CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Harley Davidson kicked from the S&P 500

Harley-Davidson Inc. has been removed from the Dow Jones S&P 500 list, a key benchmark for U.S. stocks, but analysts say investors are more concerned about Harley's share price and company performance.

The changes will be effective prior to the opening of trading June 22.

In 2019, Harley-Davidson saw its motorcycle sales in the U.S. drop for a fifth straight year and its global bike shipments at the lowest level in a decade.

For its first fiscal quarter of this year, Harley reported lower sales and earnings and said it was launching a new strategic plan and conserving cash as motorcycle sales fell worldwide due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The company also slashed its dividend to 2 cents a share from 38 cents and said it was in talks with major U.S. banks to secure $1.3 billion in liquidity.

Harley has launched a set of actions that will eventually lead to a new strategic plan for the company. It refers to the plan as The Rewire. Among the goals is to "...reset the company's operating model in order to reduce complexity, sharpen focus and increase the speed of decision making."

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money...00/3194719001/

Get Adobe Flash player

I sold my Harley stock a couple of years ago. Nott hat I don't love the product, but every time I would go to the dealer it was mostly old guys like me in there and let's be honest we are not a sustainable revenue stream long term!

Until they can figure out how to entice the 20 somethings to buy they will continue to slide.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah, my 20 something nephew is considering either an 883 iron or 1200 Sportster, but it ain't affordable compared to some brands. Oddly, the 'Street' hasn't cut it with any of the kids here in the UK. I still wonder at them loosing the Dyna ,but I reckon the Sporty is the next to get 'rationalised'.

Get Adobe Flash player

A reorg under someone competent can work and the Bloor revival of Triumph is proof. HD could shut down tomorrow and the aftermarket (which is what makes them worth owning) will not only provide but benefit. HD sells plenty of motorcycles but is over-extended.

Real bikers will ride. Fuck the factory. Bonus for young bikers is the same boomer dieoff saturating the market means they'll have plenty of used HDs as long as they want them. The good old days of chopping were when HDs were cheap, and corrected for inflation many still are.
    Last edited by farmall; 06-16-2020 at 12:37 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    A reorg under someone competent can work and the Bloor revival of Triumph is proof. HD could shut down tomorrow and the aftermarket (which is what makes them worth owning) will not only provide but benefit. HD sells plenty of motorcycles but is over-extended.

Real bikers will ride. Fuck the factory. Bonus for young bikers is the same boomer dieoff saturating the market means they'll have plenty of used HDs as long as they want them. The good old days of chopping were when HDs were cheap, and corrected for inflation many still are.
    You know, you're not wrong. There is a good amount of nice bikes, some low mileage garage queens, that are chobber worthy.

This point has been beat to death but a lot of the aftermarket crap is just that; crap! I hope this might mean a resurgence in backyard fabrication and more one-off stuff.

Personally, I'm so sick and tired of seeing Dynas with quarter fairings and tall tee bars. Red trim too.

Get Adobe Flash player

If the brand died tomorrow how much would it really affect us?

Me personally new bike owners amount to zero in my customer base I rarely paint anything less than 10 years old at least

My newest bike is an 04 inherited from my pops and that's as close as I'll ever come to a new one mainly because of style preference but also because of price

Doombuggy was right unless they can get a younger generation into their brand it's ultimately going to continue to fail. I would think a real street level approach to finding out what people want and a real streamlining of the company (without relying on cheap foreign parts) would be a good start. A reinvention of the image associated with Harley's would probably be in order apparently today's youth just aren't into the shit the rest of us are.

datadavid

I would rather buy a million old triumphs before even considering buying a harley of any kind

Get Adobe Flash player

Let them go under. It'll allow the rest of the motorcycle market to thrive not having to constantly be shadowed by the bloated competition of decades-old perceptions. The good Harleys have been gone for years. Let's face it, the product offered in these days is hardly even worth comparing.
    It's not like the name will ever go away. Just look at Indian...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyknowsimashithead View Post
    If the brand died tomorrow how much would it really affect us?
    Yea, you may be right. But what if? What if they HD came out with something revolutionary that had mass appeal and longevity. I hear you on not touching a bike that's <10 but that new bike in 11 years could turn out to be the best base model to build a new chop from. Who knows?

I'm new enough to the HD world to say I don't know enough about HD but I do know about building brand, community, and loyalty. They've done well with this but not nearly as well if they'd just had a bit more hindsight to see the huge market potential of fostering custom builders - not the bolt-on folks - that's pretty well sewn up - but guys like me that have some skills and desire but aren't sure where to start or where to go to get reliable answers. Sorry but even forums like this often have competing opinions on what part or technique is best.

Youth have a 10s attention span. That being said, when my stepson bought his first bike a month ago, the project I'd put on hold 20+ years ago at the request of his mum was freed - she'd asked me not to build it for fear her sons would want to ride. Non-issue since he came to the decision on his own. Now we have a common connection. We're not experts but we are passionate. Wrenching on his bike and planning mine, we share a common bond. That's what HD did right even without knowing it or how to harness it. The brand became an icon that forged so many friendships and brotherhoods. It'd be a shame, IMHO for the brand to slip away because of a lack of vision and mismanagement.
    Last edited by lorax; 07-04-2020 at 3:40 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

What they need is to put someone in the CEO's office who knows something about motorcycles, and Harleys specifically. Bringing in corporate suits from battery factories or some computer tech nerd from silicon valley, or wherever they get their suits from isn't cutting it!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by mpz View Post
    What they need is to put someone in the CEO's office who knows something about motorcycles, and Harleys specifically. Bringing in corporate suits from battery factories or some computer tech nerd from silicon valley, or wherever they get their suits from isn't cutting it!
    But what about the "lifestyle"? Those guys totally get that, at least.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by datadavid View Post
    I would rather buy a million old triumphs before even considering buying a harley of any kind
    They certainly don't come with the big price tag that's for sure.

Share This