CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Need Shovelhead Help

Alright fellas,

I apologize if this turns out to be a long winded post but I've come to the point in this build where my knowledge has completely run out. This thing has fought me in every sense of the word. It's a 75 FLH that I sent to Haifley to hardtail & straighten the frame. My biggest hang up at this point is most everything axle/brake wise. Im running a 18in sportster wheel laced to a starhub. When I bought it, it came with a Panhead axle & spacers. I have since decided to run mechanical brake so I have bought the entire axle setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CD3B6C43-597C-4229-87E5-04F5C6FB52AC.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	105295

Im terrible at wording questions so without further ado, nothing that I have works. The axle won't go through the hub (no big deal I'll just use the panhead one). Im also having trouble with the axle sleeve not going through the brake housing. I guess I was under the impression after the hardtail that this would be the kit that I would need with as little as hassle?

So close but yet so far on this thing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1943.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	315.2 KB 
ID:	105296

Have you talked to the people who you paid to work on your frame?

Get Adobe Flash player

No I havenít, Iíll shoot them an email & see what I can come up with

just for my own knowledge to better help you. its a shovel frame with the hailfley hardtail. star hub?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by qcchop View Post
    just for my own knowledge to better help you. its a shovel frame with the hailfley hardtail. star hub?
    Yes that’s correct

Get Adobe Flash player

Beware of tolerances on the pattern parts you have bought. Lately, I bought an axle and sleeve for a wideglide drum brake front end, from a well-known catalogue. Useless shit that didn't fit. Used an OEM sleeve and axle from Paughco- no problems.

Get Adobe Flash player

A lot of these custom parts suppliers that have their product made overseas don't seem to bother having ANY r&d and measure their parts for tolerance, they just release them and apologize to their customer or freely accept returns when they don't fit. They're either made from the OG part and shrink or don't follow original intended dimensions, or their machining tolerances are too wide.
    The more forgivable problem with CNC and sealed bearings is the plus or minus 2-5 thousandths for proper fitment that I've had with USA quality parts. That just requires some fine sanding or better yet popping the axle in the freezer so that it shrinks enough to fit inside a room temp bearing.

To the OP--if you can't properly measure and blueprint the ID of the wheel and the OD of the axle parts--send it back and get a paughco set like above before you mar it all up trying to make it fit. There is the possibility that you can pull 1-5 thousandths with some sandpaper and lathe or even a drill but don't be stupid like me just send it back.

When using original hd parts such as your star hub it is best to use original hd axels and spacers. They come up all the time on eBay. Aftermarket rarely mixes well with original. Good luck

Share This