Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

... /// https://youtu.be/m2qUfEryiNk \\\ ...
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by flatman
      Informative and willing to share as always, thank you
      Being informative and willing to share is good for business and the reason my money flows his way.

Dragstews is shrewder than the average bear (mere survival in the independent bike shop world requires a staggering effort over a very long time doing tons of boring annoying details that aren't fun or cool) so he wisely showcases his work in complete detail. He knows his expertise and connections take so much to replicate (and another lifetime to do that) that showing how it's done in detail will not cost him any revenue and will bring in more loot for beer, hookers, Buells etc.

It's free, highly in-depth advertising for specialty services that also gives Chop Cult content which attracts page hits which attract advertisers. The ancient term "crazy like a fox" comes to mind.

Showing your work process is the perfect counter to shit many independents do like hoarding information, and posting progress is likewise superior promotion than adverts because "progress is proof". As he wisely outsources appropriate tasks so others wisely outsource to him.

Building an HD isn't hard but knowing the detailed specifics and WHY specific mods are the optimal combination to get your desired result is what gets shit done in a reasonable time frame. Unlike some shops he also moves reasonably quickly (the sooner ya turn out da work the sooner ya get paid) rather than letting shit rot on the bench. Investing in the right equipment and locating among wealthy retirees with money for high end exotic projects was sensible too (and pays for playing with stuff while building even more experience).

The business aspects of bikery are interesting stuff. It's demanding and the actual profit per real hours work modest, but like being a stunt cock in a whorehouse has its own rewards.
      Last edited by farmall; 11-06-2021, 6:28 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
        • Sep 2010

What happen to the Hookers ... ??

Last edited by Dragstews; 11-06-2021, 5:43 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Finally got the cam chest all buttoned up ...
          Last edited by Dragstews; 11-06-2021, 4:42 PM.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Dragstews
            What happen to the Hookers ... ??
            Depends on their vintage. The classics are REALLY hard to restore and donors get surprisingly angry (tho not for long) when you part them out. Unlike Harleys decorating your man cave with spares is frowned on.

Best to rent (never buy anything even more high maintenance than a vintage motorbike) something new and Japanese.

Never go whoring hungry and never marry what you can pimp.

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Bad Girls ....

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

Now to move forward ....

All the needed parts for the oil pump was in this order ...
                Jump too time is at hand ...

Love this tool ... There will be no need to yell out "Jesus" to give him a heads up to duck .. !!

Pump is now locked, crocked and ready to rock ...

Worked breather case window a bit ..

Didn't mess with the open and closing timing just yet ..
                Will be hooking up a degree wheel to see where the numbers are at ...
                Last edited by Dragstews; 11-09-2021, 4:40 PM.

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Excellent!

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

... ...

Back to the shiny ass 52 motor ...

Moving on up to the top-end ...
                    Rings are on their way west along with mine and farmall's ..
                    Heads are next to get done ... Got a bunch of hi-end goodies for em ...

Did a bit of whooping on em a few months back, but didn't have all the needed parts to finish at the time ...

Now that the parts are in hand, will jump back into the doings ....
                    The Lieneweber J4 cam will make for a wee bit more work to setup due to the Shovel intake valves being used in the Panhead combustion chambers ... Not as much room as the Shovel chambers has ..

Got on order some super nice goodies that will enhance this superb valve train ....
                    Ya'll going to love seeing this, tis slick as a Minnow's peter !!

... /// https://youtu.be/VFEZOjtrwls \\\ ...

.. (Keeping it real and out of the pokey) ..

BTY ... The flat picker you see in the above video just gave away two hundred guitars to a school that he went to as a kid ...
                    How COOL was dat .. !!

... /// https://youtu.be/N4Z9ReOwZWw \\\ ...
                    Last edited by Dragstews; 11-11-2021, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

More goodies for the 52 ...

Just playing around here .. ^^

No idea what primary drive will be used ...
                      That will be the owner's choice ...

Think tonight I'll dawn my kilt and throw down a few ..

Who knows, might be in the running for first prize .. !!

