CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

too easy Sky, thanks, again.

Alright guys prepare to laugh, I have a new problem on here. Any ideas as to why when I turn the key switch to off the bike continues running on its own? Would that be indicative of a faulty key switch or would something else cause this problem?

Sounds like you have 12V going to your coil/module all the time. Don't walk away from it like that, disconnect the battery. The coil will overheat if left connected and not running.

Jim

Assuming you don't have a magneto, the coil is getting power after he switch is turned off.
    Use a test light on the coil to see what happens in all switch positions. If it never goes out then it is backfeeding somewhere, I'd think the lighting circuit is most likely. Remove the other wires one at a time until the culprit is located.
    If it's a magneto then the magneto must be grounded to stop the spark. There's a terminal on the side of the magneto housing which should have a small brass grounding contact on it. Push that against the housing and it will stop.

I disconnected the battery after it did that. Won't reconnect it until i figure it out. Just never experienced that before. It started and shut off fine for a few days now it stays running.

I don't have lighting hooked up anywhere on the bike. Just started thinking about headlights but i need a diode that i don't have.

If you have an aftermarket ignition switch, it may have failed. Otherwise, you may have two connectors touching somewhere (like the back of the switch).

Jim

It's an aftermarket ignition switch. Might look into using the factory one and seeing if it does the same thing. I'll double check the connectors.

Share This