Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DustyDave
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

"I'm gonna figure out a consistent way to get a cast-looking finish on all the permanent mold parts."
    Steel shot in a serious industrial blaster is the old standard. A company that repaints water towers used to do it for me. Then river sand then glass beads in a cabinet.
    Dusty
    Driving that train, high on cocaine
    Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
    Trouble ahead, trouble behind
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

Just throwing some ideas on the table ...

Originally posted by farmall

Pic shows approximate layout I'm considering but not with that Brit front end.
      These forks are straight out of the past ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	27_d369d50d-f983-4f0d-8753-fcc9760e2b8e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	1321369

Name:	Screenshot 2021-12-12 124705.jpg
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1321370

Love the looks of the narrowed forks with the top sliders installed ...

But dang, the re-pops command huge $$'s .. !!
      (And finding a used set that was made back in the day would be like running up on a DoDo bird)

Anyway, just an idea !!
      Last edited by Dragstews; 12-12-2021, 4:44 PM.
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Both those oil bag options look good and I've two machines needing oil bags with batteries... I'll have to wait to choose though.

The cylindrical tank having room (and better external airflow) for a large battery looks interesting but so does the kit which I could use with NPT bungs (me no like hard lines and may run an oil cooler, I've not chosen a filter yet and probably won't until it's mocked up in my living room.

The '73 Ironhead I'm redoing cosmetics on might benefit from either one. How much for the cylindrical tank and can they be had unplated? I have high temp coating lust. I love stainless and aluminum but really dislike chrome.

Forks will probably be 39mm HD since smoothing the alloy trees is easy and I've a lathe and mill to aid in mounting whatever brake I choose. The top triple clamp off rubbermount Sporties doesn't use bushings so I would use that cleaner style. I can coat the parts with Cerakote via my gunsmithbro or me since they fit my oven if I'm not feeling alloy. (Everyone should snag a cheap electric oven for parts cookin', I put mine on a castered base.) I may do upper fork shrouds.

I have Norton Commando and alloy slider Triumph forks to spare but the Commando forks are loose even for the flyweight Norton and I don't care for the Triumph design except on a Triumph.. If I did a front drum I'd use a pretty Commando front with stiffening kit but they still suck so I'm toying with British-contour smooth stainless rims on an HD front single disc hub and undecided rear hub. I don't like the HD sprocket/drum setup nor the shouldered HD rim style so the jury is out until I mock up different options, perhaps including the Suzuki cush drive mechanical brake hub popular on AHRMA bikes (because it gives ample sprocket choice while having a cush drive). Drilled discs look overly modern so I'll hunt plain if I run them.

What seat and post is on that Turbo 48 above?

Lot of badass stuff in this thread. I got lost.

How much of this is yours, Farmall? You getting a whole bike done?

Chassis, engine, trans and the whole bit?
        Drag is building the engine since I can't come close to matching his Pan skills/encyclopedic knowledge and I have the sense to outsource what is best outsourced. I'm ordering many parts through him since he's good to deal with and one-stop shopping is so convenient. I'll drive down to pick up the engine, frame, etc when the pile is large enough since gas is cheaper than shipping and it will be fun to see the wizard's cave. I'll mockup and finish at my place since the rest is pretty basic.

I could afford to commission a bike but that's like paying someone else to fuck my old lady so in this case I'll just outsource a blowie (the engine) and tap the other proverbial mechanical orifices myself in a pragmatic mechanical compromise! If you don't picture two old people spitroasting an innocent Panhead that may (I don't judge) be better for your mental health.

That's bout right ...
        Speaking of Horror Fright tools I found a good use for their air chisel and would do it with a larger one. I cut off an old air chisel, welded a hunk of pipe onto it then beat some brass round bar into the pipe for a vibrating beater bar which worked surprisingly well vs. harder blows with a heavy hammer, and only requires one hand leaving the other free.
        Last edited by farmall; 12-12-2021, 8:05 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

What seat and post is on that Turbo 48 above?

