CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default State Laws on choppers

So Iím building my first chopper now and Iím at the point where the frame is complete the bike is essentially a roller and Iím tryin to look up the laws in my state ď MarylandĒ for custom built bikes. Does anyone know where I could find like a cutaway of the parameters I have to meet. Iíd like to have no turn signals because there gonna look like two rabbit ears on my fender but is that legal? Do I have to have mirrors? Front brake and rear break or just rear. I have a few things Iíd like to find out

Get Adobe Flash player

I used to live in Maryland in a previous life. Miss it like a motherfucker. Call the local Harley dealer who should be a state inspector. Or look up the state motor code for motorcycles. Good luck and make sure all your numbers are legit.

I’ve been riding my long bike for years with no inspection, mirrors, horn, or front brake. Only ever been pulled over twice and they never mentioned any of it. As long as the numbers are legit (by me) they don’t give a shit. I also don’t really speed or drive crazy far since it’s a 40 over girder

Get Adobe Flash player

In Maryland?

Don't know about Murlyn, but you need a headlight, tail light and brake light in VA and that's it. Ask the guys where you'll get the single inspection you'll ever need, they should know.

John

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jdmboyd View Post
    don't know about murlyn, but you need a headlight, tail light and brake light in va and that's it. Ask the guys where you'll get the single inspection you'll ever need, they should know.

John
    and a front brake in va.

Get Adobe Flash player

Tall apes can be a problem getting past inspection, if your bars are taller
    than shoulder height. and of course loud pipes.

Get Adobe Flash player

What do the applicable DMV rules say?

Titled frame or special construction? If special construction I'd visit DMV, find an inspector (preferably the one to inspect your bike, which can conveniently be with you on a trailer or you can bring printed detailed photos) and take notes while asking. Hearsay on the internet isn't current law or current practice in YOUR state. No other state matters. No other laws matter. No other practice or custom matters. I would not even try to do it by phone. Human interaction gets shit done.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mv...ade_motorcycle

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mv.../58000-01T.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbard View Post
    and a front brake in va.
    Hubbard, and of course a front brake. I feel like a puss, sporting both a front and back brake...

John

Get Adobe Flash player

I feel like a puss, sporting both a front and back brake...
    Try performing a few maximum stops at the same speed taking a mail box etc as your starting mark. Work down to the shortest stopping distance you can with rear brake only and mark with chalk. Repeat with both brakes.

Note the difference then decide. The whole idea of no front brake is pretty retarded but was easier to get away with in the 1970s when the country wasn't crowded. It's a different world today unless you live and stay in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Try performing a few maximum stops at the same speed taking a mail box etc as your starting mark. Work down to the shortest stopping distance you can with rear brake only and mark with chalk. Repeat with both brakes.

Note the difference then decide. The whole idea of no front brake is pretty retarded but was easier to get away with in the 1970s when the country wasn't crowded. It's a different world today unless you live and stay in the country.
    Farm,

Hear you re both brakes. I normally use the rear 90% of the time and only the front when I need to get into it and stop now. It's exciting when the rear starts to skid, gets a lil' sideways and the front saves you from rear ending the stopped car in front of you. Unpucker and the voice in your head says Dumbass, you're going too fast, pay attention...

Get Adobe Flash player

Ran no front brake on any of the springer bikes I've had and on the Sporty. When I bought the Ultra it had anit-locks on front and rear. Used them a couple of times and was glad I had them, really does make a BIG difference on gravel. I did enough track racing when I was young that I am confident when I pull that front lever and while not as cool looking as a spindle with a straight laced wheel, a nice disk setup looks ok in my book.

The '56 has the single disk up front and I would say that 70% of my braking is the front with the rear there to finish it up. When I went out yesterday some middle age woman was pulling out of the Costco, looked me dead in the eye and then pulled in front of me. Locked up the rear AND pulled hard on the front. I was really glad I had that front because the back just went into a skid and it was the front that ended up bringing me to a stop.

But then I am living in a high traffic area right now with lots of people from around the world all driving differently. I will be glad to get to a less populated part of the country ! ! ! !

Share This