Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SledKicker
    • May 2012

1961 FLH Chop

I've been riding it for a couple months now. Got it as a hackjob wishbone frame, assembled motor, and 4 speed trans, along with a few boxes of old stocker parts that didn't get used for the most part. Frame had about 4 inches of bondo on the neck when I got it. I cleared that all away and found a nightmare weld job I had to cut loose and redo. Someone at some point in the past had done a five finger rake job and didn't really know how to weld. The state of the welds on the seat and tank mounts alone was enough to convince me that bondo had to go away for inspection. It was... the bad kind of sketchy. Oh, I also had to heat it up and straighten the neck, as they'd managed to skew it off to one side when they did the rake job. I went ahead and plated it on both sides while I was at it just to make me feel safe. Anyway, other than that it was just picking the bits I wanted and slapping things together. Grind something here, make a bracket and weld it on there. You know the drill. Sporty forks with stock tubes, narrow frisco tank, rabbits, reused the old fender i got with the deal, the brightest damn taillight in existence (prism supply, holy god that thing is bright. highly recommended), etc.

It's a nice, strong FLH engine that I'm thinking must have been freshened up not too terribly long ago. I stuck a CV carb on it and that's been going well. The right side controls are shovelhead mids hooked up to a sportster rear master on a custom mount. Left side controls are some cobbled together mids I made out of old aftermarket forwards I had lying around. They're mounted to a rod welded into the factory mechanical brake pivot tube on the frame. It works fine but I'm gonna be figuring out a cleaner solution at some point. Anyway, it's good to be back on the road again after that asshole smacked my shovel with his truck and drove off a couple years back (didnt hurt me). The bike is nothing groundbreaking or anything but I'm happy with it and figured I'd share.

Before

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1552.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	1346375

Name:	0D069719-11AD-4F53-86ED-549FEEE94010-319-0000007CAF44E080.jpg
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	1346376

Name:	IMG_1518.jpg
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	1346377

After

Name:	20200118_114936.jpg
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	1346374

Name:	IMG_2481.jpg
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	1346378
    Last edited by SledKicker; 02-07-2020, 9:54 PM. Reason: more detail
  • markwade74
    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by SledKicker
    The bike is nothing groundbreaking or anything but I'm happy with it and figured I'd share

Looks good to me, I'd be tickled to call it mines. Nice work
    Last edited by markwade74; 02-07-2020, 11:27 PM. Reason: Because

Comment

• pan620
      • Feb 2013

I have a couple "stock" projects going on if you want to sale the stock parts you have. Thanks Dave

Comment

• brooklynbomber
        • Sep 2011

That’s a great looking sled, I really like the tank

Comment

• confab
          • May 2019

That's beautiful..

Comment

• 47str8leg
            • Sep 2014

Cool and clean . Nice job.

Comment

• Hatchet54
              • Sep 2012

Made it into my fantasy reference pics folder. Rad!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;