Leather SOLO SEAT
          Replica of OEM Thin style as used on Harley WR & KR Race Bikes
          Steel Seat Pan for T-Bar, K Mount or Direct Spring Mounting
          16" Long x 14" Wide
          1-3/8" Thick
          2 Rear Spring Mount holes are threaded 5/16NF (6-5/8" Apart)
          BROWN Genuine Leather with Cobbler Edge

Very comfortable seat, even for my fat ass ...
          I modified a T-Bar for using the springs ..

Your frame has the bushing installed and sized for a Oem spring seat post, be Plug & Play with the WR-KR seat ....

How much for the cylindrical tank and can they be had unplated?

They can be ordered raw ...
          Not at the shop but if my memory serves me, bout $250 ??
          Last edited by Dragstews; 12-12-2021, 9:46 PM.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Please inquire re: the raw version, and if they can send clear color pics those could go in this thread (potential sales for them) for a highly detailed view by other potential customers. If it's about 250 pull the trigger as that's fair for a quality tank.

Got any seatposts and is it significantly preferable to hunt an original assembly? I've zero seat post style seat hardware.

I like that style seat but with thicker padding and now dat I'm thinking about it may have a large gel pack upholstered into one for a built in sciatica cushion.

I've got arthritis, sciatica and old white guy ass (none) so best to build for da future...

My rocker covers have some dings so I'll need stainless covers.

Are the steel D-rings equal or superior to cast alloy? Are stainless D-rings available? I'll also need a stainless acorn nut hardware kit.

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Are you familiar with one of these critters .. ??

Seen a few fitted to Harleys ....

Think it was "CMC" that made some that was a spin off of the Triumph units ...

SKWOOSH Sheepskin Motorcycle Seat Cover Pad Natural Plush Genuine Wool for Temperature Control Summer and Winter and Cushioning for Comfort ..

(There's always another way to skin a ... Sheep .. !!)
              Last edited by Dragstews; 12-13-2021, 3:09 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

More shi ... errrrr ... stuff !!

Compiling a order for parts and thought I would mention the parts needed for changing from belt drive to chain drive ..

5th gear made by Andrews ^^

Sprocket tooth count available from 22T to 25T your pick ..

I have the Jim's tooling to R&R the gear ..

Name:	235756588_376316313873317_2837778138080815747_n (1).jpg
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	1321381

If needed, say the word and I'll make it so ...

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
                  • Oct 2016

Farmall I have a Paugcho cylindrical oil tank of the same variety in raw collecting dust, don’t believe it’s ever been mounted if your interested.
                  Last edited by ExplodingCoffinEmporium; 12-13-2021, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

Think that is made by Kraft Tech ^^

If you do like that tank above I can sell it to you at the same price as the eBay ad states, plus I'll pick up the shipping cost ...
                    __________________________________________________ _

Originally posted by ExplodingCoffinEmporium
                    Farmall I have a Paugcho cylindrical oil tank of the same variety.
                    The Paugcho tank would require more work to install cause the front mount is made for a Softail frame ...

Kraft Tech tank front mount is Plug & Play on your frame ..
                    Last edited by Dragstews; 12-14-2021, 5:53 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

Call me "Curiosity" ...

Wanted to see how well the tank would look and mount up ... Sooooooo

Got one on the way to me ..
                      You're not obligated to take it, if not wanted I will hang it from a nail till I find a use for it ....

About the seat, if your after a super comfy ride you may not get it with the WR/KR seat ..
                      Granted, it look killer on a scoot but under your ass where it counts the most may fall short ..

Here be the comfy ... ^^

... LePera ...

Spring Mounted seats are the true classic custom.
                      Created in the early 1900's, these seats have yet to go out of style.

15" long x 13" wide.

