Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

That is nice indeed!

Thanks for the settings info. I like that oscillating tool too. Imma have to get one since it's so small.

That Binder hood ornament deserves its own thread for the metal repair or drop the picks here since those repairs can save big money. I'm looking forward to seeing da wizard's workshop when I drive down to get the engine.

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

... ? Wizard Huh ? ...

BTW ....
      Parts are beginning to show up ..

Got a zinc plated dist. hold-down clamp that fits .. (Pretty much a first, cause all the others that I acquired over the years needed to be hand fitted)
      S&S order came in ... On that order I also got you a new O-ring for your Super-B carb ...

With these clamps you will be in need of a carb support ..
      S&S makes a nice one that mounts off the center motor case stud ..

It's adjustable ..

Gasbox also makes one that mount off the motor case ..

Non adjustable ..

Also W&W has a Stainless Steel support that is really nice too .. It bolts to the top frame motor mount ...

Using one of the W&W's on my Super-B ..

It don't come this shinny ... I hit it a lick on the buffer ..

Valve train parts from KPMI are in shipment, might see them tomorrow ??
      Last edited by Dragstews; 05-21-2022, 7:04 PM.
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• DoomBuggy
        • Oct 2016

Just wow! Looks like new.

Farmall, do you have the frame & tins mocked up yet? Interested in where you are going with the build.

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by DoomBuggy

Farmall, do you have the frame & tins mocked up yet?
          I can answer that ...

Frame, oil tank and trans are a few miles from farmall's greasy hands ..

Click image for larger version

Name:	267598738_380586490485896_6751199107196455477_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1322451

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

I've many more parts to get so that's a good way to keep 'em organized and ensure fitment.

I need 3.5 gallon repop split tanks (I treat sheet metal as a consumable and this un is for riding...) and a bunch of other stuff so they may was well come via Drag. Ya can't keep businesses healthy just by cherrypicking minimal orders.

Split tank buyers should note repop tank makers do some Strange Shit so checking new tanks on the frame on arrival is wise. Never bend tank tabs or "load" them under tension because they have so much leverage over their little bitty welds. A few minutes to mock 'em up then look from all angles pays off before painting or coating. (I got lazy and skipped that once before powder, fortunately with no witnesses to the noises I made after offering them up to my Shovel then finding out I'd have to bash the inboard side because spacing would look like ass (and not good ass).

Who makes repop 3.5s that look right? No need for the shift gate mount bungs, or for the stock fuel shutoff as I prefer Pingel.

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by farmall
              Who makes repop 3.5s that look right? No need for the shift gate mount bungs, or for the stock fuel shutoff as I prefer Pingel.
              Permit me to offer up a suggestion ...

Since the scooter is going to be a Chop, not much need for trotting the line of Oem parts ..

For under 3 C-notes these remakes of the WLR's (From Harley's Racing Heritage) would be a great choice .. IMO

Tourist Trophy (Aka; TT or Tavern to Tavern)
              Gas tank set with brackets is 2.8 gallons without the dash cutout featuring a raw metal finish constructed of steel.
              For use with bayonet type gas caps.
              Top is smooth type without dash base cutout. Use for either 2 side of gas or 1 side oil on the right. The right side has two front 3/8" NPT and one 1/8" NPT male fittings for use as an oil tank. The left side accepts metric nut type petcocks (75-up).
              Order hardware separately, fittings and plugs not included. *NOTE: The rear mount bar has 5/16" x 24 threads which mounts to the seat "T" tab on the frame. *NOTE: Rear connector bar may have to be spaced out or shortened for proper fitting of tanks on frame. Rear tank mount bracket may be modified if builder would like the rear of the tank to sit lower.

These ^^ are from VT ... Can be had without the tank mounts welded on for DIY ..

Also made by .... Lowbrow Customs .. More $$
              ... /// https://youtu.be/r5Cmx0Iy4Y8 \\\ ...
              ... /// https://youtu.be/tz5m2fCvDeA \\\ ...

And W&W has re-popped them (Cannonball) .. Way more $$, over a grand ..

Click image for larger version

Name:	196530849_120414370166915_3890510316533055548_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	1322452

Those ^^ be the W&W Cannonballs' ..

For a Speedo a GPS would work really well ..

Just a thought ...

