Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimP
    • Aug 2021

starter

First things first. I want to thank you all for your info and advice, it means a bunch to an old man. I finally got the primary belt on and working, then all of a sudden the starter started acting up the gear that is pushed out to the clutch to start would not go out far enough to kick in, not all the time just 2 out of 3 times. Most of the times it did nothing and just spun. Took the starter out trying figure out who made and the model I'm thinking it's an ultima
    Attached Files
  • Sugarcubes
    • Apr 2024

So the starter jackshaft is long enough to fully engage the teeth on the clutch ring gear? Im assuming if it connects 1/3 times that it is.
    Are you running an outside jackshaft support cover of any kind or are you trying to start it without this on. I ask this because most belt drive primaries that retain an electric starter require some kind of cover to support the jackshaft and ensure it fires straight.

If I try and use the electric start on my BDL enclosed primary without the outside cover on, sometimes the gear will engage cleanly and other times it will flop and miss.

Comment

• JimP
      • Aug 2021

Even with the primary cover, which has a support hole on it, it does the same thing.

Comment

• Sugarcubes
        • Apr 2024

check for damage on the jackshaft gear teeth, make sure its the right length shaft and gear end and make sure the jackshaft assembly is put together in the correct order. Other than that, im out

Comment

• Revelator
          • Aug 2009

Probably a faulty Solenoid. Easy fix. the copper contacts inside degrade
          over time & get pitted & dirty (soot) from the current arcing across the contacts.
          easy to pull off the cover & take a look. Replacement kits are inexpensive.

Comment

• JimP
            • Aug 2021

Yeah everything checks out with the jackshaft, and I understand I'm at my technical limit.

Comment

• JimP
              • Aug 2021

I'll check that out, the starter is 18 years old but in taking it out I noticed evidence of being taken out before hmmm indicating problems before? Starter has no numbers anywhere on it to indicate what model number it is, but in looking at pictures on the ultima site I believe the make is an ultima.

Comment

• JimP
                • Aug 2021

ah piss on it, it looks as if there has been problems with it before, screws stripped, etc., I'm gonna get a new one so I don't have to worry about it, and ride the damn thing

Comment

• JimP
                  • Aug 2021

Bought a new Ultima starter and a new jackshaft, all went in sweet as can be, damn started right up. Problem solved.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;