CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default SS E Carb with 90 degree fuel inlet

The 90 degree fuel inlet on my new, out of the box SS E carb, which I haven't mounted yet, seems a little loose. I can wiggle it just a tad: Is this normal, or can I expect a leak when I munt and hook up this carb?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by docmel View Post
    The 90 degree fuel inlet on my new, out of the box SS E carb, which I haven't mounted yet, seems a little loose. I can wiggle it just a tad: Is this normal, or can I expect a leak when I munt and hook up this carb?
    Post a pic of it..............
    Last edited by Tattooo; 11-19-2019 at 8:13 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

They wiggle a bit and are rotatable. Don't be so nervous

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't blame you for being concerned.......... It contains GAS/a flammable liquid after all..................

Get Adobe Flash player

gas is flammable?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSheds View Post
    They wiggle a bit and are rotatable. Don't be so nervous
    There will be some movement cause they are working with Rubber O-Rings ...

Get Adobe Flash player

Bottom view. A fixed 90 wouldn't permit precise clocking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SS swivel bottom view.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSheds View Post
    gas is flammable?
    Nope not at all, I don't see a concern............

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    There will be some movement cause they are working with Rubber O-Rings ...
    Thanks for clearing that up.........

How would the OP know that hence his question?

Get Adobe Flash player

because it is fucking obvious.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm sure it is if you were to take it apart............. But to someone that doesn't know wouldn't know........

Get Adobe Flash player

The simple understanding of how things work, you know, the basic mechanical foundation of working on your own machine should be a guide. Like how oil is slippery, and wheels have to rotate on some sort of bearing. How does electricity rely on power and ground? These things are sort of elemental components of working on your own bike. A fuel inlet that is brand new and moves around should conjure up (in my opinion) a mental picture of understanding it's internal workings. Why wouldn't it leak? and how can it rotate? perhaps there is some component mechanism that would allow for both? I don't know...maybe something rubber and round, but also sort of thin so as not to take up too much space, and also resistant to fuel....

Get Adobe Flash player

While asking is perfectly OK and we all start somewhere, the lesson is that the first thing to do when curious about a machine is see how it works using available tech data, but that would not have saved OP without other related fitting and system knowledge old fucks like ourselves take for granted.

Unfortunately there is a gap in S&S tech data (I checked) which does not show that pivoting fuel fitting in parts, probably because it is sold as a unit.

https://www.sscycle.com/docs/default...t.pdf?sfvrsn=2 shows the swap but not the internals.

Study everything mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic and not just motorcycles in order to see all machinery as a doctor sees a patient. When the light comes on you'll see the magnificent technological universe, not just the parts. Not everyone will have studied machinery since childhood.

OP should keep asking. There are few mentors left and every question is opportunity for explanation which will help others.

What I infer from that fitting is the tube has a rolled surface expanded like a ferrule or is grooved for an internal clip, is sealed by O-rings, and capped by a washer which is held by a circlip. (I've never had a leaker to cut apart or I'd post precisely.)
    Brain exercise for the mechanics here, trace back how you learned to "see" this way.
    Last edited by farmall; 11-19-2019 at 8:37 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

OP should keep asking. There are few mentors left and every question is opportunity for explanation which will help others.
    That's exactly what I've been trying to do.... Man it's hard sometimes but I'm trying............
    Like you've said before we all have to learn and we didn't start out knowing it all in the beginning............. It's hard for me to believe..... LOL

I agree the OP should keep asking questions......

Get Adobe Flash player

Doesn't it seem as though a person who is confident enough to install and potentially tune a carb, which is a fairly complex task, might have a reasonably firm understanding of the basic mechanical workings of machines? I don't think that is an unreasonable idea.

I understand that my growth of knowledge was aided primarily with asking questions (of myself often, but clearly from those who knew) and I also understand that this whole forum if concerned with seeking knowledge and teaching. I do sometimes get frustrated by questions that seem somehow out of sequence. I am not trying to shame a person for asking a question, and my language may be clumsy, but isn't part of learning about the world sort of an exercise in learning about yourself? Walking before we run to use an old metaphor.

When I read the headline I thought the question was gonna be about fuel restriction at the 90 degree elbow. Not to agitate but my experience has been that anything loose in the fuel line set up usually leaks, Thats why I like rubber hose and hose clamps,

Get Adobe Flash player

nothing lasts forever.

Get Adobe Flash player

Traditional carbs infrequently have that sort of pivoting fitting. It's a later addition by S&S and natural as their carb fits a variety of bikes, but most carbs have fixed designs. Some Amals have swappable float bowl banjo fittings but their design is obvious by their external shape.

I have studied engines and machinery in general since childhood (I'm 60) and that S&S fitting is kind of an odd duck for a carb. It would not be odd in the industrial hydraulic world where pivoting fittings abound.

It resembles a MUCH more common fixed, not rotating, brass nut/steel tube arrangement used for flared and ferruled compression fitting tubing with no external evidence otherwise unless it's examined "outer end up" that it isn't. Similar brass compression fittings are used on copper plumbing where most Americans encounter them. Such fittings likely exist in the billions vs tens of thousands (maybe more?) of S&S carbs.

S&S also sell the old fixed fitting.

Get Adobe Flash player

The mikuni HSR series also has a rotatable fuel inlet and between the two (S&S and Mikuni), comprise the bulk of aftermarket carbs installed on Harley's. The Super carbs didn't come with the rotatable fuel inlet at first, but I have retrofitted dozens of them.

Get Adobe Flash player

supposedly 500,000 (yes 1/2 a million) super carbs have been sold

Share This