Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cuddles
    • Feb 2019

Shovelhead primary belt

I'm just about finished with my project bike. Its a 78 hard tailed frame with a shovel in it. I have a 2 inch belt drive, but I'd like to swap it for a 1.5". The issue I have is belt tension.

I use an original inner primary to align the engine+transmission. Both of the belt drives I have are BDL. Using the inner primary leaves the 2" belt pretty loose and the 1.5" belt will barely go on. It's very tight.

Is there a way I can set these up with regular garage tools?
  • confab
    • May 2019

Is there some reason a straight edge wouldn't work?

Comment

• Cuddles
      • Feb 2019

I have trouble keeping the left/right and front/back from moving. Do you do it without the belt on?

Comment

• docmel
        • May 2015

Originally posted by Cuddles
        I have trouble keeping the left/right and front/back from moving. Do you do it without the belt on?
        This has been covered before. Very common issue that the belt is too tight or loose and the tranny adjustment wont help Ill see if I cant get the link. You need a bearing idler for tension

Comment

• docmel
          • May 2015

Your issue isnt really alignment. Even if it was, there isnt much you can do for belts riding too far left or right (as seen from above) on the pulleys, and that shouldnt be your problem

For some reason, on some builds with front open belt drives, the common available belts sizes are either a little long or short, really no in between, no matter how far front or rear the tranny adjustment is.

You need a idler bearing, or in some speak, a belt tensioner idler for the looser belt. If the tranny is canted left or right, as I beleive you are saying?, and the belt is too tight or loose, I dont think thats the cause. Its just the belt size (length)

Im running a 1.5 open belt, and while the belt tracks a liitle outboard (not exactly in the center) and the pulleys are like 2 inches wide or so), it doesnt run off or rub the side of the pulley. And yes, my 1.5 was way too loose even with the tranny all the way to the rear

Whatever you choose to do, realize most folks run the front belt too tight. It should twist in the middle almost a 1/8 to 1/4 turn when you twist it by hand

Heres the link http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55290

Good luck, keep us in the know

Comment

• confab
            • May 2019

I don't have one, but a guy I watch on the internet tubes has a trans plate with positive adjustment screws built into it. It looks like it should work great?

It is in two pieces and the top slides via two allens in the rear and you draw the plate back and forth to adjust tension, then lock it down.

We got one for the Mrs's project, but haven't used it yet. Hers is a VTwin part.

Comment

• confab
              • May 2019

PS: It is a black version of this one:

Adjustable transmission mounting plate with a chrome finish. Features built in adjuster screws for positive and even adjustment.

Comment

• Whoremonger
                • Jan 2014

I have one of those adjusters. They work great and help preserve tranny cases but a HUGE pain to adjust

Comment

• Cuddles
                  • Feb 2019

I have a 2" belt, now. It rides in the middle most of the time. Sometimes it rides inward off the edge of the pulley. I have a 1.5" setup I was going to put back on mostly just for the guides on the front pulley, but I think I'll stick with the 2".

This bike is very close to being finished. I'm running into trouble here and there. I had oil flow issues, before. Got that straightened out, and now, I seem to have a problem with crankcase pressure. Some day, I'll ride this bike outside our neighborhood. maybe.

Comment

• Whoremonger
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by confab
                    PS: It is a black version of this one:

https://www2.vtwinmfg.com/adjustable...ing-plate.html
                    This is not the same as the one i got. This look alot more user friendly . Wish i knew about it before i installed the one i got.

Comment

• confab
                      • May 2019

It looks like it will work real good!

Can't speak to it yet, though. Winter time projects.

If OP is still having trouble after this is over, maybe give one of those a shot?

Comment

• Cuddles
                        • Feb 2019

I think I'll stick with the looser belt. I ran a 1.5" before. It was a bear to get on and off and eventually broke. The 2" is loose but not too bad.

Comment

• seaking
                          • Jul 2013

Really both instances you're having an assembly issue, your 1.5in and 2in belts are the same--ALL BDL belt drives are setup for 12-13/16in center between the motor and trans shafts. The pulley size and combo dictate belt length. So make sure your belt matches the tooth count. If you bought each kit new you won't have this issue.
                          When I assemble I get everything where I want it alignment wise, put the belt on. If it's too tight, I keep the motor bolts in loose, keep the trans ear nuts snug to the inner primary, and loosen the trans plate bolts just enough that I have tight movement. Then I hit the trans with a rubber (lead) mallet until belt tension is proper. You also may need to shim between the motor and inner primary.

Comment

• docmel
                            • May 2015

Belt tension is subjective. What I was told long ago, and seems to work, is the belt should be able to be twisted by hand in the middle, a 1/8 turn, or a little more. Folks seem to tend to adjust them too tight

Comment

• confab
                              • May 2019

Originally posted by seaking
                              ALL BDL belt drives are setup for 12-13/16in center between the motor and trans shafts. The pulley size and combo dictate belt length.
                              Is this measurement also good for stock primary setups on the BT Pan, Shovel, Etc? Anyone?
                              Last edited by confab; 11-23-2021, 8:54 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;