Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dowood1
    • May 2019

Phoned the local battery depot today and they said that nearly all batteries will drop in voltage like that .
    It’s the drop in power that really matters , so I’ll have to take it down There and see how it fairs

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

They could do a load test on your battery for you, but there are a few tests you can do yourself first- it may be your starter that is the problem.
      What type of battery you got - regular lead acid(electrolyte level? specific gravity?), AGM or a lithium?
      Bit of easy reading here with a couple of tests...again, make sure all connections are clean and that your grounds are well grounded.

Installation, Testing and Maintenance of Motorcycle and Powersport Batteries
      Information guide on battery installation, testing and maintenance for motorcycle, powersport and bike batteries

a chart in here with voltage and state of charge:
      How do you know if your problem is really your battery? How do you know when it's time for replacement? Here's how to test.
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• dowood1
        • May 2019

Thanks for your help again TriNortchopz ,
        Got them to do the load test and was sposed to read 10v upwards under load , mine managed to make about 7.5v and was nearly flat afterwards lol.So it’s been junked and I got a new one which also has a higher cca
        It now spins the engine over happily ! !

Comment

• dowood1
          • May 2019

Thinking of using a strut till I can afford to modify the swinging arm / frame .
          Possibly simply by using an ally bar drilled at both ends with it looks like spacers at one end .
          Haven’t measured the bushes as yet , would that be strong enough ! It looks like some replacement shocks are ally bodied ,
          Trying to avoid welding here , as I can’t find a cheap welder or someone local that I can trust to weld it at this point in time

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

A billet aluminum strut should work good, just use a good grade of material, such as 6061-T6; here is an example of 1" thick billet aluminum struts:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	muWmPfAUN_r50GZ3tFDoeaw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	1310665
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• dowood1
              • May 2019

Ok that’s great , thanks for the info .
              Will have to get measuring up now !

Comment

• Skjoll
                • Oct 2018

Originally posted by dowood1
                I also seem to be considering a single carb conversion as I have already bought an SU carburettor to fit , in the near future whenever that may be !
                The SU is a great carburetor but getting the right sized jets and needles can be a bear depending on the model SU you have. This may be a good resource: https://sucarb.co.uk/technical-carburetters

I usually see the side draft single carb conversions but I'm looking to do a single down draft on my 650 using one of the original CVs and rejetting it to use a pod filter tucked away under the tank. That should clean up the right side of the bike quite a bit. I'm also welding up a final 2-1 exhaust for it... the quick and ugly protoype I made is hooked to an Akrapovic can (model C in the link) and the motor sounds like an SV650 with an Akro exhaust... IMO so much nicer than the usual 2-2 cruiser or drag pipes.

The XVS650 is such an awesome bike... stone reliable, comfortable for all day cruising and fires up in less than a second even when the temps get down to 0°F.

Comment

• dowood1
                  • May 2019

Interesting post Skjoll , never considered a single down draft , great idea
                  My main plan is to make my bike simpler, lighter and easier to work on .
                  Would be interested to hear how you get on with the single downdraught idea .
                  Have a two into one on my bike too , using an old HD silencer , they seem to sound better on a 2 into 1 .
                  Thanks for the reading on the SU’s should keep occupied for a while
                  I’m 6’5” so getting the air filter out the way is good for me . Was considering a forward facing single SU .
                  But your path is a good option too.
                  Someting to think on !

Comment

• dowood1
                    • May 2019

‘‘Twas mot time again on thurs . But it passed with no problems .
                    Now it’s the cars mot time next week , hey ho !

Comment

• dowood1
                      • May 2019

Got a piece of suitable billet to replace the rear shock, just trying to work out how to drill the holes square with only a battery hand drill

Comment

• dowood1
                        • May 2019

Have got a h4 1 1/2 “ SU carburettor for the xvs650 as I had read a 40mm carb was the best bet , for a single carb conversion
                        But have now read that it could be a 40 mm outside dia spigot and should be a 30mm carb which would be the h2
                        Have I got the right carb size please.
                        My confusion comes from looking at a website called vtc motors ( sorry cannot do a link st the mo )
                        Who at the mo seem to list two single carb manifolds . With to my mind two confusing size descriptions for each .
                        I have asked them for clarification ! . But has any one any more information
                        Last edited by dowood1; 06-01-2019, 6:08 AM.

Comment

• dowood1
                          • May 2019

Very helpful company and quick responses ( vtc motors ) good prices for the manifolds to .
                          Looks like I can use the h4 carb as it is a 38mm ID and the rubber mounting pipe on the manifold takes 40 to 43 mm (with jetting and setting up of course) , and making or getting an adaptor made to mount it on the manifold which has a 38mm ID
                          Last edited by dowood1; 06-01-2019, 6:53 AM.

Comment

• dowood1
                            • May 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	6D831740-803A-4A70-9633-0EE22513583E.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1310982
                            Managed to get a clearance pillar drill from a local , builders merchants . For £30 not exactly great but it did the job !

Oh yeah car failed the test , so gonna scrap it, not replace it and concentrate on the bike
                            Last edited by dowood1; 06-02-2019, 9:38 AM.

Comment

• dowood1
                              • May 2019

Putting a strut in the rear made the hard seat difficult to use as the 2” seat springs were only for decoration and had a bolt thru the middle of them .
                              Redesigned the mounts to use the springs , but they were rubbish & bottomed out while stationary . Have upgraded them with some better quality 3” chrome ones which are much better . Now I just want to get rid of the rubbish standard frame bridge they’re mounted on . Have got a bit of 30mm tubing to make a cross rail about 3-4” further back, which will line up with the springs better & also be appx 2” lower and look and feel a lot better and can also act as a mounting point for the rear mudguard tidying things up a bit more
                              Last edited by dowood1; 06-07-2019, 2:27 PM.

Comment

• Luky
                                • May 2018

Originally posted by dowood1
                                Putting a strut in the rear made the hard seat difficult to use as the 2” seat springs were only for decoration and had a bolt thru the middle of them .
                                Redesigned the mounts to use the springs , but they were rubbish & bottomed out while stationary . Have upgraded them with some better quality 3” chrome ones which are much better . Now I just want to get rid of the rubbish standard frame bridge they’re mounted on . Have got a bit of 30mm tubing to make a cross rail about 3-4” further back, which will line up with the springs better & also be appx 2” lower and look and feel a lot better and can also act as a mounting point for the rear mudguard tidying things up a bit more
                                The behive springs work much better than the weak cylindrical springs.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;