Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hardleyableson1996
    • Sep 2016

Need springer help

Anybody know what size springer is on this sporty?as well as rear wheel size.cant find any other pictures of this thing or the owner but its sweet and i want specs to build mine similarClick image for larger version

Name:	da6628b93cd58d7fa08dbb67fd400c9b.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	1345383
    Last edited by hardleyableson1996; 06-30-2019, 9:36 PM.
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

It's not so much springer help ya want, it's more like guess the bike part...

Rear wheel looks like the typical 5.10x16 or 130/90x16 (aka MT90x16), scale the front end from what you know...rear wheel is a 16", front looks to be a 21"...maybe a 3.00...got any tires to measure?

Here is a tire conversion chart:

Using RB Racing Tire Calculator,
    a 130/90x16 tire has a height of 25.21" ,
    a 3.00 x21 (90/90x21) = 27.38"tall;
    a 3.25x21(100/90x21) = 28.09" tall.
    tire diameter, calculator, Bonneville, rim, aspect ratio, section width

See springer length chart, from -4 to +16 on this page: http://www.thompsonchoppers.com/spri...rks-frontends/
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Springer length_chart1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	1311830
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 07-01-2019, 12:50 AM. Reason: tire calculator
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Sugarcubes
      • Apr 2024

rear wheel is a stock 16 by the looks of it. Just seems bigger because of the whitewall tyre.
      Springer length varies depending on manufacturer. That looks like a DNA type and if i remember, they list "stock" length as a good bit over what harley traditionally list as "stock length" (20").

My re-pop harley style springer on my ironhead looked to be pretty much the exact same length as above and gave just a little kick up at the front. It was a 4 over (24") springer.

Comment

• hardleyableson1996
        • Sep 2016

Yeah that kick on the underside of the frame is what I like not too much and not too little but stock length is 24 on a sporty?

Comment

• 53panhead
          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by hardleyableson1996
          Yeah that kick on the underside of the frame is what I like not too much
          Are you talking about the exhaust bracket?

Comment

• hardleyableson1996
            • Sep 2016

Originally posted by 53panhead
            Are you talking about the exhaust bracket?
            no im talking about the stance of the frame how the 16 inch rear and the height of the springer make the frame sit a certain way

Comment

• hardleyableson1996
              • Sep 2016

Originally posted by TriNortchopz

Rear wheel looks like the typical 5.10x16 or 130/90x16 (aka MT90x16), scale the front end from what you know...rear wheel is a 16", front looks to be a 21"...maybe a 3.00...got any tires to measure?

See springer length chart, from -4 to +16 on this page: http://www.thompsonchoppers.com/spri...rks-frontends/
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]95312[/ATTACH]
              Alright lets say knowing it has a mt90/16 rear, with 10.5 inch slammed shocks in the rear and a 90/90-21 in the front what would you take away from this as the length of the springer? my friend thinks its stock or 2 over max

Comment

• 53panhead
                • Apr 2017

Originally posted by hardleyableson1996
                no im talking about the stance of the frame how the 16 inch rear and the height of the springer make the frame sit a certain way
                I understand now you like it to sit about flat with a little rake me too.

Comment

• hardleyableson1996
                  • Sep 2016

Originally posted by TriNortchopz

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95312[/ATTACH]
                  Alright lets say knowing it has a mt90/16 rear, with 10.5 inch slammed shocks in the rear and a 90/90-21 in the front what would you take away from this as the length of the springer? my friend thinks its stock or 2 over max

Comment

• Sugarcubes
                    • Apr 2024

So old harley springers for knucks / flattys etc considered 'stock' length to be 20" so if you buy a vintage harley replica in stock length this is what you are getting. DNA and some others actually have 22" as their "stock offering" which would actually be +2"over compared to a harley springer. My ironhead ran a hardtailed 79' frame with stock rake / neck and an 18" rear with 21" front, 4" over harley springer.
                    If you are running shocks on a stock frame, the back end may still sit a little higher than a rigid, even so, with a 16" rear tyre im still gonna say what you want is a 24" length springer to achieve that slightly jacked up stance. Too much looks stupid on a sporty as they are too short in the back.

Comment

• hardleyableson1996
                      • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Sugarcubes
                      So old harley springers for knucks / flattys etc considered 'stock' length to be 20" so if you buy a vintage harley replica in stock length this is what you are getting. DNA and some others actually have 22" as their "stock offering" which would actually be +2"over compared to a harley springer. My ironhead ran a hardtailed 79' frame with stock rake / neck and an 18" rear with 21" front, 4" over harley springer.
                      If you are running shocks on a stock frame, the back end may still sit a little higher than a rigid, even so, with a 16" rear tyre im still gonna say what you want is a 24" length springer to achieve that slightly jacked up stance. Too much looks stupid on a sporty as they are too short in the back.
                      Thank you that's the exact info I was looking for man!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;