CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: EVO tappets

  1. #21
    tzienlee
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    Didn't I see that one rolling round the Windsor area about 40 years ago? Nice!
    may be,... we used to come up from Brighton for party's at Hi Wycombe with Andy & DubDub from the Bucks NCC and the ''Herpes owners club,... Nashville teens at the 'NAGS HEAD'.....Great Missington,...Taplow etc.... ,''....

  2. #22
    Sugarcubes
    Guest

    Default

    I got my 94 evo FLSTC with around 40k miles on it and I remember reading 100s of posts all over the forums about how you absolutely must change out the tappets at around 40-50k miles as they would be on the verge of falling to bits. I decided to change them when I put my EV27 cam in earlier this year. Upon inspection the stock lifters looked in great condition but that's not to say that the previous owner may have had them changed over shortly before I bought the bike I guess.

    I put Hylift Johnson rollers in mine. I left them overnight to bleed down and then adjusted the pushrods to spec. Everything has run perfectly fine since.

  3. #23
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tzienlee View Post
    may be,... we used to come up from Brighton for party's at Hi Wycombe with Andy & DubDub from the Bucks NCC and the ''Herpes owners club,... Nashville teens at the 'NAGS HEAD'...…………..Great Missington,...Taplow etc.... ,''....
    Wasn't black at the time? Remember seeing one outside the HA's digs in High Town Road, Maidenhead.

  4. #24
    tzienlee
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    Wasn't black at the time? Remember seeing one outside the HA's digs in High Town Road, Maidenhead.
    yea,... it was black for quite a while so yea,... sounds like me,... back in those days I was all over visiting, never got 'involved'' with any club but knew many all over.... this isn't a good pic but about the only one I have with it black.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0635.jpg  

  5. #25
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    Thanks-I have an alloy framed FXR clone too now-

    Attachment 98901

    keeps me from modding the old FXR too much, I enjoy it as it is..
    Wow! Nice but... FXR? Where's the rear shocks? FXR style.. kinda sorta... but still darn nice.
    Is that Ducati stuff on there?

  6. #26
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hillcat View Post
    Wow! Nice but... FXR? Where's the rear shocks? FXR style.. kinda sorta... but still darn nice.
    Is that Ducati stuff on there?
    Very much a clone-some were built twin shock, some mono. The biz that built them wanted all the stuff that had been proven on club bikes , plus more...So having decided that the FXR frame was best, they had a batch built in alloy...The master cylinders are magnesium bodied Brembo's (probably used on some Ducati), there is a lot of euro sourced stuff
    on it. This was state of the art shit 20 years ago..

  7. #27
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tzienlee View Post
    yea,... it was black for quite a while so yea,... sounds like me,... back in those days I was all over visiting, never got 'involved'' with any club but knew many all over.... this isn't a good pic but about the only one I have with it black.
    Nice! I wanted a 45 big at that time. Some cat called Ian near Weymouth had a shitload of 45 stuff for sale back then.
    I spent the majority of the 1980's broke, but had a T100 in the early eighties and one of the first evo sportsters in the mid-late eighties.

    Coolest 45 based ride in the UK for me at the time was Sweetpea's 45 magnum bobber. He used to work in the Drag Speciailites warehouse in London for Jake Allport (RIP)

    This is someone elses, but it is cool..

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harley 45-magnum.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	98977

  8. #28
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hillcat View Post
    Wow! Nice but... FXR? Where's the rear shocks? FXR style.. kinda sorta... but still darn nice.
    Is that Ducati stuff on there?
    That beauty makes stock and most modified FXRs look like hot garbage by comparison. The stock rear FXR suspension geometry is short travel pathetic shit like all dual shock Harleys making the monoshock a fine upgrade. (I have two FXRs but their design is only good by Harley standards. That's why modern sportbikes aren't built like FXRs which are a bodge to rubber mount a buzzy drivetrain.)

