Softail rear brake on 4-speed rigid help?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbswear
    • Jul 2013

Softail rear brake on 4-speed rigid help?

I'm running a disc rear brake on my 4-speed rigid Shovel project.

I recently was told that running a bolt through the caliper and using it as a stay won't work under braking--the bolt will bend. I was told I'll need to weld a tab on the frame to hold the caliper in place.

Have any of you done this? Can you post up pics of how you did it?

I have the caliper mounted and the wheel centered/chain aligned. Fitment isn't a problem. Securing the caliper against rotation forces is what I'm facing.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jbswear
    Have any of you done this? Can you post up pics of how you did it?
    Sure we have...... Every caliper has a stop...........

Better yet you need to post a pic of what you are working with so we don't have to guess......

Comment

• Jakerz
      • Mar 2019

Something like this would work: https://www.billetproofdesign.com/bi...r-made-in-usa/

Not sure if a stock HD caliper will work with that bracket though, I'm using one from SpeedKing Racing that's steel and looks a bit different running two rear calipers on my build, with 2 PM calipers.

Jake

Comment

• Tater66
        • Mar 2019

If you are using a 2000 and up brake caliper then look for the weld on bracket.
        There use to be a bunch online for sale but I dont see them much anymore. They are notched to fit the frame.
        Caliper cut out rides on the newly welded in piece. Super simple and easy to install. Finding one is the hard part

Comment

• Tater66
          • Mar 2019

Found 1

Comment

• jbswear
            • Jul 2013

Sorry gents. Tried to upload a pic earlier on my phone. Wouldn't work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190810-201045_eBay.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	1312522

That's what I'm running.

If the item linked above is what I need I'll order it.

Thanks!

Comment

• jbswear
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Tattooo
              If?????? That's what I'm talking about............ He needs to do some home work so we can help him...........
              Dude, I've been doing homework on this thing for years. With the help of others I've built a bike from scratch. "Homework" is asking questions. Then somebody says, hey, we need "xxx" information to help.

Then I provide that information.

And progress continues.
              Last edited by jbswear; 08-10-2019, 6:36 PM.

Comment

• andri
                • Mar 2012

I used a 2003 softail caliper on my hardtail. What I did was just fit it on the axle in the frame and then made a L-shaped piece mimicing the anchor that is on the softail swingarms and welded it in place using the caliper as a guide to get the location right.
                Just have a look at how the stop is on the softails and make one like it.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jbswear
                  Dude, I've been doing homework on this thing for years. With the help of others I've built a bike from scratch. "Homework" is asking questions. Then somebody says, hey, we need "xxx" information to help.

Then I provide that information.

And progress continues.
                  Yes you are correct.......

How many years you been building the bike???? How about posting a pic of your project???
                  Last edited by Tattooo; 08-19-2019, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• jbswear
                    • Jul 2013

Here's the build thread.

Hi, folks. I just found out about this site a few days ago. I've been working on rebuilding a dead chopper my dad built back in '75 for several years, and just *might* get it running by this fall. Here's the basic history: He bought a crated FLH engine from a Harley dealership in California in 1975 and built a bike around

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

If you have access to a proper welding machine and what goes with it you can save money and easily make your own bracket from suitable flat bar. This is a job for a decent MIG machine though if you have a cheap FCAW box you can prep the parts and tack them for welding elsewhere.

An aftermarket bracket may or may not match your SPECIFIC use case. Not every similar frame tube is the same distance from centerline! Cardboard is a great way to make patterns you can know will work. Check out your local metal supplier rather than hardware stores. Steel is cheap and most have plenty of cutoff pieces for small money.

Every experienced wrench has been bitten by "simple" appearing jobs. I'd completely install the rear wheel before tacking whatever bracket you use.

Comment

• jbswear
                        • Jul 2013

Yeah man, that's the plan. If somebody will let me know that bracket above will work for my application, I'll order it. If it needs some massaging to make it fit, I'll do that.

I have a crappy little 110V welder, which will be enough to tack this into place and then take it to a professional. I can't justify the purchase of a 220V machine right now.

Comment

• farmall
                          • Apr 2013

If you want to wing it you could order the bracket and modify if needed. Pic of the installed rear wheel with new caliper in position would help.

Have you shown your welder this thread? If not, I would because if he's a pro he could EASILY make a totally correct part on the spot. That's pure win.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                            • Dec 2017

Great build thread ya got there.

Name:	brads shovel chop brake.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1312533
                            A bracket that bolts tight to the caliper won't bend.
                            Looks like you already cut off the slotted tab on your caliper that the above linked weld-on bracket would slide into. I think a slot equal to the axle movement with a 90 degree tab with two round 'cutouts' welded to the inside of the frame would be strong and clean...I can see it but can't describe it well.
                            Sometimes I overthink shit; even just a tab like this with a solid spacer would work:

Name:	Wild_West_Brake_Caliper_Tab-379x263.jpg
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	1312534
                            Last edited by TriNortchopz; 08-11-2019, 12:37 AM. Reason: no
                            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
                              • Jan 2015

Essential u just need a good 1/4" piece of plate steel welded to the frame. It's really nothing special. Needs to be long enough to catch caliper while axle is in any location in axle plates (full forward or back). You can fill weld or mold it in to make it look nice. On the other hand haifley bros makes a brake tab bracket kit for their sportster kits that I've used. It allows u to adjust the stay for when u move your wheel back or forward for chain tension. I'll send pics of my setup on my rigid shovel and my sportster.

Link to haifley part
                              haifleybrothers.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, haifleybrothers.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;