Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drivermark
    • May 2015

Where to get bearings for 85 rotary top 4 speed

I have an 85 softail that I need to rebuild the trans for, problem is I can't find anyplace that carries all the bearings for the beastie.
    I would like to use quality parts for this so I don't have to do it again (on this one anyway) so preferably US or European, no Cheapo Chinese stuff.
    I've already ordered the Jim's rebuild kit with all the gaskets and seals and what looks like the bushings, but no bearings.
    I popped the top on the trans and it didn't look good shavings, chunks, and what looked like little pieces of needle bearing, so everything's getting replaced.
    Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

... /// https://www2.vtwinmfg.com/classic_pr.../bearings.html \\\ ...
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• 10scDust
      • Jan 2018

Dragstews posted a good link for those bearings.

I just want to add from my professional background in machine repair, without getting too deep.
      Bearings are measured for size dimensions most generally in metric, millimeters.
      Usually there will be a bearing number along the outside edge to help identify the bearing.
      With that basic knowledge you can, at times, find a replacement bearing. Machinery parts supply stores like Grainger for one, there are others.

Another note: on sealed, or shielded bearings. Those shields, or seals can be removed without hurting the integrity of the bearing. Providing you use enough care not to gouge into the cage or whatnots.

And never use copper, brass, or aluminum hammers or drifts while installing bearings. The copper, brass, or aluminum will flake its pieces and get into the cavities of the bearing. A cold rolled drift will suffice.
      edit: or of course the use of an arbor press is good.
      Last edited by 10scDust; 07-30-2021, 5:08 AM.

Comment

• docmel
        • May 2015

Couldnt agree more on finding bearings at a local bearing supply store. I always buy them here locally. Take what you have and show it to them: And they are allot cheaper. I have found mainshaft bearings, idler bearings for autos, you name it. If you need a bearing, these type of stores will most likley have them

Comment

• drivermark
          • May 2015

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I was being lazy hoping someone would just have a kit with everything needed to get the job done.

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

Would be nice if you used this tool to install 4th gear bearing ...

Installs main bearing to the factory depth into the case bore ..
            Part Number 33428-78

Say, if ya can would love to see a photo of the inside of case where 4th gear runs ..

Most likely you'll be seeing a ware mark where 4th gear rides on the case wall .. That will add more end play to the gear, Harley changed the design (77-up) to lessen production and service costs in turn making the trans case into a "Bic Lighter" ...

You may also see a need for a new 4th gear "IF" the bearing surface has big time ware on it ..

The good news is the internal bushing will come already sized ...
            (We can hope that the mainshaft can still be serviceable where 4th gear bushing been riding, if it worn fairly bad ya might want to replace it too)

(Boy, I'm full of good news, ain't I ??)

Last edited by Dragstews; 07-30-2021, 1:10 PM.

Comment

• drivermark
              • May 2015

I'll be taking pictures (mainly to help put it back together) so I may get around to posting some. I haven't got it all torn down yet, waiting to get parts and a couple of tools in hand before I do. I have a feeling that a new shaft or some gears may also be needed before it's done.

While I'm at it I've been floating the idea of installing the low/2nd gear for an FL and then using a larger trans sprocket or smaller rear sprocket to lower the rpms while cruising at hiway speed.

Any thoughts, concerns, opinions or recommendations?

Comment

• drivermark
                • May 2015

Would be nice if you used this tool to install 4th gear bearing ...
                Installs main bearing to the factory depth into the case bore ..
                Part Number 33428-78

Anyone happen to have the dimensions for one of these? I have a hard time shelling out almost 90 bucks or more for something that looks like I could spin it up in about 10 min. on my lathe.
                I would just measure the offset while the bearing is still installed but I'm not so sure this thing hasn't been messed with by a PO so I couldn't say for sure if it would be correct.

Comment

• JBinNC
                  • Dec 2018

The outside (press side, letter side) of the bearing needs to be below flush with the case bushing it presses into. The tools set it .02 - .03 below flush. It is not a critical dimension.

I'm all for making your own press tools & other specialty tools. Having a lathe & mill will save you big bucks in the H-D specialty tool game.

As for your low gear ratio, I personally like the Andrews 2.60:1 first gear set. It's low enough to pull a long geared or heavy bike out of the hole, and tall enough to make the 1 - 2 upshift smooth (which the FLH gear is definitely not).

Jim

Comment

• drivermark
                    • May 2015

Thanks Jim,
                    Greatly appreciated, I wasn't even sure one would fit as it seems (from what I've read) that the rotary tops all seemed to go into FXs so I wasn't too sure about fitment.
                    Having some machine tools really does come in handy. I would never pass as a machinist but I do like try to make as many tools as I can for working on things.

Comment

• JBinNC
                      • Dec 2018

Cowpie transmissions came in 3 versions as near as I can tell, FL, early FX, and late FX (with revised first & second gear ratios). As far as I know, you can fit any gearset into any box, as long as the gearset matches the bearings that are used in the cowpies.

Jim

Comment

• drivermark
                        • May 2015

Thanks again Jim, for some reason I was under the impression that the FLs went straight from Ratchet tops to 5 speeds.
                        Just goes to show how much I don't know (but I'm learning)

This is the first HD trans I've ever been inside of. So I'm trying to edumacate myself as much as possible. I'm sure as I get into it I'll have a whole lotta questions.

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

Comment

• drivermark
                            • May 2015

Dragstews,

Thank you very much sir. I owe you one.

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010