    The only reason I see not to ride that in preference to a stocker is to save wear on a unique motorcycle, but that's like saving wear on a beautiful woman by not fucking her. Very, very nice machine!

  9. #29
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    All true but still not an FXR by definition.
    You know as well as me that we have to be aware and correct people calling their bike an FXR when it is not or every Dyna and aftermarket rubber mount frame out there becomes a FXR.

  10. #30
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9,769

    Default

    I'll correct people in applicable threads if they call their bike an FXR because they may otherwise misidentify parts. What the average shmuck on the street calls them matters little and it's better for us buyers when they get confused and use "Low Rider" or "Dyna" in their adverts. I search those terms looking for FXRs and found my last one that way. That one of course is an upgrade like what Rickman and Seeley used to do for other bikes. Chopper FXR-style frames are just random crap styling exercises to use up surplus bagger drivetrains but choppers aren't supposed to handle since custom builders want pretty, flexy, stripped steering heads instead of reinforcement. I just fondled a (edit to correct brand!) KRAFTECH frame at a swap meet and they're a joke by comparison to a stock frame. They use cheaper, thinner tubing and the aft section whose "cage" controls the drivetrain via the swingarm pivot on FXRs was eliminated for appearance. Pick one up and all will be clear.

    An FXR by definition fo course uses an FXR factory frame. Custom definitions are pretty loose so an FXR mounting system/drivetrain design is close enough for that purpose but technically should be "FXR-style" frame.

    The M8 FXR model is technically an FXR... I call that good too because I'd like the FXR cult status to go away so frames and bikes are cheaper. FXR riders don't benefit from more expensive bikes. The good old days of chopping were when buyers didn't want old HDs!
    Last edited by farmall; 01-31-2020 at 7:50 PM.

  11. #31
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    That beauty makes stock and most modified FXRs look like hot garbage by comparison. The stock rear FXR suspension geometry is short travel pathetic shit like all dual shock Harleys making the monoshock a fine upgrade. (I have two FXRs but their design is only good by Harley standards. That's why modern sportbikes aren't built like FXRs which are a bodge to rubber mount a buzzy drivetrain.)

    The only reason I see not to ride that in preference to a stocker is to save wear on a unique motorcycle, but that's like saving wear on a beautiful woman by not fucking her. Very, very nice machine!
    Thank Farmall, this shot's from another angle

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Satan's spawn.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	253.7 KB 
ID:	98984

  12. #32
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hillcat View Post
    All true but still not an FXR by definition.
    You know as well as me that we have to be aware and correct people calling their bike an FXR when it is not or every Dyna and aftermarket rubber mount frame out there becomes a FXR.
    My 'real' FXR...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_YAR_0854.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	337.7 KB 
ID:	98985

  13. #33
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    My 'real' FXR...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_YAR_0854.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	337.7 KB 
ID:	98985
    You don't need to put the marks around real. It's the other one that should get them.
    Actually I agree with almost all Farmall says.
    Also it would sound weird to say my FXR 'style' bike so call it what you like, it's wicked nice!

  14. #34
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,474

    Default

    No offence. Thanks also! My FXR is real in that, if I had to sell all my rides bar one, it would be the keeper.
    I ride 300 mile days out (remember this is the UK-it's small) , commute, poker and other runs and just occasionally go out for a blast on this bike.

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    I'll correct people in applicable threads if they call their bike an FXR because they may otherwise misidentify parts. What the average shmuck on the street calls them matters little and it's better for us buyers when they get confused and use "Low Rider" or "Dyna" in their adverts. I search those terms looking for free wow essay service FXRs and found my last one that way. That one of course is an upgrade like what Rickman and Seeley used to do for other bikes. Chopper FXR-style frames are just random crap styling exercises to use up surplus bagger drivetrains but choppers aren't supposed to handle since custom builders want pretty, flexy, stripped steering heads instead of reinforcement. (I just fondled a Chopper Guys frame at a swap meet and they're a joke.)

