CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Questions About Painting Gastanks

Good afternoon,

Iím looking to get into painting gas tanks, since I come from a painting background. Are there any resources on here that discuss painting chopper tanks? Specifically, I wanna do graphics like the one in the pic, but I donít know the medium or the process. I also wanna try my hand at pinstriping, so any info, recommendations, or resources are much appreciated.

Cheers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F6C2D3DE-EAC6-43CB-847E-5E5BD04CAA0A.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	104543

Get Adobe Flash player

From your photo I can't tell if that is airbrushed or if it is decoupage. Both techniques are covered extensively on youtube. Same with pinstriping, lots of videos out there. The number one thing is practice, lots and lots of practice. I use cheap metal for sale or beware of dog signs to practice on. A few coats of primer and you have a great surface to play with.

I used to pinstripe but my hands are not steady enough to pull a straight line or do consistent curves anymore so I have moved to taping and making my own stencils for airbrushing.

Good luck it is a lot of fun!

-DB

Get Adobe Flash player

That looks like an image transfer over accetlyne smoked base I started by buying cheap old jap bike gas tanks and helmets for a couple bucks and learned on those

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaChopNoob View Post
    Good afternoon,

I’m looking to get into painting gas tanks, since I come from a painting background. Are there any resources on here that discuss painting chopper tanks? Specifically, I wanna do graphics like the one in the pic, but I don’t know the medium or the process. I also wanna try my hand at pinstriping, so any info, recommendations, or resources are much appreciated.

Cheers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F6C2D3DE-EAC6-43CB-847E-5E5BD04CAA0A.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	104543
    No mention of WHAT type of painting background? As in "I hear you paint houses?"
    (Movie reference)
    Woodworking? Lacquers, Acrylics?, Synthetic enamels?, Catalyzed enamels?, Modern Polys and base coat-Clear coat?
    what is your metal working experience? Familiar with modern prep. metal etching, catalyzed primers and surfacers?

Without any context, hard to tell you much. I started in the 1970s and learned most systems and product lines here in the US and when I was living outside the US learned a few things other countries do. I also worked in Aerospace and currently licensed, so MilSpec and FAA approved finishes in general.

I dont do commercial paint and just a side hustle and for fun these days as well as painting my own projects, although at one time ran a shop and paint, fab and body work was a big part of the business.
    Looking to start doing some side jobs in the fall as few affordable options out there, so its a good business to be in.

I do a mix of restoration work as well as customs, too many variables to cover here, But I like the custom stuff is the most fun. Im a big fan of House of Kolor, and their Kandys. (Started by Paint guru Jon Kosmoski, so everything is spelled with a K)

I do flames, scallops, ghosting, pearls, candys, Some pinstriping but mostly masked off lines, Some of the British Restoration work is pretty anal, but I have done some high end restos and thats a special market in itself.
    Then there is the show bike world and concours and replicating originality... I dont do much of that anymore because truly authentic restos need materials no long on the market.

Most stuff I do now is base coat-clear coat, a few single stage Polys and Enamels.

The image above was popular in the 60s and 70s, And I *Think* it IS called Decoupage, I have a late 1970s paint and bodywork Peterson Publications book on Paint and body work and they have a chapter on it. I did a few, Heres basically how its done which is laughable by todays standards.

You find a cool picture in a magazine or book you like, That one is a popular style/artist and similar adorned vans and cars, bikes etc. Truly talented would just airbrush it on, But if you cant afford that or those skills, then this was you second choice. You cut out and trim the picture. Spray coats of clear on it, building it up. (Back then was likely Catalyzed Enamel or Lacquer). You start with piss coats so it does not melt the inks-graphics. Built it up to a thick coating. Cure. Then soak it in water and peel off the paper. *Yes,, peel it off!. Then coat the backside with White generally but could be other colors. Let cure again. Then apply it into wet clear or glue it on, clear coat some more in repeated coats till its buried. Sand it to get one surface, then clear coat again. Wetsand and polish.

A LOT had changed since then. My old book has some other funky ideas on custom paint, Using a doily or lace over a base coat and lay another color on top then remove the lace. Some AirBrush tricks as well.

Books like that are super cheap on ebay or swap meets. Most of it is outdated but fun to see how things were done back in the day.

Share This