CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Clutch/Throwout Bearing Release Finger.

Quick question. No amount of searching is giving me the definitive answer.

Which is the proper release finger for the Early style cone throwout bearing?

My kicker gears (baker) and throwout bearing decided to fuck off a couple of weeks ago so I'm replacing everything. (well baker is replacing the gears) Putting in a new kicker shaft as I think the gears may have been a little too far inboard, and want to make sure I have everything else set up right.

Need to double check I have the correct part. So, for the Cone Style TO bearing do I need....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finger3.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	104442

OR

Name:	finger1.jpg 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	104443

Both are listed as 37070-39B. I'm guessing that "B" is not used for the one I need, but everywhere seems to have both styles listed under that number.

Thanks!

Get Adobe Flash player

When you have an HD part number with a letter suffix, that means it will retrofit to the original application. In the case of a "B" that would be the third design, but still good to replace a -39 or a -39A part, in this instance. There may be a few exceptions, but this is the general rule. If the five digit part number is the same, but the suffix two digit date is changed, that part will not retrofit to the earlier application. There are a number of exceptions to this rule, and experience is the only guide in those cases.

Long way of saying, you should be fine with either part, but the second one pictured appears to be the earlier piece.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks, That's why I asked. I knew about the numbering conventions, but I've also heard people say to get the earlier style finger if you're running the cone style. The second pic is similar to the one I have. It was being run with a wafer style bearing when I got the trans originally and it fully bent (concaved) the bearing. It would make sense that the other style would be correct for that application. Figure it's better to ask in these situations. Thanks for the help!

Someone might have substituted a plain type flat washer for your wafer bearing's hardened washer, thus the concave shape. Both throwout fingers have similar contact point area, so either should work.

Bill

Get Adobe Flash player

If you run the cone style release bearing with the later fingers you need to look closely at the marked areas. This is a Baker release finger and these areas need to be relieved and clearance checked - otherwise they will try and relieve themselves as the mainshaft rotates resulting in metal debris in the trans.

Also - if you try and run the early fingers with the late wafer release bearing the center opening is smaller and can interfere with the snap ring on the later clutch rod - knocks it off and you end up with it in the tranny - bad thing when it tries to go between gear teeth.

Small details that can cause you some grief down the road if not looked at..

I've performed a few of these conversions and clearance checks are always needed.

Name:	Inked2020-06-23 14.12.26_LI.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	303.2 KB 
ID:	104454

Name:	Inked2020-06-23 14.12.16_LI.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	287.7 KB 
ID:	104455

Good points. I haven't used the cone throwout bearing in years, but that's good to know. I thought that the ears on the clip were just a bad thing to have there, so I used one without the ears to get in the way of things.
    I've been using a hydraulic end cover on my six speed tranny for the last 20 years, so I've got fewer issues with it.

Bill
    Last edited by Wiseman; 06-23-2020 at 4:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by gorgeous View Post
    Quick question.

Which is the proper release finger for the Early style cone throwout bearing?

Name:	finger3.jpg 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	104442
    This one ^^

For the witch hat bearing ...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 06-23-2020 at 5:35 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Speaking of fingers, is either of those or anything else an upgrade over the similar early five speed release fingers that I've seen break?

37084-79 is the part number in my early FXR book. I don't have the actual parts to fondle but work on other people's early FXRs now and then.

Get Adobe Flash player

That was a very weak design from the get-go ...
    If you added a performance clutch with high spring rate, all kinds of problems stick their ugly heads up ...

The best deal to do on the early FXR's is to convert over to the later cable end cover that uses the ball & ramp ....

Get Adobe Flash player

Better yet get rid of the transmission and upgrade to a splined shaft unit.

BTW Solenberg aren't doing the Delkron inner FXR primaries but they did make a run of trans cases and they're NICE. I bought one for reserve since the aftermarket for Evo parts is gradually fading like the Shovel aftermarket which used to be much bigger.

Get Adobe Flash player

Seen that another manufacture has recently started making the FXR inners ....

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    Seen that another manufacture has recently started making the FXR inners ....
    V-Twin do but the Delkrons are beasts. Is the other one (if not V-Twin) just a stock replacement?

FXRs like to crack stock inner primary covers. I'm still waiting on Solenberg (Delkron) to finish their run so I can buy a couple. I have two on my FXRs and have no desire for a stock-strength cover on a personal bike.

Get Adobe Flash player

From the photo they had up it looked beefy to me ....

When I get some time I'll see if I can find it again ...

Get Adobe Flash player

Drag Specialties has good photos of it. The V-Twin pics of what's highly likely to be the same casting aren't as good. Hard to tell cross section thickness without measuring though.

Share This