Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • confab
    • May 2019

PPS: Although, I think it was lost in the Crash of 21, Lisa Ballard was advertising some guy who did Harley instruction manuals in a very basic form in the main part of the website.

It was electrical information as it relates to motorcycles and was drawn in almost a cartoon format. It was aimed at beginners or people with little experience and broke systems down and answered basic questions and generally looked to be very well constructed and thought out.

I can't think of the guy's name right off.. But someone here will know it and that might be worth having if you decide to just rebuild from scratch.

Good Luck, Bro!

Comment

• Hubbard
      • Dec 2010

Jim, you'll be miles ahead if you rip all the clusterfuck out and start fresh, tryin to patch a fucked wiring harness is a waste of time and energy not to mention risking more trouble or a fire.

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

My suggestion would be, if you are familiar with the elecrics on motorcycles, keep the wiring harness, most of which will be the factory installed wires. Go through it, drawing your own diagram as you go. Where you can determine that wires were added or repaired, do take that stuff out and repair or replace it properly. If that is beyond your capabilities, you need to take the advice above, and turn it over to someone who KNOWS what he is doing.

Many of the commercial "choppers" had wiring based on the H-D system, and H-D used the same colors for the same circuits for years and years. Therefore, a wiring diagram from an early '90s Softail, for instance, might be helpful to you if you cannot find a diagram for your particular bike.

Jim

Comment

• JBinNC
          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Hubbard
          Jim, you'll be miles ahead if you rip all the clusterfuck out and start fresh, tryin to patch a fucked wiring harness is a waste of time and energy not to mention risking more trouble or a fire.
          I disagree with this advice, because at least in the case of H-D, the factory harness is very good, and a good basis to build on. I am assuming that the OP's bike had a decent harness to start with, and I would keep it and FIX it, rather than throwing out the baby with the bathwater. If the bike were 40 years old, it might be a different story. (But my '80 H-D still has its factory harness.)

Of course, after repairing a butchered harness, you might wish you had ripped it all out and started from scratch.

I make custom wiring harnesses for bikes and I am definitely not intimidated by starting from zero, but still, making use of the existing harness is my advice.

Jim

Comment

• JimP
            • Aug 2021

As usual you give good advice, Jim. I am going to take off the tank and trace the 5 or 6 wires I'm not comfortable with. I have a friend who has the technical manual for an HD and use that as a reference. I'll keep everyone know how it goes.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
              If the bike were 40 years old, it might be a different story. (But my '80 H-D still has its factory harness.)

Of course, after repairing a butchered harness, you might wish you had ripped it all out and started from scratch.

I make custom wiring harnesses for bikes and I am definitely not intimidated by starting from zero, but still, making use of the existing harness is my advice.

Jim
              Hell my 79 FXS has the stock wiring still on it, it had the harness going into the headlight cut into now that is a LOT of wires because someone was to lazy to unpin it..... But I fixed it...

I totally agree, I also make harnesses from scratch........ If his harness it's to bad and I bet it isn't once you get all the added crap off of it it will be real easy to straighten out....... And I still say no wiring diagram will be needed with a multi-meter.......

Comment

• Whoremonger
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Tattooo
                Hell my 79 FXS has the stock wiring still on it, it had the harness going into the headlight cut into now that is a LOT of wires because someone was to lazy to unpin it..... But I fixed it...

I totally agree, I also make harnesses from scratch........ If his harness it's to bad and I bet it isn't once you get all the added crap off of it it will be real easy to straighten out....... And I still say no wiring diagram will be needed with a multi-meter.......
                Agree that you dont need a wiring diagram if you have a multimeter and know how to use it. But a diagram does help.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Whoremonger
                  Agree that you dont need a wiring diagram if you have a multimeter and know how to use it. But a diagram does help.
                  Yep it doesn't hurt if you can find one for an aftermarket bike...........

Comment

• JimP
                    • Aug 2021

Well after the month of September tracing wires....I'm ordering an Ultima Plus 18-533 harness.
                    Confab and Hubbard you were right, tear that bullshit out and start over. The only use for the old is pulling the new stuff in.

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JimP
                      Well after the month of September tracing wires....I'm ordering an Ultima Plus 18-533 harness.
                      Confab and Hubbard you were right, tear that bullshit out and start over. The only use for the old is pulling the new stuff in.
                      Post a pic of some of the messed up wiring. Close ups and further back pics..............

Comment

• JimP
                        • Aug 2021

I talked to the original buyer he stated he rode the bike nothing was changed (by the looks of the oil that was in it, the oil wasn't either) on the bike, so if Big Mike's Choppers were still in business I would suggest he fire his electrical tech!

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

I talked to the original buyer he stated he rode the bike nothing was changed (by the looks of the oil that was in it, the oil wasn't either) on the bike, so if Big Mike's Choppers were still in business I would suggest he fire his electrical tech!
                          I don't blame you. That's more than likely one reason why they are out of business....... Plus the fat tire craze is over........

Ultima parts aren't much better I hate to tell you...........

I'd still like to see pics of the old harness..........

Comment

• JimP
                            • Aug 2021

I'll send pics of the old one it will be awhile though. Could you expand on what you have heard/experienced with the Ultima Plus wire harness, might save me some heartache

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

I'll send pics of the old one it will be awhile though. Could you expand on what you have heard/experienced with the Ultima Plus wire harness, might save me some heartache
                              I don't like ANYTHING that ultima makes............. That's just me to me it's all junk and cheaply made...........

Comment

• JimP
                                • Aug 2021

Well don't hold back, tell me how you feel

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;