Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExplodingCoffinEmporium
    • Oct 2016

72’ Ironhead frame engine fitment issues

Bit of backstory, my buddy bless his ambitious heart had this 1972 IH, the trans took a shit, he got frustrated and was talked into altering the backbone to accommodate an evo engine. So he cuts off the backbone, which he no longer has and installs a very solid piece of tubing to allow evo fitment. I acquire this frame from him later on, and have now come to a point of deciding what to do with it. I really have no desire to throw an evo in it, I have a 77’ engine sitting around however. It would seem like quite a waste to find another IH backbone and cut it off to replace this one. Would it be feasible to install the 77’ engine and weld a new top motor mount into place? I know the 77’ oil pump is a fitment issue for older frames, or so I’ve heard. I guess just looking for some thoughts, thank you
    Attached Files
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

Well, at least the '77 motor will line up and bolt into the motor mounts, and unfortunately, an evo motor will NOT. So, you are on the right track.

Jim

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

Some info on the older Ironhead frames that may be of interest:

OSKRG Research/Restoration Bulletin #1, REV.5

1952-'72 K & XL Frame Model Year
      Determination Flow Chart:

If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

If the frame has a title it's worth fucking with.

Check the xlforum regarding oil pump clearance modification. It's been done.

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
          • Oct 2016

It is a titled 72’

Comment

• ridgerunner1965
            • Mar 2015

im not a expert on ih sportys but a top motor mount is easily fabbed and welded on. the oil pump clearance could be challenging but nothing you cant figure out.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;