Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoomBuggy
    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by confab
    Anybody trade stocks? This corona paranoia is going to make a lot of people a lot of money when it finally flames out.
    Just got off the phone with my broker. We discussed 1) not selling anything right now as the market will eventually recover and 2) watching for Disney to hit bottom so we can buy a bunch more. ( My Disney stock continues to outperform the market year after year, it is just a good solid stock )

The thing about Disney stock is when people come out of something like this they want to get away and after being cooped up at home with the kids for a few months those parks and movies are going to look pretty dang good to a lot of people.

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Crosspost of mine from another forum where adult information was needed:

BEWARE OF EMAIL FORWARDS. They're almost always pop culture bullshit and unsourced or poorly sourced. NEVER FORWARD THEM because they just add noise, not information. Reasons do not exist to rely on random inputs when we have direct access to scientific and medical information from reasonably credible sources. We laugh at Hindus drinking piss to ward off COVID so let's not be tricked into thinking like them,

It is logical to use the same resources professionals use. It is not logical to want anything inferior.
      CDC is a credible source. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...s/summary.html It is subject to constant professional scrutiny and peer review.. Some random shitbag bulk spamming our inboxes is not a credible source. Know the difference.
      ECDC. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en

Johns Hopkins should need no introduction nor should Harvard:
      Johns Hopkins experts in global public health, infectious disease, and emergency preparedness have been at the forefront of the international response to COVID-19.

health information, medical information, health news, health report, health newsletters, health newsletter, Harvard Health Publications, Harvard Health Publishing, Harvard Health, health.harvard.edu, health harvard edu, Harvard Heart Letter, Harvard Health Letter, Harvard Women's Health Watch, Harvard Mental Health Letter, Harvard Men's Health Watch, Perspectives on Prostate Disease

When you read "Experts suggest" with no links to those purported experts (which themselves should pass a credibility test) that's an instant red flag. Why not read what real experts have to say?

Remember every layer of "translation" between original sources and the reader adds errors. For example the editors and writers of your local newspaper may be very nice people but unless they're experts there's no reason to bother with them.

Myths should be debunked and exposed because they help spread disease.

BTW people who KNOW how to fit test respirators and gas masks (vets, first responders, etc) could benefit but the little dust mask style masks don't do much compared to serious NBC gear because they don't seat firmly. Since most people would just waste them because they've no concept of self-decontamination it's better for society to limit their use to conserve them. The toilet paper hoarding mongoloids have no business squandering limited resources needed by the same medical professionals who take the concentrated risk of treating them when they get sick.

Your tax dollars paid for the nice folks at Fort Detrick to do live NBC tests on protection systems. The military TMs etc are available online.

Hand washing helps but not contaminating hands in the first place is even better. Protect thy meat sponges!
      Being curious about gloves I found a professional reference that goes into detail. Vets know NBC protection requires gloves but the military issue gloves suck for precise work.

No single glove or boot material will protect against every substance. Most glove manufacturers offer detailed guides to glove materials and their chemical resistance. Butyl rubber gloves generally provide better protection than nitrile gloves for chemical warfare agents and most toxic industrial chemicals that are more likely to be involved in a terrorist incident, although the converse applies to some industrial chemicals. Foil-based gloves are highly resistant to a wide variety of hazardous substances and could also be considered when determining an appropriate protective ensemble. Hospitals must select materials that cover the specific substances that the hospital has determined first receivers reasonably might encounter. However, given the broad scope of potential contaminants, OSHA considers it of vital importance for hospitals also to select materials that protect against a wide range of substances. A double layer of gloves, made of two different materials, or foil-based gloves resist the broadest range of chemicals.

In general, the same material selected for gloves will also be appropriate for boots. Because boot walls tend to be thicker than gloves, boots of any material are likely to be more protective than gloves of the same material.

A combination of gloves, for example, butyl gloves worn over inner nitrile gloves, are often the best option for use by hospital workers during emergencies and mass casualties involving hazardous substances. However, hospitals are advised to select the combination that best meet their specific needs.

Glove thickness is measured in mils, with a higher number of mils indicating a thicker glove. Using common examples, exam gloves are often approximately 4 mil, while general-purpose household (kitchen) gloves are 12-16 mil, and heavy industrial gloves might be 20 to 30 mil.

