CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBuggy View Post
    Clean scoot, the new bars are excellent
    Thanks ����

Get Adobe Flash player

Thought Iíd throw an update on Rex. No problems since the build and Iíve put quite a few miles on. Just recently changed out the cams to SE-204 and they preform nicely. The sound is much better as a bonus. Iím considering going with a stretched tank from a pro street style bike but havenít figured out the fuel pump install yet. Rumor is someone makes a plate to put a sportster pump in a carb style tank.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8CDF8A29-759B-46CC-ABBB-6D2D9BDD30A6.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	109319

Get Adobe Flash player

Just finished the last chopper ride of the year. Rex is going to get a make over and has to come off the road. Main change will be the tank but that involves a lot of work. If money and time permits Iíll move onto the tail section and try to get some better lines going.

Hereís the tank and as you can tell the square backbone really stands out and has to go.

Get Adobe Flash player

I’m committed now, keeping the same stance but going with round tube backbone and getting rid of the cast neck lowers.

Once the rat bike frame is attached to the handle bars, you will need to connect the wheels to the rat bike. You can either use quick release skewer or you can use a lock nut. A quick release skewer is easier to use, however, a lock nut makes it harder to remove the wheel from the rat bike. The Bajaj Dominar 400 is the best bike for Dog Horoscope 2023.

Get Adobe Flash player

Got the back bone coped and in place with the down tube in place to get a good look at the lines. Slow but steady progress

Get Adobe Flash player

Itís all tacked together and ready for final welding. Wiring harness striped and converted to carb and simple wiring harness.

Top motor mount ruffed in.

Had to build a map sensor plug, double o-ring to make sure no vacuum leaks.

Went with a simple ignition system that uses the crank sensor.

Trying to explain the plan to my Daughter, she pretends to care

Get Adobe Flash player

Loosely put it together so I could see the overall stance and lines before I build the new rear struts

Get Adobe Flash player

That looks GOOD!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by rockman96 View Post
    That looks GOOD!
    Thanks, man. Lots of work left but having a blast building it.

Get Adobe Flash player

The rear fender Iím planning on using is now cut and on for a look see.

Hereís a look with the stock strut to show how much extra is cut from the red fender which is stock for the newer models.

Get Adobe Flash player

Now that the ride height is set I played around with angle finders, angle iron, squares and string to find out my real numbers. I was able to maintain the 32.5* rake of before and measured 5.25” of trail which puts me in the ball park.
    Last edited by johnwesley; 11-25-2022 at 5:50 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hereís a pic of the trail measurements

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0EDB9A54-D83D-4B26-9CD8-1CB697EF979E-L.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Looking around the bike today I decided I did not like the boob looking threaded radius. So cut it flush and like the look much better. Little by little it’s coming together.

Get Adobe Flash player

got enough done on the chop to give a small update. the frame is painted and ready for wiring and parts fab.

The tank had a dozen pin holes that are now airtight and filled. With the tank sealed up, it's time for bodywork and paint. The painter is saying a month so I'm planning on two, hopefully by the end of February.

mocked up the rear fender and drilled holes for the front sissy bar mount, this is the most assembled-looking it will be until the paint is done.

looking at different bar options I've decided to give the rabbit-style bars a try, but with more spread in the handgrips. This is a cut-up set of apes just to get a feel for the look.

Get Adobe Flash player

Not much but I really like how it turned out. I wanted to cut the ugly off the motor mount and still have a way to hang my ignition wire/ spark plug wire. Lots of ideas came and went, but I decided on the simple answer.

Get Adobe Flash player

Been working on a headlight mount. Took a while to figure out how I wanted to mount and get the height right. My first build just had the light to high, I couldn’t get use to it. So toss it and start over. Build #2 had the height right but the light was too far forward. Cut it apart and pull the light back an inch. Now it’s where I want it. With that set I turned my attention to the bars. The height was a bit higher than I like and with the long fork tubes they didn’t look good . Cut two inches off, much better visually and the fit is better. I’m still unsure on them, I may try bending up a set and just see...

The below pic is with the headlight on my first mount

This is the second mount with the height I wanted but pushed too far away from the triple tree for my taste.

The third one was just right

This is the handlebars at 10” tall

This is at 8” tall

This is where I left the shop headlight where I wanted and bars in a better position.

Headlight mount in the raw

Get Adobe Flash player

Today is an exciting day, one I have been waiting on for a while.

never really had the extra cash to blow on one part without risking putting the build on hold. Checked the ole bank account and had some extra, hope I don’t end up needing it :hmmmmm So I sprung for a wheel I’ve been eyeballing since I first chopped the bike. It should fit the big brake rotor well.

Once it was tired up and brake disc mounted, I was sure it was the right decision.

And the true tale was being mounted on the bike. Not everyone’s cup but I’m loving the look. Now I have to do something with the rear wheel :scratch ….maybe

Get Adobe Flash player

work is keeping me swamped which makes progress hard. I took some time off as my next few weekends are tied up. I did make a lot of progress though and that's exciting.

A friend of mine went to work for a new guy who does industrial fabrication and then introduced me to his boss, Chris. We hit it off well which led to using some equipment for the sissy bar and new handlebars. The fab table is a God send for keeping the sissy bar flat and even. Just so you know I listen, I bent up new bars that are the height of the original with less drop. They do look better and while my hands are a touch higher they are also back further which puts my spine in a comfortable position.

My old sissy bar worked ok but it needed some improvement. Back to the drawing board for a new sissy bar that functions better. V2 has a loop on top that will keep my luggage from trying to shift as much. With the old bar, my top strap would have a tendency to slide down allowing the bag to lean off to one side a bit, never in danger, it just didn't look good. the top loop will fix this problem. I am really excited about how the build is coming along. Not a show chopper but a go chopper.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycl..._3524-1280.mp4

I forgot to mention he has a plasma table, that is a handy tool for sure

Share This