Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dnick
    • Aug 2019

DIY seats?

Anyone made their own seat? I'm thinking about creating one for my sportster and would love any tips/suggestions about what foam to use, and how you fastened it to the chassis!
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

Seen this:

Chopper Builders Handbook
    Builders Series
    *How to Make Custom Chopper Saddles*

"This is an article I’ve wanted to do for several years now and in the true tradition of the
    Chopper Builders Handbook, we’re going to show the nitty-gritty details on how to get
    the job done effectively, and not just a few pictures of some guy putting together bits of foam and leather...if you’re just starting out the basic fundamentals as outlined herein at least provide a solid foundation of information to build upon."

If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
      • Jan 2015

I always like to make my own. Here's a disorganized thread on my latest sportster chop seat.

Just how i did it this time. I like to use an old fender for the back section so it hugs the bikes fender perfectly. Then I've learned to account for the backbone section at the front of the seat. Ultimately seat will clip to the seat area cross bar of the frame using spring clips like the kind that might hold a mop on the

I use foam camping roll/excercise mat from walmart. I like the squishy closed cell stuff. There is better foam put there of course. I always make the pan from cardboard first and use an old fender to make the rear section that contours the bikes fender like 2 spoons in a drawer.

Put the foam on with 3m adhesive spray and shave with electric turkey knife.

Comment

• dnmccoy
        • Jul 2019

Thanks for the article, im on the fence on getting rid of my spring seat for a foam solo seat, if I do change it out Id like to make my own and have someone wrap it for me

Comment

• Dnick
          • Aug 2019

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
          Seen this:

Chopper Builders Handbook
          Builders Series
          *How to Make Custom Chopper Saddles*

"This is an article I’ve wanted to do for several years now and in the true tradition of the
          Chopper Builders Handbook, we’re going to show the nitty-gritty details on how to get
          the job done effectively, and not just a few pictures of some guy putting together bits of foam and leather...if you’re just starting out the basic fundamentals as outlined herein at least provide a solid foundation of information to build upon."

https://www.chopperhandbook.com/saddle-making.pdf
          Thank you this is very helpful

Comment

• Dnick
            • Aug 2019

Originally posted by BlackCloudSalvage
            I always like to make my own. Here's a disorganized thread on my latest sportster chop seat.

Just how i did it this time. I like to use an old fender for the back section so it hugs the bikes fender perfectly. Then I've learned to account for the backbone section at the front of the seat. Ultimately seat will clip to the seat area cross bar of the frame using spring clips like the kind that might hold a mop on the

I use foam camping roll/excercise mat from walmart. I like the squishy closed cell stuff. There is better foam put there of course. I always make the pan from cardboard first and use an old fender to make the rear section that contours the bikes fender like 2 spoons in a drawer.

Put the foam on with 3m adhesive spray and shave with electric turkey knife.
            Thank you!

Comment

• MOTher
              • Sep 2012

Bought a bike once, rigid frame, had a seat made from three straight boards. One for the rider's seat, one that went from there up to where the passenger portion started and one for the passenger sat. The guy had done a nice job with the foam and cover, and it wasn't particularly uncomfortable. The weird part was the gap between the fender and the second joint of the seat.

Comment

• Amil91
                • Nov 2014

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190711_201854.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	1313296
                I made this cobra seat, used 16g sheet metal, used 2in rebond foam, used 3m adhesive to glue the foam to seat pan, and i sent it out to get upholstered

Comment

• Beserker01
                  • May 2020

Yes, I replaced my old seat as it was really uncomfortable. Used a medium feel high density upholstery foam and it feels so much better now.

Comment

• markwade74
                    • Mar 2012

Tried my hand at it couple times, didn't turn out well either time. Upholstery ain't my gig

Comment

• Davestune
                      • May 2014

i took a ultima seat , ever sit on one, its like a curve thing that ya never feel comfy it.
                      I ripped the cover off and shaved the foam, then I went to apolstry shop in town , said tuck and roll please.
                      Im going to make my own seats from now on, via fiberglass or sheetmetal. then send them out. dont look like no shitty ultima seas no mo

Name:	20200527_185554.jpg
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	1318785

Comment

• ac72rat
                        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Dnick
                        Anyone made their own seat? I'm thinking about creating one for my sportster and would love any tips/suggestions about what foam to use, and how you fastened it to the chassis!
                        yield sign O/L yoga mat + leather jacketClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC04027_zpsbf4becb8.jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1319192
                        Attached Files

Comment

• EVILBLACKSABRE
                          • Dec 2013

I start with a piece of 3/16" thick aluminum plate, cut out the shape I want, then hammer on it with a ballpeen hammer until I get the curvature I want. The pan ends up looking like shit from all the hammer marks, I don't have an English wheel to smooth them out, but once it's covered and mounted on the bike no one can see the pan, so it really doesn't matter how it looks.

For padding, Walmart sells these individual 3/4" thick black foam seat cushions in their camping department. The thickness and density are perfect. They are seat cushions after all.

I drill and tap 8-32 holes around the edge of the pan and use screws with washers to attach the marine vinyl cover from the underside.

I rubber-mount the seats with 1/4" pieces of 80 durometer rubber.

I've made two seats this way. One on the bike in my avatar.
                          Last edited by EVILBLACKSABRE; 07-15-2021, 12:08 AM.

Comment

• 7and7is
                            • Dec 2012

This is a home made seat that came with the bike when I bought it, it has a fiberglass base with a 1/8" x 2" flat steel bar running through it and the cushion is basically glued on the top and gorilla tape on the bottom, I built the seat pad out of some bleacher foam cushion.

Name:	20210525_121503.jpg
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	1319298
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Spade115
                              • May 2010

7and7is, Really like the simplicity of that seat. real nice.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;