Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 7and7is
    • Dec 2012

Crankcase oil seal question

Primary on my 88 E glide has been leaking for a while so decided to replace the gasket and when draining the oil noticed it was black so my first thought is the crankcase oil seal, its also my understanding that the 2 small screws that hold the stator wires can also leak, no huge discrepancy in fluid levels, was wonder if I can apply pressure to the crankcase through the breather with my air compressor (Bottom breather) to see were the leak is, bike only has 21,000 miles and don't want to remove the oil seal if I don't need to.
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by 7and7is

Was wondering if I can apply pressure to the crankcase through the breather with my air compressor (Bottom breather) to see were the leak is..
    Take off the stator & rotor and with a propane hand held torch warm up the case around the seal ... Then pump in air at around 10-15 psi ... With a water solution mixed with dish washing soap spray around the seal ..

Report back what you see ...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 10-28-2021, 6:09 PM.
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• 7and7is
      • Dec 2012

Definitely the oil seal, nothing major mind you but enough that it was contaminating the primary fluid, pulled the old seal, going to install new seal, couple of questions on the seal, when i removed the old seal the side with the spring was facing toward the primary (which is how the manual says to install for wet clutch), it also says to reverse the seal for dry clutch, Im assuming to keep oil from entering the primary, now whats confusing to me is that, isn't that the goal for both applications to keep engine oil from entering the primary? So why the differing applications? The other question is, if driving in the bearing with the "correct" application should drive in the bearing here:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20211030_133024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	1320838

Or here:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20211030_133033.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	1320839

Comment

• Whoremonger
        • Jan 2014

I always try to apply the driving force in location of lower picture, Less chance of distorting the metal part of the seal

Comment

• misfitJason
          • Sep 2009

Change the spacer as well if it has any type of wear on it

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Whoremonger
            I always try to apply the driving force in location of lower picture, Less chance of distorting the metal part of the seal
            Sure would be nice to use a tool that presses the seal in ...

No chance of damage to the seal ...
            Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• 7and7is
              • Dec 2012

Yes it would be nice to have the tool, but between my bike and my truck (Head gasket) my wife is about to lay an egg, so I am going to resort to some form off home brew tool, the spacer looks real good so going to leave it for now, thanks for the responses anyone else feel free to chime in.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;