CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by 47str8leg View Post
    Caveat Emptor.
    yes i googled it and yes im with it

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sometimes, the Irony Bus backs up.. And right over people when it does.

Ironically, if this guy makes a bunch of noise about an altered VIN, and he convinces the police of it? They'll seize his bike and he'll get a receipt to ride down the road..

Meanwhile, the money he paid you will probably be considered a civil matter and not of interest to them.

Get Adobe Flash player

vin pad is shaved, incorrect height, numbers do not appear to be 3/16 length valley to valley, that year motor has incorrect 6 it is not straight back.your vin pad is very thin, like 60's models , not correct .

Get Adobe Flash player

you need to pull that post, some one can make a bill of sale in a non title state get a registration transfer and get a title, then there is a fight over the title and if some one knows altered numbers they can direct via palmers book to police.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by confab View Post

"PS: There's not a cop in this county who would fail those numbers on a VIN check.. Re-Stamped or not."

Aaaaaaaaaa, errrrrrrrrrrr ... I wouldn't say that, No Sir ... !!

At bike events, like Daytona Bike Week, Laughlin River Run, Sturgis etc, they have "Number Cops" that their only job is to BUST bikes with MICKEY MOUSE numbers ...
    Those Boys are pretty sharp cookies, they know what to look for .....
    Last edited by Dragstews; 12-12-2019 at 2:41 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

The moral is it may be wiser and more profitable to part that old shit out than sell it whole. (Works for Elvis on FXR parts.) Lower liability per transaction and if one part like a case half is an issue it doesn't take out the rest of the bike. You can always sell titles without cases too. It's all about the money and parting out is why salvage businesses make gobs of money. (One gent whose name I forget hits meets like Barber and Mid Ohio filling a tractor trailer each time and parts 'em out.) Even cone Shovels go higher in pieces on Ebay than they do intact so might as well sell pork chops instead of a hog.

I haven't read all the posts, but here's my take: Be careful in working with that guy, as much as that sucks. If, worse case, the numbers are shady, you will suffer the consequences. Believe it or not, a title with the matching vin on it does not mean that the engine wasn't stolen or restamped. The lady at DMV just takes the your title and processes it. She doesn't care what the the numbers look like on the bike

As far as numbers go, believe it or not, righteous numbers back in the day weren't clean and in line as we might expect. I have seen original factory numbers that really looked like a hack job

Dealer Restamp: Ill tell you right now, johnny law will immediately raise an eye when the term comes up. That's just how it is. Lets face it, the Law loves to pursue vins and titling issues if they feel things aren't 100% correct. Especially with biker folks

What sucks is that the guy you sold it to has you by the balls. If you don't buy it back, he could call the law, and then its on. And if it goes anywhere, you might have to get a lawyer. But if you buy it back he might keep his mouth shut?

And the real problem is, how do you know an old motor is stolen to begin with? Records in DMV only go so far back, and unless the numbers come up stolen within the last 10 years or so, (it could go back longer) it could be stolen and your would'nt even know it, even if you had DMV check

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by docmel View Post
    What sucks is that the guy you sold it to has you by the balls.
    I say Bull shit............. What about the guy that the OP bought it from??????????? And on and on...............

Get Adobe Flash player

In real life the buyer can make life very inconvenient, like pointing out OP is dealing in used vehicles without a dealer license or paying business taxes, HazMat fees, and whatever the state requires.

One option could be to buy the bike back but on condition the title and bike be returned to you and you pay him what you can in cash then make a notarized promissory note with an agreed payment due date for the rest. That way he's guaranteed the money, you can part out the shitbox and quickly get the rest of the money due the buyer, and keep any remaining $$. Don't put a lien on the title so it's free and clear. Once it's in your name you can scrap the case half and turn in the title as vehicle scrapped putting it forever out of reach. No case, no problem, no future problems and you can pass on buying old shit in the future because used sales are about the money, not what you sell to get it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by tzienlee View Post
    what dealers NEVER did was to Re-Stamp a case over or after removal of an original number,...
    Not so. I know of at least 2 dealers in my neck of the woods that used to do this in the '60'sand '70's. Probably before that, too. A guy would bring his bike into the dealer to have the engine rebuilt, the dealer would have several already rebuilt engines in stock,with the numbers ground off. They'd take one of the rebuilt engines, stamp the guy's number on the motor with genuine HD stamps, and send him on his way,then when they rebuilt the motor he'd left behind, they'd grind off the numbers and pass it on to the next guy. Most customers would OK this,instead of having their original motor rebuilt, because they could get their bike back in a couple of days as opposed to a couple of weeks. One dealer that I worked for even showed me the letter he got from the state, dated 1981, telling him to stop doing that.