Depending on the dexterity needed by the hospital worker, the glove selection can be modified to allow for the use of a glove combination that is thinner than that usually recommended for the best protection. As an example, the U.S. Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine (USACHPPM) recommends that hospital personnel working with victims potentially contaminated with chemical warfare agents or toxic industrial chemicals wear a combination of chemical protective gloves, such as butyl rubber gloves over inner nitrile gloves (USACHPPM, 2003a).35 Because thicker gloves offer greater protection, USACHPPM recommends a butyl glove with a minimum thickness of 14 mil (over a 4 or 5 mil nitrile glove). However, with increased thickness comes greater loss of manual dexterity. When advanced medical procedures must be performed before decontamination, thicker gloves might be too awkward, and, therefore, it might be necessary to use a butyl rubber glove of 7 mil over the nitrile glove, or a 14 mil butyl rubber glove alone (USACHPPM, 2003a). If sterility is required and decontamination is not possible before procedures, a double layer of disposable 4 to 5 mil nitrile gloves might be the best option (USACHPPM, 2003a). Not all sources recommend double gloves; for example, the U.S. Army Soldier and Biological Chemical Command's (SBCCOM) Domestic Preparedness Program (DPP) recommends butyl rubber gloves for personnel performing decontamination operations and casualty care (SBCCOM, 2000a). Among the sterile gloves readily available, those made of nitrile offer the best resistance to the widest range of substances (but not all). Note that thinner gloves deteriorate (tear and rip) more rapidly than thicker gloves. When thinner gloves must be used, they should be changed frequently.

Hendler et al. (2000), as cited in USACHPPM (2003a), conducted a study to determine the effect of full PPE (including 12-mil "tactile" gloves and a full facepiece mask) on intubation performance. Clinicians wearing this equipment could perform endotracheal intubation effectively (i.e., the tube was inserted in sufficient time), but the procedure did take longer than it would have without PPE. Intubation delays would cause subsequent decontamination procedures and medical treatment to be delayed by a corresponding amount of time.
      Last edited by farmall; 03-16-2020, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• confab
        • May 2019

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
        Just got off the phone with my broker. We discussed 1) not selling anything right now as the market will eventually recover and 2) watching for Disney to hit bottom so we can buy a bunch more. ( My Disney stock continues to outperform the market year after year, it is just a good solid stock )

The thing about Disney stock is when people come out of something like this they want to get away and after being cooped up at home with the kids for a few months those parks and movies are going to look pretty dang good to a lot of people.
        Oh yeah, it'll come back. I'll watch Disney. I never know what to make of entertainment stocks? When they're good, they're probably great. Seasonal plays, maybe?

I'm fairly new to trading and was trying to wade in slowly, but I just absolutely could not resist the DOW index funds this morning. So, I threw a little money at it.

Indexes that closed at 60 bucks on Friday, down from highs of 140, opened at 38 this morning.. Lowest numbers on the 3Y chart, and I didn't bother to look any further.

Holy hell, what an opportunity. It is amazing the money people are going to make when this thing turns back up.
        Last edited by confab; 03-16-2020, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Revelator
          • Aug 2009

Comment

• Hatchet54
            • Sep 2012

Gas prices are sooooo low right now, I dragged 10 jerry cans to town today and filled both tanks on the square body and made off like a bandit

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

KSA dumping oil to assfuck Russia will keep gas prices low for a while.

Check out the heat map for average unleaded gas prices around the country for both Canada and the US. Type in your city to see a local gas prices map.

I'll use my reserve gas for a mass parts cleaning party and refresh it all.

Comment

• 47str8leg
                • Sep 2014

No more Corona virus updates.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6753.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1316471

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                  • Dec 2017

Click image for larger version

Name:	covid answer...ride.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1316488
                  If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• capnbill
                    • Sep 2013

Well...I got back Saturday from a little putt through Georgia, N & S Carolina, Virginia, & back home to Tn. The answer is counterclockwise .

Comment

• Bbqbiker
                      • May 2015

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                        • Oct 2016

My youngest is in senior healthcare in Denver, she came down with the flue just before all this happened and it took calls to the CDC from her boss in order for her to get tested. There just are not enough kits out there regardless of what our goberment is saying.

She is now sitting at home waiting for the results to come back and terrified she will have to tell her staff to self quarantine. I've lived through enough of this stuff not to panic, but I am a little quesy when I look at how bad it is in Italy right now.

Comment

• MadRiverMoCo
                          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
                          My youngest is in senior healthcare in Denver, she came down with the flue just before all this happened and it took calls to the CDC from her boss in order for her to get tested. There just are not enough kits out there regardless of what our goberment is saying.

She is now sitting at home waiting for the results to come back and terrified she will have to tell her staff to self quarantine. I've lived through enough of this stuff not to panic, but I am a little quesy when I look at how bad it is in Italy right now.
                          We created our own tests at my hospital as most academic med centers are.

Say a prayer for us all. People I trust who don't freak out are freaked the fuck out.

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by MadRiverMoCo
                            We created our own tests at my hospital as most academic med centers are.

Say a prayer for us all. People I trust who don't freak out are freaked the fuck out.
                            Yep!!!!

I never understood why people thought this shit was so funny in the first place...... This is some serious shit............

That's all I have to say about it...........

Comment

• Hoghead
                              • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Bbqbiker
                              Man, that is gross!

Comment

• MadRiverMoCo
                                • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Tattooo
                                Yep!!!!

I never understood why people thought this shit was so funny in the first place...... This is some serious shit............

That's all I have to say about it...........
                                I'm here on the front line. It sucks. Hope I make it through...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;