CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 33 of 38 First ... 233132333435 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by flatman View Post
    rockman, just curious what do you use the icemelt for?
    The driveway and walks. Not often, but maybe once a year or two we get ice and snow.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default What is "Ice and Snow" .. ??

Quote Originally Posted by rockman96 View Post
    The driveway and walks. Not often, but maybe once a year or two we get ice and snow.

(I vaguely remember.)
    __________________________________________________ _

Ready to be installed ...

Got a pretty stock look going on but for the oil tank and tranny ...

Harley should've done that back in 48 ..
    Yeah .. Ele start, 5-speed trans would have been the "Cat's Ass" back in that day .. !!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Farmall, say how you dealing with Ian's wrath ??
    Last edited by Dragstews; 10-01-2022 at 2:01 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I slept through Ian then took advantage of the soaked ground to trim my fair-sized used steel collection so I can finish (well, this stage anyway) my shop. I also torch cut when it's raining because that's cool and comfy.

I wear a wide-brimmed hard hat to keep the rain off. Anyone who hasn't examined how ironworkers do their thing and the HIGHLY optimized gear (sleaver bars, bull pins, spud wrenches etc) they rock is missing out. I ain't one but they build modern civilization so they're worth listening to.

If I had to live in a much more threatened zone my house and everything else would look like an offshore oil rig and that's not a joke since steel is so easy to work with and I fucking love industrial environments. It's especially easy to elevate steel structures above any reasonably (or unreasonably) likely flood and the big 'uns survive the North Sea. I've always disliked wood as building material since termites devour that shit (they're really bad in SC and modern wood treatments are useless plus the wood becomes even more of a sponge).

Getting fucked by storms is kind of optional for gearheads. I like the solar idea and the size and rating of your setup is about right for my low demand. When the time comes it will be easy to mount atop one of my containers and the battery bank etc can live inside. I've looked into portable military and jobsite solar and will copy some of those features including maintenance-friendly mounting which can fold flat so it won't act like a sail during storms but mainly cuz I work alone so it all has to be SIMPLE and EASY. I ain't getting younger so I'm pushing hard on infrastructure for the next couple years.
    Last edited by farmall; 10-03-2022 at 11:34 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Cool info ....

The Mohawk Indians shaped the New York city skyline with building the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, the George Washington Bridge and the World Trade Center.

IDK ... Think I'll keep my ass closer to the ground, it's not very far to fall down from there .. !!
    (Don't think OSHA was around back then ??)

Good to hear that you didn't wake up in the ........

(Wouldn't have been very far away ... You could've walked back)
    Last edited by Dragstews; 10-03-2022 at 12:42 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    how ironworkers do their thing and the HIGHLY optimized gear (sleaver bars, bull pins, spud wrenches etc) they rock is missing out. I ain't one but they build modern civilization so they're worth listening to.

I've always disliked wood as building material since termites devour that shit (they're really bad in SC and modern wood treatments are useless plus the wood becomes even more of a sponge).
    Heh, I was working at a site back in the 80's, and there was a younger iron worker that was a real workout freak. Instead of eating lunch like everyone else, when the whistle blew he'd throw a come along over each shoulder and start climbing vertical risers (I-beams) to the upper structure. Too much energy... Can't get away with shit like that these days.

Yeah, termites suck. In SC it isn't a matter of 'if' you get termites, its 'when' you have to deal with them. They're one reason I built my newest shop with concrete, block, and mortar. Eat this, motherfuckers!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    IDK ... Think I'll keep my ass closer to the ground, it's not very far to fall down from there .. !!
    (Don't think OSHA was around back then ??)
    Formed1922 (as Bureau of Labor Standards) · April 28, 1971
    Last edited by rockman96; 10-03-2022 at 3:21 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

That's a new (Hi-Tech) look for the 48 ... !!

Well, does appear that some finesse will be needed to fit it up ...

1) The trans top lid or the seat post will need some clearnacing ..

Should be a easy cure for that small problem ..

Got the trans sitting where it needs to go ??
    Trans case is almost touching the seat post ...

2) The motor plate looks like it going to need a spacer between it and the motor case .. ??
    Called the manufacturer and was telling them about these new found problems ..
    They are sending to me a .200" spacer to fill the gap ..

Last edited by Dragstews; 10-07-2022 at 1:21 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Interesting. If spacer no workee and needs to be longer I can turn one to size after I pick up the pile. Round stuff not a problem.

Clearancing not a problem for me either. Shifter arm length may change since I like the longer throw from either a longer front arm (I use Dyna arms on my FXRs) or maybe in this case a shorter gearbox arm though a quick kiss of a flap disc looks as if it should clear.