Get Adobe Flash player

Once upon a time, long, long ago .. !!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case repair.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	98957

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    I say Bull shit............. What about the guy that the OP bought it from??????????? And on and on...............
    ^^^ I tend to agree with the above. OP didn't build the bike. OP bought a bike the state said was legal, he did in good faith and he can prove he acquired it legally.

I think all the buyer can do by making noise is screw himself out of 78 hundred bucks and a motorcycle in the same move.

Get Adobe Flash player

PS: They are not going to be able to trace the history of this engine casing back to 1950 and determine "In 1954, the engine was damaged and re-stamped at Jimbo's Harley Davidson in Calumet City at approximately 4:50 PM.. "

If buyer convinces them it is hinky? They'll just take his bike till they decide it isn't. (ask me how I know that)

When they're really motivated to learn the origin of a casting or a forging, they can use acids to try and revive the dense areas which form numbers below the surface. But I doubt they'll bother. I'm not even sure they can with aluminum..

The whole thing is incredibly dicey.. But OP bought a bike with matching numbers.. "The 6 looks kinda weird" nearly assumes he has psychic powers, mutant powers or some preternatural ability no layman will ever believe.

Get Adobe Flash player

If buyer convinces them it is hinky? They'll just take his bike till they decide it isn't. (ask me how I know that)
    Bingo, and that's the easy default. They can let it rot in impound until all concerned give up then it'll go to a police auction (where the title the magistrate issues WILL be valid). Remember the law have the power and if shit's sketchy they have zero legal obligation to care how it got that way.

If the serial doesn't match the belly numbers or the 6 should have a straight back which it doesn't then it provably ain't kosher however well meant the stamping may have been at the time. The only thing that matters is what really happens, not coulda/shoulda/woulda.

Get Adobe Flash player

Tit-for-tat and toe-to-toe in bird law all day, OP's buyer is a fucking cunt, he should man up and part it out. Maybe help him with pricing but it's a '50 for christ's sake, not an evo sportster.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ok I can now talk of what happened to me 2 weeks ago.
    I called my ins co on a matter and took care of that. Then insurance co let me know My Title was canceled. WTF.
    NOW I have owned my bike 4 years.
    Bought from reputable collector in the vintage world and good friend.
    He has had bike 15 yrs and me 4 or 5
    Title from him
    Title check clear and clean
    Matching numbers, original and unaltered
    Correct date codes matching belly numbers

Make a nightmare story short
    They made a vin typo on another persons Project bike which was 1 number off of mine.

Now my bike is on the road titled, personal vin inspected by mass police and on file.

What a shit show on a fully documented legal bike.

You think i would
    Have been notified. This person just apply this year, no title just a pc of friggen paper.

Moral to the story,
    Do a vin check
    Have police verify your numbers and put it on file.
    Some ones mistake due to being a lazy person at the registry caused me so much stress
    Btw my bike is a fully matching production date code end of year 47 knucklehead.

Unreal and sickening in real life the stress i went through

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Davestune View Post

Have police verify your numbers and put it on file.
    !! ... This might have dire consequences ... !!

Lets say "John Law" comes out to inspect the case Vin numbers, they take one look and say the numbers are bogus..
    From there they impound the scooter .. !!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    !! ... This might have dire consequences ... !!

Lets say "John Law" comes out to inspect the case Vin numbers, they take one look and say the numbers are bogus..
    From there they impound the scooter .. !!
    Then you fucked up by not doing your home work.
    Thats the point of buying a bike mzking sure its not stolen ,

Get Adobe Flash player

No Truer Words have been spoken .... ^^

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    No Truer Words have been spoken .... ^^
    Yes thats the point

Share This