Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alpentolic
    • Aug 2014

Relocating Oil Line Fittings On Chopper Tank

Installing some fittings on this British oil bag to run on an Evo Sportster chopper. I've heard I want to have the return and vent lines up high, and the feed low, but I've also seen tanks for sale with all three inline along the bottom.

The pic is roughly where I would be fitting the 1/8" NPT couplings to install some partial hard lines. I've only put together Big Twins; the right side chain is throwing me off a little bit. Anybody think other spots would work better to keep the lines tucked and out of the way of moving parts? Thanks.
    Attached Files
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Just put a tube in the bung that goes towards the top of the tank.............. If that's what your asking that is.............

Comment

• Tater66
      • Mar 2019

Lowbrow tanks have a tube brazed onto the fittings. This brings the vent and return up to top of tank. Obviously inside the tank so you cant see that.

I believe that the welded fitting on your tank that is inline with the filler spout is the vent.

BTW, Im mocking up a Brit tank on an Evo Sporty as well. After you questions get answered I may tag along on this thread with few question myself if you dont mind.
      Last edited by Tater66; 10-10-2021, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• frisco1rigid
        • Sep 2021

When I get an oil bag with fittings on the bottom I simply do just as you are.
        I plug the fittings and drill holes in the top where desired and have a Heli-arc master weld on bungs. Of course I leave the Feed and Drain bungs on the bottom like Duh. The Return and Vent lines up top eliminate a spider nest of lines under the bag which can also interfere with Starter motor etc etc.
        As far the positioning -- You are there and have it in front of you.
        I am confident you will see the correct/safe place to place the bungs. Here are 3 examples. those are the Vent lines, the return lines are same on other end of bag.
        Have a ball
        Click image for larger version

Name:	bungs 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	1320518

Name:	bungs 002.jpg
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	1320519

Name:	bungs 003.jpg
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	1320520

Comment

• DustyDave
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

If the bottom outlets are some place handy you can braise or silver solder a piece of tube into the elbows or nipples.
          Dusty
          Driving that train, high on cocaine
          Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
          Trouble ahead, trouble behind
          And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• Alpentolic
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Tater66
            Lowbrow tanks have a tube brazed onto the fittings. This brings the vent and return up to top of tank. Obviously inside the tank so you cant see that.

I believe that the welded fitting on your tank that is inline with the filler spout is the vent.

BTW, Im mocking up a Brit tank on an Evo Sporty as well. After you questions get answered I may tag along on this thread with few question myself if you dont mind.
            Yep, the old fittings I cut off had tubes running up to the top internally. Unfortunately they weren't in a great spot, too small, and in the way of a support mount on the bottom.

I suppose I could fab up some kind of support mount for the top instead, but I would have to work around that vent fitting on the top and it already has a downtube clamp. I figured a little sturdy tab with an isolator I can bolt to would make it pretty bulletproof.

I also figured the easy route since welding isn't a problem was to just weld in new 1/8" NPT fittings on the outside of the tank, 2 high for vent & return, 1 low for feed and be done with it. I like the flexibility of being able to use the old BT style fittings with hard lines, or brass nipple style fittings, etc. depending how the build shakes out.

I'll be sure to take plenty of pics if you end up going a route similar. Thanks and cheers.

Comment

• Alpentolic
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by DustyDave
              If the bottom outlets are some place handy you can braise or silver solder a piece of tube into the elbows or nipples.
              Dusty
              That's a great idea too appreciate it.

Comment

• Alpentolic
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Tattooo
                Just put a tube in the bung that goes towards the top of the tank.............. If that's what your asking that is.............
                Basically, yeah. More specifically whether it's alright to eliminate the tubes and just put fittings in more convenient locations on the tank. thanks.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;