Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cyclespun
    • Jun 2016

01 Sporster Clutch Issue

Hey guys, I have an 01 1200 Sporty Im having some clutch adjustment issues with. I cant seem to find anything on this topic besides how to do a clutch adjustment and any close issue to mine was unanswered. My issue is I did the adjustment. Fire the bike up and as soon as I click it into gear, the bikes jumps forward and dies. I tried three times per the manuals recommendations. The second time the cable after the adjustment I couldn't even pull in towards the handlebar it was so tight with resistance. Did it again and lever felt fine. But still, fire bike, click it into gear and boom shut off from the clutch not disengaging. Idk why the clutch won't disengage. I tried different primary oil weights thinking maybe its too thick, I also check the clutch pack and friction and steel has plenty of life left. It ran fine and shifts find but was just a little hard to find neutral. Barely. I decided to do a minor clutch adjustment per manual. Of course, this happens. I called a few shops and they said Im doing the adjustment fine. The procedure I'm following is... Slack cable, lever is fully in, screw the adjusting screw in clockwise, then counter clockwise till I feel contact and then back off 1/4 of a turn. Lock the adjusting screw there, then adjust cable free-play and lever has about 1/8 of free-play... I was thinking about going clockwise a little further and then backing off a 1/4 of a turn but I like keeping things adjusted correctly. I can't figure out the issue. I have a 74 Shovel and know a little about sportsters and have done these adjustments on these bikes before, but have never had this issue... Any info helps and thank you in advance!
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Most likely your pressure plate has a great deal of ware ....
    Since it's made of aluminum it grooves out and causes the stacking height to go nuts, which in turn fart with the Belleville spring ...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 04-19-2020, 7:09 PM.
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

How high is your bike idling????????

Comment

• cyclespun
        • Jun 2016

Pressure plate is new and in good condition. My confusion is the clutch worked well before I did an adjustment.

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Bearing may be going South in the plate ...
          Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• brooklynbomber
            • Sep 2011

I feel like 1/4 turn is not enough after contact. I’ve had very similar trouble with an 02 that had a Barnett clutch upgrade and was also very hard to find neutral. Have you tried going 1/2-3/4? I couldn’t get the bikes clutch adjusted right no matter what I tried. Went for a ride...blew the bearing out after 3 shifts down the road. So Drag is most likely correct on that.

After I got a new one on there, still had neutral trouble. But I was now able to get it in proper adjustment but I remember that I had to try a few different adjustments past 1/4 in order to get everything to gel along with cable slack adjustment. I finally got mine right prior to putting it up for sale and it was such a pleasure to finally ride it and not have to mess with neutral problems

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;