CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Lookin good so far. I'm also in the process, but still ordering parts right now. I like the look of their horseshoe oil tank, but I ended up with a dished tank with a bolt on mount. I plan on welding the bracket to the frame and getting some kind of rubber bushings or something for when I bolt the oil tank onto the bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwillis View Post
    Lookin good so far. I'm also in the process, but still ordering parts right now. I like the look of their horseshoe oil tank, but I ended up with a dished tank with a bolt on mount. I plan on welding the bracket to the frame and getting some kind of rubber bushings or something for when I bolt the oil tank onto the bracket.

Nice. Well i went back a step… i had a friend of a friend do the frame welds. Said hes awas a pro of 8 year working experience. Was grinding down his welds and find he Left all sorts of porosity on each weld. I had a bad feeling so i took it to a fab shop and they confirmed my thoughts. Theyre grinding em down and rewelding for me. Should have the frame back next week.

We bought a welder too. I can do better than what he did. Just wanted to leave the frame to a “pro”. Ill be takin care of any future welds.

Got the frame back from the fav shop. The welds got a grindin, cleaning, and reweldin. They look 1000x better.

Learned my lesson… dont take peoples resumes as proof of skill. Next time i will ask for photos of their work…

Anyway, bike is back together. Next is weding exhaust hanger, passenger pegs, and tackling the rear brake stay/bracket remodel.

Bikes comin along. Doing the oil lines today. Electrical is all in place aside from the ignition module. I am switching from a stock style brick to a Dyna 2000i to reduce wires and bulk. Once i get my cam cover gasket i will chop that up and install the ignition module and then the wiring will be done.

2 questions:

When welding an exhaust hanger for my rear pipe, what is the order of operations? If i tighten down the head clamps it seems it is pretty cocked out to the side. If i remember correctly from my stock setup, you bolt the pipe to the hanger loosely
    While you tighten head clamps… anyway, any tips on getting the exhaust set up?

Second: what do yall think about just mounting my circuit breakers to the top of my oil tank with strong adhesive and velcro for maintenance purposes? It sits beteen the tank and the seat. Theres not really enough space to use any sort of hardware without drilling into the oil tank i think… lemme know!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05F6E2A6-66F2-483E-82CF-E339E1E8BC3A.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	107152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2208CCE8-8E60-4D7B-A03F-ABB511B6BD82.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	107153

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85F95358-0E2D-438D-BEF3-CC73810F061A.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	107251Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B6711148-CC17-4D4F-BC22-A92746579E28.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	107252

Milled down the stock brake caliper bracket so that it can sit in the frame rather than dangle. Will post mounted photos later
    Today.

Name:	237B6A47-1BD4-41EB-A6BD-5EDC18361D21.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	107253

Everythings good to go! Finished up oil lines, electrical, and brakes.

Fired her up and oil pissed everywhere!!!
    Anyone doing a cam cover chop keep in mind you may cut through a channel that goes i to the case and need to be tapped and plugged!!!

Not sure why i didn't see it come up in any of the write ups ive seen but a quick search after The leak brought me here and i learned you gotta tap and plug it.

Was an easy fix, and after was able to take about an hour ride! Only issue was the wires from my prism tailight got ripped right off due to vibrations… their LED wires seem way too delicate. I shrubk wrapped then and everything but ultimately it broke right at the LED. Thinking im gonna wire it and cover the connection in silicone this time? Idk seems too fragile for a chop. Any ideas welcome.

Name:	7EBD7A3A-6FCA-4D9E-9084-25A69CD202CF.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	107264

Brake caliper is tucked nicely
    Within the frame

Get Adobe Flash player

My lowbrow hardtail has the same dip. It took a lot of fussing around to get it damn near straight.
    I used a couple of ratchet straps to pull it apart with the motor fully installed.

Get Adobe Flash player

Whats the link? I have a manual. But it doesnt say what order.
    And thanks for writing that out! It helped me out

what brand is the seat you have?

Good to know! I’m doing my first build was just thinking about chopping cam & sprocket cover. I also got that same prism tail light.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimison View Post
    Good to know! I’m doing my first build was just thinking about chopping cam & sprocket cover. I also got that same prism tail light.
    Hell yeah man! Love the prism light…. Except the wiring…. It seems really delicate where the wire attached to the LED “bulb”. Especially when you have a duffel strapped right up against it all the time. With my new sissy set up i put a little plate across where the wire comes out so bags dont push against the wire all the time. Still recommend the light but just something to consider.

As far as the cam cover chop…. Do it! But dont be an idiot like me haha. You gotta relieve tension on the cams before you pull the cover. I just pulled the cover and then had a hard time gsttin it back on. I hit a sweet spot and it slipped right on but it was a struggle (a gentle struggle
    But just had to meep moving around lightly and then finally it just slipped into place). From what ive heard here and on r/choppers i just got lucky….

looks good!

Place seems dead but what the hell…

Bikes nearly done. Replacing the current wilder factory cobra with a river seat compny dayten.

No hate for wilder factory. Love the seat, already knownitll find a good home. I just like the older-school look of the dayten. And some springs will be welcomed byClick image for larger version. 

Name:	D21CC8E6-98B9-4FB3-9BC4-C131B9CE62C5.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	108088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A917CC48-3EE3-47E4-9C13-9DE3306CAE2A.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	108089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3AD1D1FE-E046-4676-95AC-484DD8279993.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	108090
    My injured back( not moto related.)

I really like how the bike turned out! That tank and the seat look great together.

Where did ya end up mounting your circuit breakers? I’m about to wire mine, but want to figure out where to put those first.

I think I have the same setup as you, with the little 2 breaker mounts. Two 15amp and two 30amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimison View Post
    Where did ya end up mounting your circuit breakers? I’m about to wire mine, but want to figure out where to put those first.

I think I have the same setup as you, with the little 2 breaker mounts. Two 15amp and two 30amp.
    Yeah thats what ive got. I used two of these from hawthorne:

https://www.chopshit.com/product/hcc...-breaker-mount

They are on the inside panel of my oil tank. Believe it or
    Not they are velcro’d using scotch adhesive velcro tabs. They havent move at all. (They weigh nothing and the some
    Of the wires are ziptied to the cross bar of the frame so its got a back up in case the velcro did come off. I dont suspect it will though its rated for a lot of weight.

Its also nice when i need to check connections i can pull em out and have em above the seat.

Oh and heres an ipdate for the thread:

Name:	8485F521-CA69-4510-B0F7-66C4C5F19984.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	108231

Get Adobe Flash player

That seat looks way better. Nice looking bike!

Get Adobe Flash player

Very cool.

Get Adobe Flash player

Great looking chop! Nice work

Share This