CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Shovelhead frame question: can I chop this?

Stripped the bike down to the frame and am planning to do all of my welding (solo seat hinge etc) and was wondering if this part of the frame can be chopped off and I could just weld a bung in place as a new tank mount so it sits a little lower on the frame. Donít plan on running fat bobs ever again so I donít really care about having it there and the frame has already had a hardtail welded on to the rear, just figure Iíd cut off any unnecessary bits before I paint.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16C32685-125B-4EFA-AF03-3BD46BD41AF3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	104740

Get Adobe Flash player

Chop away!

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Yep cut all you want............ That's how it's done.............

Get Adobe Flash player

When I cut mine out I welded a solid plug in the speedo cable hole. It reinforces the backbone and in my case gave me a great place to drill and tap for the front tank mount.

[ in the interest of full disclosure, I tacked the plug in place and had someone a heck of a lot better than me weld it in ]

Get Adobe Flash player

Awesome thanks for the replies!

In case you'd like to know, the hole going through from the side is where you would mount the top tabs on five gallon two piece gas tanks. The hole that comes in from above is where the speedometer backing plate attaches. If you wanted to return your bike to "dresser" status with five gallon gas tanks and the associated top-mounted speedometer, that's part of the mounting areas for them.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by EeeasyTiger View Post
    Stripped the bike down to the frame and am planning to do all of my welding (solo seat hinge etc) and was wondering if this part of the frame can be chopped off and I could just weld a bung in place as a new tank mount so it sits a little lower on the frame. Don’t plan on running fat bobs ever again so I don’t really care about having it there and the frame has already had a hardtail welded on to the rear, just figure I’d cut off any unnecessary bits before I paint.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16C32685-125B-4EFA-AF03-3BD46BD41AF3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	104740
    chop it no problem, i always remove them in a way that i can reweld them onto something else, i probably have 5 on the shelf right now

Share This