Lots of options for this seat, including "Biker Gel"

Custom Harley Seats - For over 40 years LePera has been a world renowned trendsetter of custom motorcycle seats and exotic motorcycle seats for Harley Davidson motorcycles. Check out our entire online catalog featuring custom seats and exotic seats for Harleys.

Choose your Poison .. Form Vs Function

... /// https://youtu.be/1OMdKpt2aPg \\\ ...
                      Last edited by Dragstews; 12-15-2021, 8:58 AM.

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

Looking forward to seeing "sample tank" on the frame and will highly likely go for it so you basically saved some time.

I'll pass on the conversion gear since Vulcanworks makes a splined version that fits stock gears

thus fits Baker if for some (unlikely) reason I get Bakerlust in future. Active and vets take note Baker has a military discount.

Those Triumph sprung hubs look kool (on British bikes) but they add slop and limit sprocket options. I used to have one and should have hung onto it as they're $$$ today being desired by early Turnip owners. Meriden did odd shit sometimes.

Large OD allthread, big ass washers and PVC make a dandy gear pressing tool. I used that combo installing da Baker on my FXR.

Farmall I have a Paugcho cylindrical oil tank of the same variety in raw collecting dust, don’t believe it’s ever been mounted if your interested.
                        Thanks for the offer. I'll eyeball the other tank on my Ironhead and if it looks right I'll get with ya. PM me what ya want for it shipped to 29150. No rush. I'd be modding it anyway so it having Softy mounts wouldn't be an issue.

Might as well quote a spring post assembly and T-bar etc. I can wait on the actual seat.
                        Last edited by farmall; 12-15-2021, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• Oct 2016

Originally posted by farmall

Thanks for the offer. I'll eyeball the other tank on my Ironhead and if it looks right I'll get with ya. PM me what ya want for it shipped to 29150. No rush. I'd be modding it anyway so it having Softy mounts wouldn't be an issue.
                          I’m off this weekend so I’ll pull her out and send some pics, gotta imagine I can flat rate it for around $25 or so, whatever ya thinks fair honestly. I’ll send some pics after I pull her out to make sure it’s what your looking for.

Comment

• Oct 2016

Name:	97A0E459-4751-479B-AF36-EAA442E6AE3A.jpg
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	1321398Click image for larger version

Name:	7D2BD11E-74C9-4236-AC5F-585B32D7D3AD.jpg
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	1321399

Name:	BE01E4D6-209C-40E7-BC2B-A7E8DECC259C.jpg
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	1321400

Name:	4377887E-64EC-4AEC-9A78-C6D771BD6323.jpg
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1321401

Don’t believe it’s ever been ran, snagged it in a parts grab and it’s sat around in a light primer dust coat since.

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

Cool Beans ...
                              Looks to be the same tank that I have coming, but for mine is a side fill ...

Trans plate got here ...

Does look to be well made ..

Lets see how well it fits .... Want too ??

Nice ... Gotta love it when things fall into place ..
                              Last edited by Dragstews; 12-17-2021, 4:33 PM.

Comment

• farmall
                                • Apr 2013

Excellent, and being zinc'ed I can blast then coat it if I wish.

I've an alloy trap door left over which will replace the peeling plated part when I skin out that box to give it a pseudo-cast finish.

Is that shift arm alloy or steel? If alloy I'll replace with steel (stronger splines and da pinch clamp area doesn't stretch) then slather in red Loctite (which is intended to remove slack in splined joints) when I go through it. I used stronger steel Dyna arms on my FXR and drilled that one closer to the pivot for a longer throw for a given shifter movement.

No alloy arms shall defile my gearboxes because they require an inner primary R&I when they strip splines or crack at the bottom eye.

Short shifter linkage is two Heim joints one male and one female replacing the stock "chromed riding mower parts". I'll shave the top off on the Pan but left it on the FXR to not bust the plating. I'll probably Cerakote the arm for the Pan so plating damage won't matter.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by farmall; 12-17-2021, 5:11 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;