CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    Thanks, I've actually been messing with some different numbers in that calculator for a bit now.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 79Josh81 View Post
    So youíre saying cut from the bottom, rake it to where you want it, and then extend, slug, and sleeve the two down tubes back together before piecing in your cut and adding your new gussets? I donít even know how you could get a welder up in there.
    Iím saying if your cutting into to the gusset, plan to remove the guessers and rebuild. Otherwise stay do your cutting on either side of gusset and slug. But thatís just my 2cents.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'd go with raked trees. Much safer option.

Quote Originally Posted by metalheart28 View Post
    I'd go with raked trees. Much safer option.
    How much rake just in the trees can these bikes handle before the trail goes to hell?

Get Adobe Flash player

Welding is quite safe if you are or hire a weldor. It's not safe if you don't know what you're doing. A frame is not the place to learn. Workpieces are not the place to learn.

Clean scrap similar to the workpiece welded using proper equipment and technique then destructively cut apart to verify penetration and bend tested is the way to learn.

If you can't afford to have it welded and cannot perform the work, then do not attempt to weld it. It's a TOY, not some necessity for survival.

Considering the immense value of learning how to weld that's a much better investment than some pretty decorative front end which teaches and accomplishes nothing but looking shiny. Learning to weld is worth more than any one project bike. Local community college courses are a good way to start.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Welding is quite safe if you are or hire a weldor. It's not safe if you don't know what you're doing. A frame is not the place to learn. Workpieces are not the place to learn.

Clean scrap similar to the workpiece welded using proper equipment and technique then destructively cut apart to verify penetration and bend tested is the way to learn.

If you can't afford to have it welded and cannot perform the work, then do not attempt to weld it. It's a TOY, not some necessity for survival.

Considering the immense value of learning how to weld that's a much better investment than some pretty decorative front end which teaches and accomplishes nothing but looking shiny. Learning to weld is worth more than any one project bike. Local community college courses are a good way to start.
    Thanks but I know how to mig weld. And someone said something about not using a 110v welder before....I use a 110v mig with gas and I can get good penetration up to 3/16". I can even weld the shit out of 1/4" if I bevel the ends enough before welding. I have beat the shit out of my welds on flat stock and DOM tubing, bending them back and forth, and the steel around the weld in the heat affected zone fails before the weld. I learned a few years ago by doing exactly what you said. I found someone selling two old sand blasted xs650 frames for $150 and I bought them, cut them up at a bunch of different angles, and welded them back together. I started using flux core and went to mig because it was cleaner and and flux core burns too hot for tubing. I've gotten to the point of where I can tell if a weld is getting the penetration I need or not while I'm in the middle of laying the weld.

Long story short, I could rake the neck of my frame successfully. I know I could. I just wouldn't be raking it out to a high enough degree where i might not be able to just get there using cups or trees. But I'm still interested in all of the ways people choose to go about raking the necks by cutting and welding them because I still may do it that way.
    Last edited by 79Josh81; 05-05-2020 at 7:47 PM.

Share This