Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flatman
    • Sep 2017

When I read the headline I thought the question was gonna be about fuel restriction at the 90 degree elbow. Not to agitate but my experience has been that anything loose in the fuel line set up usually leaks, Thats why I like rubber hose and hose clamps,

Comment

• TwoSheds
      • Nov 2012

nothing lasts forever.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Traditional carbs infrequently have that sort of pivoting fitting. It's a later addition by S&S and natural as their carb fits a variety of bikes, but most carbs have fixed designs. Some Amals have swappable float bowl banjo fittings but their design is obvious by their external shape.

I have studied engines and machinery in general since childhood (I'm 60) and that S&S fitting is kind of an odd duck for a carb. It would not be odd in the industrial hydraulic world where pivoting fittings abound.

It resembles a MUCH more common fixed, not rotating, brass nut/steel tube arrangement used for flared and ferruled compression fitting tubing with no external evidence otherwise unless it's examined "outer end up" that it isn't. Similar brass compression fittings are used on copper plumbing where most Americans encounter them. Such fittings likely exist in the billions vs tens of thousands (maybe more?) of S&S carbs.

S&S also sell the old fixed fitting.

Comment

• TwoSheds
          • Nov 2012

The mikuni HSR series also has a rotatable fuel inlet and between the two (S&S and Mikuni), comprise the bulk of aftermarket carbs installed on Harley's. The Super carbs didn't come with the rotatable fuel inlet at first, but I have retrofitted dozens of them.

Comment

• TwoSheds
            • Nov 2012

supposedly 500,000 (yes 1/2 a million) super carbs have been sold

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by TwoSheds
              supposedly 500,000 (yes 1/2 a million) super carbs have been sold
              500,000 SHORTIES
              Midway through the year S&S sells its 500,000 Super Shorty carburetor.

That was in 2004 .. Wonder what the number is now 15 years later .. ??
              Last edited by Dragstews; 11-19-2019, 11:00 PM.
              Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

With that kind of cash flow they should bring back their pre-Super B line of carbs. Holley still make vintage automobile carb replacements.

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by farmall
                  With that kind of cash flow they should bring back their pre-Super B line of carbs. Holley still make vintage automobile carb replacements.
                  Only 5 Super-B's on the shelf left to sell, after they are gone ...
                  End of run for the "B's ... Been in production since 1975 ..

And V-T has the L-Series back on line .. (Imported)

Replica carburetor assembly features original design of the 1960's features a natural bright finish aluminum, as pictured.
                  *NOTE: Accepts S&S 3 bolt pattern air cleaners, air snoots or velocity stacks. For use with 80 cubic inch motors and above. Assembled in USA of Imported components. *NOTE: Includes all parts assembled as picture. Must order manifold, air cleaner and related components separately.

I sold one of the re-pops not long ago ...
                  Was digging how well the casting was done, must have been pressure casted unlike the sand cast that S&S did ...
                  Last edited by Dragstews; 11-20-2019, 3:09 AM.

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

Those carbs are so simple only sloth would be an excuse for a bad one. Good that Ted is apparently pushing for better quality since China can certainly produce it if the customer requires it. (Honda have subbed out production of many models there for a long time.)

Comment

• tzienlee
                      • Apr 2024

I don't like S&S carbs at all,... had fuck all but grief with them,...
                      out dated inefficient, WELL OVERPRICED boat anchors,...
                      even Noah used them as fishing weights off of the Ark !!!
                      & if Taiwan Ted is making them now, I would trust them even less,.. the useless shit he pedals is a disgrace to engineers from year 1 !!!
                      many many FAR better carbs out there that don't rely on 70 odd year bean can technology,....
                      SU, MIKUNI, AMAL, HD CV, LECTRON, DELORTO, EDELBROCK, BENDIX, ETC ETC ETC...…
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2019, 9:22 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                        • Sep 2010

Two CC members that I know of has the S&S L Series on their scoots ...
                        Tattoo is running one on his Chopped Knuck and BBQ on his 65 Chopped Pan ...

Wonder what their take would be for this antiquated carb .. ??

I too will be running a Super B very soon, taking off a HD-6 SU in lure of ...

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dragstews
                          Two CC members that I know of has the S&S L Series on their scoots ...
                          Tattoo is running one on his Chopped Knuck and BBQ on his 65 Chopped Pan ...

Wonder what their take would be for this antiquated carb .. ??
                          I have a L on my Pan bobber and a Super B on my Knuck I think it is.............

I think the L is great.............

Comment

• docmel
                            • May 2015

I have a question, I ask it, period. A loose fitting that supplies fuel, at least to me, begs an initial question. That's what this board is about

Comment

• vonhelmet
                              • May 2010

You wanted to know and you asked, good for you, thats how ALL of us learned. Dont let some of the self important fucktards on here discourage you.

Comment

• Dragstews
                                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by docmel
                                I have a question, I ask it, period. A loose fitting that supplies fuel, at least to me, begs an initial question. That's what this board is about
                                Sometimes ya get more than what ya asked for ...

We like to talk on this board
                                (Some of us way to dang much.. Me included ) ..

Say if ya wanna get a bit trick with running a braided fuel line an do away with the 360* fuel inlet, there's this ....

Ya see what I mean .. ??
                                Last edited by Dragstews; 11-20-2019, 1:27 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;