... /// https://youtu.be/h0tNw4jNp28 \\\ ...
              Last edited by Dragstews; 05-22-2022, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• rockman96
                • May 2018

Strange Shit so checking new tanks on the frame on arrival is wise. Never bend tank tabs or "load" them under tension because they have so much leverage over their little bitty welds. A few minutes to mock 'em up then look from all angles pays off before painting or coating.
                I would DEFINITELY recommend this, and to take it a step further I would add additional welding to the mounts. I bought a set of CCI 5 gal splits back in the early 90's, and I did a little extra welding to the mounts... But not enough. A 96" stroker shovel is not polite to a bike's infrastructure, and within a couple years I developed hairline cracks around the front left mount. I went for a long ride one afternoon, and came home reeking of gasoline. It didn't leak while sitting, but add the dynamics of riding and it would wick out. It sucks when you have a nice ghost-flamed tank in cobalt blue that you have to weld on.
                Last edited by rockman96; 05-21-2022, 7:50 PM.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                  • Oct 2016

I'll add to be sure, at least on a Panhead, to check the clearance between the tanks and the rear rocker cover. I tested everything without a motor in there, and ended up with two washers on the rear mount to make sure there was enough space to pass a piece of cardboard between the bottom of the tank and the rear rocker cover.
                  Last edited by DoomBuggy; 05-22-2022, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

Those tanks are lovely but even 3.5s are on the small side for my preference. Very sleek lines but I want at least 3.5 gallons.

GPS speedo is nice if I bother to run one. I'm long tired of conventional speedometers.

It sucks when you have a nice ghost-flamed tank in cobalt blue that you have to weld on.
                    Cobalt blue is my favorite color. I won't likely go beyond a simple single color (likely something Deco) for the sheet metal so I won't feel sad when I scratch it.

I like the cardboard clearance check method and "feeler gauges/rods/shims" in general.

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

Those tanks are lovely but even 3.5s are on the small side for my preference. Very sleek lines but I want at least 3.5 gallons.
                      3.5 it is ...

Bobbed gas tank set comes without reserve shut off rod and shift gate.
                      Accepts 3/8" National Pipe Thread petcock. (66-74)
                      Also available with the 75-up petcock but has the 66-71 tank badge mounts welded on ..

Can be had without the badge mounts with the 22mm petcock, but at the moment are on backoder ..

Both gas tank sets accepts 1 non vented cap and one vented cap.

Little over two bills for these ..

At one time long ago a company was making 4.0 gallon tanks ..
                      Sold a few sets, was made very well but to me looked a bit to fat on a chop ..

Been years since I've seen any on the market ....

Guessing low sales took em to Valhalla !!
                      Last edited by Dragstews; 05-23-2022, 9:13 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                        • Sep 2010

This should keep me busy for awhile ...

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

That's one ^^ ... One to go ...

On the 52. Goodson Mag Cap came in ..
                          I ordered it in a raw finish so the owner could pick what finish he wanted on it ... ??

With all the shinny shi ...errrrr .. stuff that motor has, I told him that a gloss black would look really good ...

He agreed ... Prepping it for the powder ...

Last edited by Dragstews; 05-28-2022, 5:16 PM.

Comment

• flatman
                            • Sep 2017

been awhile since I saw valve collars with holes in em. What brand are they? Thanks, I really enjoy the thread and pics. Thumbs up!!

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by flatman
                              been awhile since I saw valve collars with holes in em. What brand are they? Thanks, I really enjoy the thread and pics. Thumbs up!!
                              Thanks, it keep me out of the tittie Bars ...

Valves are "KPMI" Black Diamond;
                              One pieced forged stainless steel valves are impregnated by a special German process to improve wear properties and reduce friction.
                              This process provides resistance to corrosion and ware that is superior to that of hard chromium and electrolysis nickel plating ...

Springs and retainers are also "KPMI"
                              Wasn't so long ago a man could order the spring kit with having Titanium retainers ... Think those are long gone ..
                              (The SR-71 program used it all up )

Last edited by Dragstews; 05-27-2022, 6:48 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                                • Sep 2010

Had to load the rocker arm studs so the heads could bolt down in the Seat & Guide machine ...

On a sad note ..

Kid up the street from me that helps me in the shop and my sister at home from time to time OD-ed last night on horse ...
                                Just 28, had his whole life ahead of him ...

He was a good Guy ... I shall miss him .. !!
                                Gone, gone damage done ..

Screw dat shit ...

Was going to get the other head loaded on the head rack and start in on sizing the guides ...

But I'm really not feeling it today ...

Will pick up on Monday where I lefted off ...
                                Last edited by Dragstews; 05-29-2022, 2:32 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;