, then this is the case for you.
    Last edited by Dragstews; 12-22-2021 at 6:55 PM.

  11. #11
    Junior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Yeah, I've been to that site as well. I don't mind an engine with some aftermarket parts, but I don't want something pretending to be something it's not.

  12. #12
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    13,421

    Default

    Only your Hairdresser knows for sure ...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	202623162_10223471585596396_2722499601312886398_n.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	107180
    _______________________________________

    This 1940 Baby Knuck (61" EL) is sporting one of "Knuckleworks" re-pop left case ...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_1448.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	107181

    If you laid the re-pop next to the og case ... You would have a very hard time telling which one was which .. !!

    http://chopworks.blogspot.com/2016/0...of-krantz.html
    Last edited by Dragstews; 12-22-2021 at 8:14 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pansshovelsandknucks View Post
    Man, I just can't find one with clean numbers. This is like 3 in a row with something fishy going on.
    Man it's been going on for many many years..........Why people do that to a numbers boss is beyond me.... But I'm not going there............

    I guess my question to you is are you wanting to build a bike from a motor????????? Did that motor have a title in the guys name???????

  14. #14
    Junior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    18

    Default

    I'd like to get a complete bike but I'm not gonna pass on a good motor with solid history. I've been hunting a pan for around 5 or 6 years now. I get all motivated and start searching everywhere for one determined to find it and then get pissed off and stop looking hard for a while after a few months. This cycle has been repeating for a while now.

    That bike had a title with it and was a runner. But I got the sense something weird was going on with it. Kinda buy the seller thing I guess.
    Last edited by pansshovelsandknucks; 12-22-2021 at 11:05 PM.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    156

    Default

    So you condone stamping a VIN on a aftermarket case? And there will be people that no, maybe not your hairdresser but someone's will!

  16. #16
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pansshovelsandknucks View Post
    I'd like to get a complete bike but I'm not gonna pass on a good motor with solid history.
    Cool now I understand......... There are good numbers out their just keep looking....... I've seen many of them through the years.........

    The only thing is the longer you wait the more they cost.........

  17. #17
    Junior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pan620 View Post
    So you condone stamping a VIN on a aftermarket case? And there will be people that no, maybe not your hairdresser but someone's will!
    I don't really care for it, but who am I to tell others what to do. I kinda get it if there's a title and insurance on a bike and the left case gets damaged. But I would tell someone if I sold it what happened and not try to pass it as an original.

  18. #18
    Junior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Cool now I understand......... There are good numbers out their just keep looking....... I've seen many of them through the years.........

    The only thing is the longer you wait the more they cost.........
    Yeah, I've found a few that seem legit. Most are high dollar, but may be worth it. And yeah, they are getting higher and harder to find as time goes on. Hopefully I can find one soon!

  19. #19

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    712

    Default Poor choice of VIN sequence?

    Quote Originally Posted by pansshovelsandknucks View Post
    I've looked at examples and I still can't get a great feeling on these numbers. The 4s seem unique and the most of the 6s from that year that I can find are the straight ones. any experts care to chime in on an opinion on these numbers? Belly's match, start with 163 and have the same type of 6s in them as well, but no 4s...

    I dont beleive production numbers on 1963 FL or FLH s ever went above 2200 on each

    In 1964, I dont believe FLs were even made

    If the OPs pic shows a 64 sequence number of over 6500, is this a made up VIN sequence?

    OR

    Did HD back then use ALL HD models (Sporties, BT, Servicars, etc) as part of thier sequence numbers in the same production year? (Some auto manufacturers did, such as Mother Mopar)

  20. #20
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by docmel View Post
    I dont beleive production numbers on 1963 FL or FLH s ever went above 2200 on each

    In 1964, I dont believe FLs were even made

    If the OPs pic shows a 64 sequence number of over 6500, is this a made up VIN sequence?

    OR

    Did HD back then use ALL HD models (Sporties, BT, Servicars, etc) as part of thier sequence numbers in the same production year? (Some auto manufacturers did, such as Mother Mopar)
    I believe the last is true, that the number sequence covered all models. Some pans had five digit numbers, and I don't know if they ever made 10,000 big twins in a single model year back then.

    Jim

Share This



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in