... /// https://youtu.be/MZ35SOU9HTM \\\ ...
                      Last edited by Dragstews; 11-21-2021, 4:35 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                        • Sep 2010

Checks are going down ....

Mods are going down ...

Yeah Baby, yeah ....

Last edited by Dragstews; 11-15-2021, 6:50 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

This Mag outta get the spark to it ...

The heads will need a bunch of work ..
                          Springs are hitting the valve covers, seats are sunk as deep as the Andrea Doria ...
                          The costs that would go into these 70 year old heads would be better spent for a set of re-pops ....

Going to pull the trigger for a set ... Maybe two sets .. ??
                          Last edited by Dragstews; 11-18-2021, 5:08 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                            • Sep 2010

I was wondering when a problem would stick it's ugly head up ...
                            Was going together super smooth and then this came up ...

The Mag would not sit down on the case ...
                            OK ... Let's do some checks to find out why there's a problem where there shouldn't had been one ... ??

First thing that came to my mind is the used Mag has a reverse gear ...

Well, that wasn't it ..
                            The gear on top is a reverse gear ...
                            The Mag has the std rotation gear for 69 and back Generator motors ...

Now my thoughts went to the gears themselves .... What if they wasn't made to specs ??
                            Hard look at the gear on the Mag shows very little ware (It's been in use some) ... The C.B. gear is brand new from VT ...

Called the Boys at Morris Mag asking if I could get a gear that was lapped a bit undersize ...
                            Wasn't wanting to go back into the camchest since it was locked & loaded ...
                            They said it would be more of a chore to mess with the Mag gear than mess with the C.B. gear since they weld their gears onto the shaft ...

It didn't take much talking to talk me out of doing anything to the Mag gear ...
                            Soooooooooo

Time to have a look-see at the C.B. gear ... AND ... This is what I found ... !!

Pulled out the brand new Lighting C.B. gear that came from VT and installed a used Oem gear that I had in stock ..
                            It slid right in and had just a bit of back-lash ... Gotta love that ...

No way the VT gear was going to go in .... It was just too dang fat ...

Called VT and told em what I have going on ...
                            They said they would check into it and get back to me next week ...

It's looking like I will be using the Oem gear to cure this delima ... That entails cutting down the gear for cam lobe swing and setting the end-play up to specs ...

Seems to me I just did that work on this motor not long ago ...

Comment

• farmall
                              • Apr 2013

Going to pull the trigger for a set ... Maybe two sets .. ??
                              Second set confirmed. What do you do on those as a "receiving inspection" to ensure they're to your standards before installation?

Purty stainless contact breaker I bought from you is en-route with a Dyna ignition. (Cup needs ordering as my spare is buried...somewhere...) I knew I'd put that breaker to use one day.

Do ya do anything re: generator drive gear backlash? If so I'll need to order da generator and regulator through you. I've used Cycle Electric forever with no problems but I'm weird and actually use the inspection band to monitor my brushes instead of waiting for failure. NBD since I'm out of spare generators anyway.

Comment

• Dragstews
                                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by farmall
                                Second set confirmed. What do you do on those as a "receiving inspection" to ensure they're to your standards before installation?

Depends on the cam choice ... These heads comes loaded with valves and springs and set to a max lift of .425" ...

I most often change out the valves and springs that can handle lifts up to .600" and much better quality material ...

Purty stainless contact breaker I bought from you is en-route with a Dyna ignition. (Cup needs ordering as my spare is buried...somewhere...) I knew I'd put that breaker to use one day.

Gold Cup is on order ...

Do ya do anything re: generator drive gear backlash? If so I'll need to order da generator and regulator through you. I've used Cycle Electric forever with no problems but I'm weird and actually use the inspection band to monitor my brushes instead of waiting for failure. NBD since I'm out of spare generators anyway.
                                Yes ... The gear lash will be checked ...

And if the need is there, will set it to spec ...

Very hard to beat Cyc-Ele stuff ...
                                Shoot ... Every 60,000 miles or so throw in a new set of brushes and set the clock back to 0 ...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;