I'll be doing considerable fiddling anyway in the lower frame region since I want mid controls. Tentative plan is mock up using spare Shovelhead brake side parts suitably modified. Those and the sprung seat should be decent to my back.
    Last edited by farmall; 10-06-2022 at 11:42 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Well, kiss my grits and butter my biscuits !!

Found a small problem with the fit ...

Using the rear corner bolt in the mounting plate for alining purposes showed the problem ...

The motorplate needs to go further in on the case ...

Which it cannot do cause of the motor case seal/bearing support is .026" larger (O.D.) than the plate hole is (I.D.) ...
    The bearing support does have a shoulder, meaning a step cut most likely will be needed on the motorplate ... ??

Better warm up the Bridgeport, it's got a job to do ....

In the below photo shows the step ....

Well Hell ...
    So much for that "Plug & Play" shi ... errrr ... stuff .. !!

The good news is the trans case to seat post might have enough room that it will not need mods to work ... ??

Of Course when the motorplate is sitting where it needs to be that bit of room is going to diminish ...
    (Might be as tight as bark on a tree)
    Last edited by Dragstews; 10-06-2022 at 4:56 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Good finds!

Praise be to HDs simple design for making that relatively easy to sort out. You're obviously right about boring the plate.

The bolt holes in the plate are interesting because they're not round. What can you tell your eager audience about the left side case and inner primary cover variations
    making them necessary?

Get Adobe Flash player

Good finds!

The bolt holes in the plate are interesting because they're not round. What can you tell your eager audience about the left side case and inner primary cover variations
    making them necessary?
    That is interesting, got my attention.

Get Adobe Flash player

What can you tell your eager audience about the left side case and inner primary cover variations making them necessary?
    Almost sounds like a Mfg snafu, except you wouldn't expect that with a cnc.

Get Adobe Flash player

It's all about the manufactures not holding a standard in making parts ...

Made a call to the boys that made the motorplate ...
    They said that the hole was bored using the spec off of a bone stock Oem Harley motor case ..(Bolt-On deal for Oem cases)
    Our repo left side motor case may be bout .025" off from what Harley has for that dimension ..

Most likely that is the case (Pun intended) cause of in that area of the motor case nothing registers on the bearing support ..
    (Unless you are going aftermarket with a plate that does register on the sprocket shaft bearing support)

About the mounting holes machining ... That gives room for slight variations ...
    (Back to holding a Standard in machining)

Last edited by Dragstews; 10-07-2022 at 1:15 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Learn something everyday. So it *is* a snafu, but in engineering (of the cases)

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

So others may be having adventures getting shit to fit, which is par for the course and the main reason I caved and bought machine tools.

"One size fits all" with a fucking machine shop but too much metal is better than too little. One wonders if the aftermarket case was based on an oddball factory part.

Get Adobe Flash player

One wonders if the aftermarket case was based on an oddball factory part.
    I called Knuckleworks about that ..
    He said he used a Harley case for getting the dimension, but who's to say all Harley cases has the same dimension ??

Get Adobe Flash player

In the days prior to CNC, it would be much more difficult to maintain precise tolerances like what we have today.

Get Adobe Flash player

Several thou is one thing but dimensions that large aren't ordinary casting mistakes.

Sand castings were highly refined by the 1930s let alone the Pan era so such large dimensional differences reflect choice by someone.

The proper way to reverse engineer (not the same as "copy") is measure multiple cases on a comparator. Scanning is readily available and has been for years.

HD castings (and motorcycle castings of that era in general, Vincent dramatically excepted) were crude and rather sloppy, one reason they used coarse pitch fins for lower scrap rates and easier alignment of cope and drag sides of the mold.

The pretty stuff went to aircraft engines and of course cost more. HD has always been obviously desperate to cut low-visibility corners.
    Last edited by farmall; 10-09-2022 at 6:06 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

Had a bit of a chuckle at the harley bashing, clearly someone didn't do their homework. HD is godlike in my eyes after seeing how right they got it in '36 and '65--in a die-- a panhead 65-69 inner primary has a lot of awesome machine/pattern tricks that you don't pick up on until you're neck deep in it.
    CNC is a tool and someone didn't measure properly. I'd be most concerned with how tight the belt is. To get that plate to fit? I'd make a spacer for the motor. Then I'd mill the plate on the x-axis: the id fore/aft and the three motor mount holes fore/aft. That way you can move the trans back and get the proper tension (I 100% suspect that belt will not be anywhere tight enough, like 2in slack.)

Last edited by seaking; 10-11-2022 at 11:39 AM.

Share This