CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Moving to PA, how do I pass inspection with a chopper?

Hey looking for some help from PA guys.

I'm moving to PA from out of state, my bike has never been thru an inspection before, we didn't have em and it's not street legal.

PA has YEARLY inspection? thats bs. how do choppers pass every year? is there a way around it?

thanks

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

What's your current residence? You might be able to keep the bike registered there and never have to re-up. If you can maintain your registration via mail, I wouldn't bother with that bs. I had an Oregon truck in Wyoming for years. And when the police want to do their yearly inspections just tell them it's a traveling bike from elsewhere?

Get Adobe Flash player

What part of PA? I'm in MD but yea, yearly inspections. Most either register out of state or get in tight with someone who knows someone who knows someone that makes/sells stickers. Or, put blinkers and mirrors on your bike once a year.

Get Adobe Flash player

When I lived in a inspection State I kept a big box of mufflers, horn, mirrors, etc that I put on once a year.
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

When I lived in NH I asked a local shop guy the same question he said don't get a sticker on a bike that obviously wouldn't pass because then you'll get pulled over and questioned about where you bought the sticker so I rode for 2 years with no sticker and never had a problem I did get antique plates so maybe that helped

Thanks for the info. I'm in Philly, I'll keep er registered out of state for now. I have enough parts laying around to slap it together but was just wondering if I could avoid that. I'll get antique plates thats a good idea. Cops probably see its old and dont give a shit haha

I live in Philly and have been riding choppers here for 10 years. I have never once gotten any of my bikes inspected. You’ll be fine without an inspection. Cops here have enough things going on, they’re not worried about whether or not your bike is inspected.

You might think I’m crazy but you’ll see that’s normal once you start meeting people here. Even on the wayyyy off chance you somehow got a cop who cared, it’s a $100 fine which is about the same price as the inspection itself. They wouldn’t take your bike or anything. Just make sure you have current registration and insurance and you’ll be fine.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dcar1 View Post
    I live in Philly and have been riding choppers here for 10 years. I have never once gotten any of my bikes inspected. You’ll be fine without an inspection. Cops here have enough things going on, they’re not worried about whether or not your bike is inspected.

You might think I’m crazy but you’ll see that’s normal once you start meeting people here. Even on the wayyyy off chance you somehow got a cop who cared, it’s a $100 fine which is about the same price as the inspection itself. They wouldn’t take your bike or anything. Just make sure you have current registration and insurance and you’ll be fine.
    Live in PA too, same here. I never got a single bike inspected, chopper or not. It's pointless, and most cops don't even look or probably even know what the right number is for current inspection. Just make sure your reg/license/insurance is current and you wear a helmet, if you don't have your M endorsement.

Also...if your bike is 25 years or older, you can get an antique plate for it. It's like $100, you get a permanent registration and are inspection/emissions exempt. Did it to my '83 Ironhead. Don't believe the "can't ride it at night" rumor either, that's only if it doesn't have DOT head/tail lights on it.

Good info, when I eventually transfer the reg I'll get the antique plates, it's a 40 year old shovel. Thanks dudes

Get Adobe Flash player

+3 I live in Philly also and have never gotten a bike inspected. Even on cars 20+ years old, the "inspection" is just them taking a wheel off and looking at brake wear pretty much.

Share This