CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Trike ideas!

Default Trike ideas!

I've got this Ironhead I don't really know what do to with.. I've always wanted a trike with the whole roof thing going on. Something like JP Rodman's Knuck. Is there a better name for this style?

I've been searching online, with no luck for project threads on trikes in general. Just come up with the trendy drift trike crap.
    Anyone here know a nice project thread on some forum about building a trike with a Harley as a base?

Also, can someone suggest a rear axle that would work with something like this? I've seen the DNA and other kits, but I dunno.. I'd rather build something myself. Servicar parts are way out of my price range and super rare where I'm located (Finland).

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Unless you went carbon fiber that is a lot of weight to pull around with a Sporty motor and trans.

Damn cool looking trike, has a serious 70s California vibe to it.

Let us know what you find.

-DB

Get Adobe Flash player

Lots of threads on this Trike Talk forum, different styles...might get some ideas and find one that you like...
    Forum: Trike Builds
    https://www.triketalk.com/forum/forums/274-Trike-Builds

which includes this thread: Sportster Chopper Trike Build
    https://www.triketalk.com/forum/thre...er-Trike-Build
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 05-31-2019 at 8:07 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thank you so much TriNort!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Since you are in Europe, you could consider a Reliant based trike-surely would solve a lot of the mech issues (especially cost for rear axle) And they used to haul a body! Trike people here often use shaft drive bikes like the Suzuki GS to provide an engine and box to use with this axle.

Still want to use the sportster motor? A number of trike shops in the UK have diff coversion kits to adapt european car axles to chain drive. The Reliant axle is one that has been converted.

Reliant based trike:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flapcutout.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	94334

A Reliant (yeah-it's a total spaz chariot)

Name:	1992_reliant_robin_lx_1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	94335
    Last edited by Hoghead; 06-01-2019 at 12:54 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's the JJ thread with trike pictures, there was actually a guy building a reeeeeeally long front ended one on there too but I can't seem to find it.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.joc...howall=1&amp=1

Seems like the shape with just the tall seat is a Roth or Himsl body. Might help with your searches. The guy at the end of this thread actually sells them
    https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/...7&page=6&amp=1
    Last edited by AusAndrew; 06-01-2019 at 2:32 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

The style is referred to as a "C cab" from the ancient trucks where it originated. The C cab was abandoned as vehicle speeds increased in the 1930s.
    Googling that will get many cab pics as it was quite popular with custom car guys.

They look cool but act like a drag chute on the road with considerable turbulence inside the cab. I was re-reminded of this helping my bro with his C cab rat rod. Like many things which are done purely for appearance some sacrifice is involved and new builders should be aware of that.

tzienlee

HArley made 18 Knucks like this for the army as a go anywhere, do anything vehicle,
    i'm not in to trikes, but I would walk a mile or two for an off roader like this with big dumper truck tyres etc.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails k trike 1.jpg   k trike 3.jpg   k trike 21.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Rage of Aquarius

Name:	trike, Rage of Aquarius.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	94361

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    The style is referred to as a "C cab" from the ancient trucks where it originated. The C cab was abandoned as vehicle speeds increased in the 1930s.
    Googling that will get many cab pics as it was quite popular with custom car guys.

They look cool but act like a drag chute on the road with considerable turbulence inside the cab. I was re-reminded of this helping my bro with his C cab rat rod. Like many things which are done purely for appearance some sacrifice is involved and new builders should be aware of that.
    Thanks for this!
    I'm sure it'll be noisy and miserable any style I build it.
    I have my road tripping bikes, so I want something radical and fun now. We'll see, the rear axle is proving to be a real bitch to source. There's just no way I'm paying more for an axle than I've got in the bike so far.

Quote Originally Posted by tzienlee View Post
    HArley made 18 Knucks like this for the army as a go anywhere, do anything vehicle,
    i'm not in to trikes, but I would walk a mile or two for an off roader like this with big dumper truck tyres etc.....
    Sweet mother of all things holy! I need me one of these!

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    Rage of Aquarius

Name:	trike, Rage of Aquarius.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	94361
    I love the Corvette wheels, I might have to do that.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ryan Grossman's C-Cab.

This thing is awesome. Starts about half way through the video. Keep watching they show more of it.

https://youtu.be/LdreAuIBI2c

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloudSalvage View Post
    Ryan Grossman's C-Cab.

This thing is awesome. Starts about half way through the video. Keep watching they show more of it.

https://youtu.be/LdreAuIBI2c
    Hell yeah, this is the video that made me want a trike when I saw it way back. It's just so gorgeous!

Get Adobe Flash player

You could cut down and run a car differential as a 90-degree and drive it by chain instead of shaft. That would give you a shaft output to drive a common De Dion style rear axle. Many small farmers with little money used to do that (driven with shafts rather than sprockets) to obtain "brush hog" and other 90-degree geared heads for farm and commercial mowing equipment. You could also use an appropriate farm equipment 90-degree gearbox. They take serious abuse in farm work and since you don't hold up a trike the weight isn't an issue. Remember farm tractor HP ratings are different than motorcycle HP ratings because tractors have deep gear reduction and output serious torque.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    You could cut down and run a car differential as a 90-degree and drive it by chain instead of shaft. That would give you a shaft output to drive a common De Dion style rear axle. Many small farmers with little money used to do that (driven with shafts rather than sprockets) to obtain "brush hog" and other 90-degree geared heads for farm and commercial mowing equipment. You could also use an appropriate farm equipment 90-degree gearbox. They take serious abuse in farm work and since you don't hold up a trike the weight isn't an issue. Remember farm tractor HP ratings are different than motorcycle HP ratings because tractors have deep gear reduction and output serious torque.
    I've actually been thinking of doing this. I have a Suzuki Jimny rear axle and I think I have a Dana 30 somewhere.
    The Suzuki axle is light and small. The Dana is as common as shit on a gastation restroom's floor, so maybe people have already adapted them to similar contraptions. There's a tractor mechanic close to my garage, maybe he can help me out.

Another idea I've had is to buy a clapped out ATV (plenty of them around) and rip the rear out of it.
    Last edited by Down; 06-03-2019 at 9:56 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Did you ever find the info you are looking for? I am building a trike using the rear diff from a Mazda MX5. This is a plywood mock up I will have the parts cut out of 3/8" steel plate on a waterjet.

Name:	Chain Drive Diff Mock Up 001.jpeg 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	108692

Get Adobe Flash player

Name:	Chain Drive Diff Mock Up 002.jpeg 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	108693

Name:	Chain Drive Diff Mock Up 003.jpeg 
Views:	2 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	108694

Share This