83 XLX Wheel Bearing No End Play, No Inner Spacers., WTF?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HypoLuxa
    • Aug 2021

83 XLX Wheel Bearing No End Play, No Inner Spacers., WTF?

Hopefully asking in the right forum.

Got a new front wheel. Setting end play. With no inner spacers installed the bearings get so tight the wheel stops spinning, no end play with no inner spacers in the hub between bearings. What am I doing wrong? Frustrated as a monkey fucking a football.

Axle in a vice > outer spacer > inner bearings(cone) > outer race > hub in > hub out > outer race > inner bearings(cone) > outer spacers to threads on axle > washer > lock washer > nut.

I have two inner spacers and shims and a top hat but none of those are in the wheel on the axle on the vice and the wheel has zero end play.

thanks
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

The spacer & shims are what hold the cones apart, and that is what gives you the end play. Yes, with nothing holding them apart, you can crank down on the axle nut and preload the bearings hard.

Put in the spacer & shims and use shim selection to set the end float. The raised part of the stepped washer goes against the bearing.

Jim

Comment

• HypoLuxa
      • Aug 2021

thank you Jim, I had the idea backwards. I thought the longer the spacer made the end play smaller. The internal spacer I had is way too small and the one that came with the new wheel is just barely too small. The top hat I have is too large for the longer spacer...etc long story short I understand the concept now and I can make headway.

thanks again for the time and response.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;