    An FXR by definition fo course uses an FXR factory frame. Custom definitions are pretty loose so an FXR mounting system/drivetrain design is close enough for that purpose but technically should be "FXR-style" frame.

    The M8 FXR model is technically an FXR... I call that good too because I'd like the FXR cult status to go away so frames and bikes are cheaper. FXR riders don't benefit from more expensive bikes. The good old days of chopping were when buyers didn't want old HDs!
    I want to buy M8 FXR model for my husband. We have anniversary soon. I guess it's good choice. Hope so

  16. #36
    tzienlee
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    Nice! I wanted a 45 big at that time. Some cat called Ian near Weymouth had a shitload of 45 stuff for sale back then.
    I spent the majority of the 1980's broke, but had a T100 in the early eighties and one of the first evo sportsters in the mid-late eighties.

    Coolest 45 based ride in the UK for me at the time was Sweetpea's 45 magnum bobber. He used to work in the Drag Speciailites warehouse in London for Jake Allport (RIP)

    This is someone elses, but it is cool..

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harley 45-magnum.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	98977
    Iain in Weymouth was Iain Cotterell, a great fella, had tons of 45 & Jeep parts, I bought a frame, a Transmission and enough motor parts from him to rebuild a 45 back in about 77-78,.. he had a Tea chest filled with new military Linkert carbs, just put ya hand in and pull out a lovely new carb for 75 !!… during WW2, the Yanks had a field engineers unit based in a quarry in town, When they pulled out for D-Day, they loaded their trucks with everything they could carry after they buried the rest by filling in the quarry with bulldozers, the land was then used as Weymouth Football club as their home ground pitch, when the football club either moved or shut down, Iain got permission to dig there before the developers got on site to build whatever the land was sold for, out of it he dug up many crates of Jeep & Harley parts, all brand new and wrapped in Cosmoline, he got all sorts of motor parts, the Carbs, Jeep motors and axles, 45 frames, tanks, basically everything to build about 30 bikes and maybe 6-7 Jeeps plus a feckin big winch he reckoned was from a battlefield recovery vehicle or the like, last I heard he was in London but now he will be in his 80's I guess, back in 91 I got a set of Knucklehead cylinders off of him for next to nothing, a real Gent as we say.... great times, I also remember Jake from his shop 'Jakes Motiques'' in Chertsey near Heathrow, lots of good parts and bikes, I heard he died a few years ago, sad, he was a good fella
    Last edited by tzienlee; 01-31-2020 at 3:09 PM.

  17. #37
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladycroft View Post
    I want to buy M8 FXR model for my husband. We have anniversary soon. I guess it's good choice. Hope so
    hmmm... keepin' an eye on this one.
    A handful of spam smelling posts so far.
    Last edited by hillcat; 01-31-2020 at 3:04 PM. Reason: @ tzienlee - great story!

  18. #38
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    170

  19. #39

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    157

    Default

    [QUOTE=farmall;835138] (I just fondled a Chopper Guys frame at a swap meet and they're a joke.)
    What's wrong with the Chopper Guys frame??

  20. #40
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9,769

    Default

    [QUOTE=1954bmw;837981]
    Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    (I just fondled a Chopper Guys frame at a swap meet and they're a joke.)
    What's wrong with the Chopper Guys frame??
    OOPS, I miswrote! I fondled a KRAFTECH frame which doesn't incorporate the FXR rear structure and is much lighter and weaker. Post edited to fix the error. The Kraftech is much lighter and lacks the neck reinforcement critical to FXR stiffness.

    My apologies for the mistake! The CG frame appears to be similar enough to the original. (FXRs are cheap enough buying one for the frame is often a better deal than going with a new frame unless you have a bagger drivetrain or Twin Cam to recycle, but for some that's not an option.)
    Last edited by farmall; 01-31-2020 at 7:51 PM.

Share This



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in