X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tater66
    • Mar 2019

AMF mag wheel

PN 43499-78

This is the 9 spoke mag wheel used on Sportsters from 78-83. 19" Front wheel.

Im looking for info on wheel bearing, seal, and spacers.

What i found so far, cross referencing catalogs, is that the wheel bearings are standard Shovel era bearings. Im really looking for the seal PN and what kind of spacers are used with that seal.

I did have a shovel seal and it fits wheel. I plug a matching spacer into it and the depth is way off.

So if anyone has the exploded parts book page that i can get numbers off of it would be helpfull.
  • Tater66
    • Mar 2019

One more thing....

What makes the evo era mags suitable for tubeless tires and the AMF mag not ?

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

You are right, the bearing is the standard 9052 Timken. The seal is 47519-72, usually but some of those wheels take a really narrow seal that I think is 47519-83, but I'm not sure about that number. The seal spacer on the left side is also the axle spacer and is narrow. The speedometer drive, which has a -73 part number, is the right side spacer.

The early mags were not designed to be tubeless, but you might get away with running them tubeless.

Jim

Comment

• Tater66
        • Mar 2019

Ah, speedo drive was throwing me off when looking at pics of bearing kits.

So it may be possible to run the seal/axle spacer on both sides ?

That would be the PN Im looking for
        Last edited by Tater66; 05-19-2020, 7:32 PM.

Comment

• JBinNC
          • Dec 2018

You would probably need a wider spacer on the right, like the standard -86A spacer from the wide hubs. They are .73 - .75 wide. The left side spacer is closer to 1/2 wide. Both spacers are 1.125 OD.

Jim

Comment

• Tater66
            • Mar 2019

So, technically, I can make spacers to ride inside the seal and touch the inner portion of fork legs.

Just so we're on the same page, I may be doing this with a wideglide or possibly narrowed 41mm trees. My only limitation is the rotor which I know is 10" and 2 3/8" center hole.

Comment

• JBinNC
              • Dec 2018

The left spacer sets the location of the wheel in the fork and is clamped up tight against the fork leg when you tighten the axle nut. The right spacer sets the location of the axle in the fork, and bears on the shoulder of the axle. It should NOT touch the right fork leg. That leg should be free to fall where it will on the axle, so the fork legs are not in a bind when everything is tightened up.

Jim

Comment

• Tater66
                • Mar 2019

Thanks, Jim. I understand what youre getting at.

Lets say wheel goes on wideglide. At that point, the spacer has to be extended. Im suggesting a 1.125" OD spacer that extends all the way to shoulder of axle, eliminating the double spacer issue on each side.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the purpose of a split spacer set up is to allow wheel removal.
                Last edited by Tater66; 05-22-2020, 7:38 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;